News Flash-Splendor now skipping Maztalan!

gargoyle999

...and people being hanged from bridges.

The same people who blast Carnival (and others) for pulling out of Mazatlan are the same ones who would sue Carnival if their loved ones were hurt in any sort of incident there. So damned if they do, sued if they don't.

From what I know tomorrow we should hear a permanent decision regarding Mazatlan according to John... talks are now at the governmental level. So this is no joke. It's gone above the cruise line's heads.

My thoughts precisely! Plus the people who go into town to get drunk then inadvertantly end up somewhere they should not be. Take note - Princess and HAL are still going there this week. What does that tell you? The answer is not the stupidity of Princess and HAL. Could it be a different demographic?

It is being reported that Carnival has suspended the port stops in Mazatlan. They aren't scheduled for the immediate future.

To me it appears to be through March....my cruise is April 1. I called Carnival and they insist we are still scheduled for Mazatlan. No decision has been made to cancel our stop there at this time. I wonder why they keep putting it off. It would be easier to make plans if we knew for sure.

John Heald hasn't made it clear at his facebook site either. Our April 1 Spirit 9 day cruise is never mentioned by anyone. :(

Gina

Just got off the spirit 9 day cruise sunday and they did cancel our stop in mazatlan. We were notified on Monday that we would be doing a second day in Cabo instead of Mazatlan to replace the first day port Cabo cancelation due to high winds.

It is being reported that Carnival has suspended the port stops in Mazatlan. They aren't scheduled for the immediate future.

To me it appears to be through March....my cruise is April 1. I called Carnival and they insist we are still scheduled for Mazatlan. No decision has been made to cancel our stop there at this time. I wonder why they keep putting it off. It would be easier to make plans if we knew for sure.

John Heald hasn't made it clear at his facebook site either. Our April 1 Spirit 9 day cruise is never mentioned by anyone. :(

Gina

Gina

they probably don't want to make the announcement until too late, as it gives the pax a chance to get a full refund without penalty for a itinerary change.

The changes have not been put on the Carnival web site.

We are on the 9day Spirit leaving this Friday and have received e-mails telling us of the complete itinerary change.

2sea days, then Manzanillo, then Puerto Vallarta, then Cabo, La Paz , and back to Cabo, then 1 sea day home to San Diego.

they probably don't want to make the announcement until too late, as it gives the pax a chance to get a full refund without penalty for a itinerary change.

I've never heard of any cruise line giving a refund after final payment because of an itinerary change. I thought itineraries can be changed for any reason by the cruise line and we have to live with it. Where does it state passengers can get a refund this close to sail date because of a change in itinerary? :confused:

Here is what their website says about this

"If the itinerary change is for reasons beyond Carnival’s exclusive control, including but not limited to safety, security, weather, strikes, tides, hostilities, civil unrest, port closings, emergency debarkations of guests or crew, late air, sea, car or motor coach departures or arrivals, mechanical breakdowns or problems not known to Carnival, itinerary changes consistent with U.S. State Department travel warnings / advisories or other applicable US or foreign governmental advisories, guests will not be provided any compensation. Guests electing to cancel will be subject to the standard cancellation terms. "

I'd say it's a safety change so there is no way out without paying the penalty. It would be nice if they let us know now so appropriate plans can be made for a new port. No one can plan anything without a port and date.

Gina

I've never heard of any cruise line giving a refund after final payment because of an itinerary change. I thought itineraries can be changed for any reason by the cruise line and we have to live with it. Where does it state passengers can get a refund this close to sail date because of a change in itinerary? :confused:

Gina

right in carnival's contract. but there's a window after the announcement that you must do this in.

Someone on here is going to deny this but this actually happened...TODAY...approximately 4 hours ago, to be exact.

DH & I are on a Carnival Mexican Riviera cruise in September 2011. My mother-in-law and father-in-law have been debating joining us. They called this afternoon and decided to book the cruise. My mother-in-law was unaware of the situation with Mazatlan, FYI. She emailed me and said.. "we were told that that at this point the cruise was not going to Mazatlan because of a drug war that might change between now and then but not to expect that stop" I called her tonight and she said they did not offer any information about another stop option or etc but simply that the agent said they had to inform anyone scheduling that the boat, at this time, is not stopping in Mazatlan.

