Anyone done this- or something similiar in Ketchikan

stevenikkij

We have an 8 yo daughter that loves animals, so we liked the looks of this one, any reviews or anyone know about it? Thanks!

Nature Sanctuary, Eagle center & Totems

A coastal drive takes you to the Alaska Rainforest Sanctuary, a private reserve located in the forested mountains in rustic Herring Cove. This pristine natural environment is home to several species of wildlife, attracted by the major salmon runs in the abundant marine estuary. You'll be greeted by your naturalist and guided along an improved trail through the heart of the dense forest, amongst tall stands of hemlock, spruce and Alaska cedar. Your guide will lead you to a protected open estuary, where you follow Eagle Creek along an elevated wooden boardwalk overlooking grassy wetlands. During the spawning season, bears and seals feed on salmon returning to this pristine environment. If you like nature, you'll love this tour. At the conclusion of the half-mile trail hike, you'll have an opportunity to interact with, feed, and photograph Alaskan reindeer. Also, see Bald Eagles up close at the Alaska Wild Life Foundation. After observing these gentle creatures, be guided through the historic Herring Bay Lumber Company sawmill, established by legendary pioneer Ben Fleenor, and visit a master native totem pole carver at work. Explore and learn about this renowned site and receive a sample of aromatic local Alaskan cedar. Note: Wear comfortable walking shoes and warm clothing. This tour operates in all weather conditions. Rain ponchos provided if needed. Wildlife sightings are not guaranteed and are more frequent in mid summer.

Your daughter will probably like it. The Raindeer will be the highlight, Do not expect any other wildlife except eagles, which you can see for free, all over Alaska.

I think it's an extremely high cost for what you get, and only you can determine, it's worth for you.

I was checking your timeframe, and see you posted about bears. This is NOT a good option if those are still your priority.

Your daughter will probably like it. The Raindeer will be the highlight, Do not expect any other wildlife except eagles, which you can see for free, all over Alaska.

I think it's an extremely high cost for what you get, and only you can determine, it's worth for you.

I was checking your timeframe, and see you posted about bears. This is NOT a good option if those are still your priority.

No I wasn't expecting to see bears- sad about that(maybe next time- we will plan a different time), we were going for the nature hike, reindeer, and thought it would be something different to do.

My Mom did what sounds like this and enjoyed it. We were there in Sept. and she even saw a bear.

Jen in SoCal

We have an 8 yo daughter that loves animals, so we liked the looks of this one, any reviews or anyone know about it? Thanks!

Nature Sanctuary, Eagle center & Totems

A coastal drive takes you to the Alaska Rainforest Sanctuary, a private reserve located in the forested mountains in rustic Herring Cove. This pristine natural environment is home to several species of wildlife, attracted by the major salmon runs in the abundant marine estuary. You'll be greeted by your naturalist and guided along an improved trail through the heart of the dense forest, amongst tall stands of hemlock, spruce and Alaska cedar. Your guide will lead you to a protected open estuary, where you follow Eagle Creek along an elevated wooden boardwalk overlooking grassy wetlands. During the spawning season, bears and seals feed on salmon returning to this pristine environment. If you like nature, you'll love this tour. At the conclusion of the half-mile trail hike, you'll have an opportunity to interact with, feed, and photograph Alaskan reindeer. Also, see Bald Eagles up close at the Alaska Wild Life Foundation. After observing these gentle creatures, be guided through the historic Herring Bay Lumber Company sawmill, established by legendary pioneer Ben Fleenor, and visit a master native totem pole carver at work. Explore and learn about this renowned site and receive a sample of aromatic local Alaskan cedar. Note: Wear comfortable walking shoes and warm clothing. This tour operates in all weather conditions. Rain ponchos provided if needed. Wildlife sightings are not guaranteed and are more frequent in mid summer.

We took a similar tour several years ago (2004) and thought it was a lot of money for what you did and saw. We did the rainforest walk, the estuary, and the sawmill. No raindeer. We saw more eagles at the dock than at the estuary. I would not choose to do it again.

We did this Sept 2009. It is a bit pricey for what you get, but everything is expensive there!

My wife & I love nature and wildlife. We enjoyed the walk thru the rainforest and birdwatching. Then there is an elevated walkway over the estuary, and seeing hundreds of salmon from the walkway was cool. Unfortunately no bear sightings but we did see seals. And the walkway was slippery with droppings from numerous seagulls. :eek:

The sawmill was ok. Then we got a chance to handfeed some reindeer. Next we viewed up close rescued bald eagle (~10 feet away), and a lady holding an owl. It's awesome (and free) watching eagles nesting and flying around AK, but you can't get a true sense of how large they are!

Totem pole carving? Never saw it, just walking pass the door and smelling the cedar induced a bad asthma attack. :eek: Don't ask me why, but my wife took the cedar sample given out. It ended up in the trash. :)

We really enjoyed this tour. Your daughter might get a kick feeding Rudolf.

We did this Sept 2009. It is a bit pricey for what you get, but everything is expensive there!

My wife & I love nature and wildlife. We enjoyed the walk thru the rainforest and birdwatching. Then there is an elevated walkway over the estuary, and seeing hundreds of salmon from the walkway was cool. Unfortunately no bear sightings but we did see seals. And the walkway was slippery with droppings from numerous seagulls. :eek:

The sawmill was ok. Then we got a chance to handfeed some reindeer. Next we viewed up close rescued bald eagle (~10 feet away), and a lady holding an owl. It's awesome (and free) watching eagles nesting and flying around AK, but you can't get a true sense of how large they are!

Totem pole carving? Never saw it, just walking pass the door and smelling the cedar induced a bad asthma attack. :eek: Don't ask me why, but my wife took the cedar sample given out. It ended up in the trash. :)

We really enjoyed this tour. Your daughter might get a kick feeding Rudolf.

Thanks alot for the feedback and the pics. I'm still not sure we will do the tour- gonna talk to the hubby and see what his thoughts are. :)

Archived