For the record, I realize this could change any day because they said "at this time" but I do think it is interesting that they are mentioning this for a SEPTEMBER cruise.

Either way, I would just like to know more than a week or so before the cruise...

Why not Manzanillo for both Spirit and Splendor? I have on good authority from a friend with siblings working in Manzanillo that it is low key (like Cabo 20 yrs ago) and safe.

Don't delude yourself about Cabo being safe. Cabo has issues too but they are well hidden.

Don't delude yourself about Cabo being safe. Cabo has issues too but they are well hidden.

Every city has issues. I'm just hearing Manzanillo is similar to Cabo years ago -- issues well hidden, let's say. And, with Splendor, why spend 2 days in Cabo when Manzanillo is right around the corner from PV? Just slightly further (round trip) than Mazatlan to Cabo (one-way).

I hope Carnival would consider La Paz for the substitute. It is a beautiful port.

The 9 days are already stopping at LaPaz... and from the reports... there is pretty-much nothing to do there... take a bus to a so-so beach or take a bus to town and walk around :confused:

Every city has issues. I'm just hearing Manzanillo is similar to Cabo years ago -- issues well hidden, let's say. And, with Splendor, why spend 2 days in Cabo when Manzanillo is right around the corner from PV? Just slightly further (round trip) than Mazatlan to Cabo (one-way).

Have to agree!!! We booked our cruise on the Spirit because it did not include 2 days in Cabo!!!

The 9 days are already stopping at LaPaz... and from the reports... there is pretty-much nothing to do there... take a bus to a so-so beach or take a bus to town and walk around :confused:

The 9 day itineraries all seemed to be set up differently. The 4/1 Spirit is NOT scheduled for La Paz and is already scheduled for 2 days in Cabo. It would be nice to know if we are going to Mazatlan or not. It would really be nice if Carnival would just make a decision and let us know now where we are going. On the phone they are still saying we are going to Mazatlan.

Gina

We have cruised the Mexican Riviera several times and then chose Mazatlan as a place to live. The port charges are high and one wonders if that is part of the reason ships are pulling out. Perhaps it is that poll that allows anyone to post whether they no anything about Mazatlan or have ever been here. You can word a poll to get a desired outcome, especially if there are no controlled demographics that are responders.

There are more tourists being robbed and assaulted in Jamaica and other caribbean ports than in Mazatlan and the cruise industry keeps going there.

Even the US state department allows US government employees to roam freely and drive there own vehicles in Mazatlan. In many other parts of Mexico US employees are required in armored vehicles The State Department must think Mazatlan is as safe as other cities of this size. Too bad so many will miss The Plaza Machado and the historic district.

We have cruised the Mexican Riviera several times and then chose Mazatlan as a place to live. The port charges are high and one wonders if that is part of the reason ships are pulling out. Perhaps it is that poll that allows anyone to post whether they no anything about Mazatlan or have ever been here. You can word a poll to get a desired outcome, especially if there are no controlled demographics that are responders.

There are more tourists being robbed and assaulted in Jamaica and other caribbean ports than in Mazatlan and the cruise industry keeps going there.

Even the US state department allows US government employees to roam freely and drive there own vehicles in Mazatlan. In many other parts of Mexico US employees are required in armored vehicles The State Department must think Mazatlan is as safe as other cities of this size. Too bad so many will miss The Plaza Machado and the historic district.

I have to agree!!! We are very disappointed Mazatlan has been eliminated from our cruise which starts on Sunday. Mazatlan was the reason we chose this cruise!!!

Beach and town.......pretty much sums it up for most cruise ship ports;)

...and people being hanged from bridges.

The same people who blast Carnival (and others) for pulling out of Mazatlan are the same ones who would sue Carnival if their loved ones were hurt in any sort of incident there. So damned if they do, sued if they don't.

From what I know tomorrow we should hear a permanent decision regarding Mazatlan according to John... talks are now at the governmental level. So this is no joke. It's gone above the cruise line's heads.

Mazatlan has bridges:confused:

Archived