if you've been to Nassau, Freeport, or Key West..

lemonlime403

we need help trying to figure out what to do on these islands.

we know that freeport doesnt have much going on like the other 2 so we figured thatd be a good place to snorkle. Has anyone snorkled there before? if so where? or have any other ideas for freeport?

In nassau we heard there were much more sites to see but we werent too sure what is best? also we were thinking of day passes. we are college students about to graduate soo any day passes that include food and alcohol would be great if anyone knows of any? or if anyone has any other ideas for nassau i would love to hear them!

and for key west we honestly have no idea what to do. any ideas?

If you look down, there is a thread about someone paying the bargain basement price of $139 PER PERSON for Atlantis. Some of those all inclusives arent all that cheap, nor a great deal if you are trying to save money. Comfort Inn?? One of those, next door to Atlantis, I think you can use the same beach for cheaper for instance. You need to go to the ports of call board and read thru the suggestions.

I love Key West, but its not a beach stop. Little tiny beach. I walked to southernmost point, past Hemingway House, went to the library for half an hour of free internet time. I walked the island. Most people pay for a trolley as it is quite a walk. There is a hop on hop off trolley.

I did one of the City View Trolley HOHO bus tours on Key West. Saw everything I wanted and spent time where I wanted. A good deal. Easy walk from the pier to the ticket office and first bus stop. There was still time to walk around on my own afterwards, even after spending over an hour at Hemingway House.

You're college students right? Me too.

I live in Miami and go to Key West a couple times a year. Take a trolly tour there, the conch train. It let's you get off and get back on. That way you see the whole island. Also it stops on Duval which is where you wanna drink. Don't snorkel in Key West. In my opinion, the beaches are crap. Maybe I'm used to South Beach, but in Key West the beaches tend to be rocky.

In Nassau I would recommend going to cabbage beach or Atlantis...both are gonna be good.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Been to both Nassau and Freeport twice. We absolutely loved the Atlantis aquaventure. It's a little pricey but we loved the water park and went on every slide at least 3-4 times. They have one with lunch included I think but not 'all inclusive' with alcohol.

We've done the Dolphin swim (amazing) and gone snorkling in Freeport. Again, there isn't much to do right off the boat there so I'd recommend doing an excursion. The snorkling was pretty good. They take you to a nice reef area where there are plenty of fish. We saw a baracuda but he hauled ass when 40+ people all got in the water.

The beach in Key West makes a beautiful backdrop for a wedding. Wish I was going back there this year. After we got married we went parasailing and still had enough time to stop at a couple places for drinks. Rent a moped or one of the battery operated cars and see all the sites.

We walked on our own in Key West, and enjoyed it. In Freeport we just looked around the market, and then relaxed on the ship. In Nassau we walked through the shopping district, then went to Atlantis at night. We took a $4pp cab, then just walked around for free.

Take a trolly tour there, the conch train. It let's you get off and get back on. That way you see the whole island. Also it stops on Duval which is where you wanna drink. Don't snorkel in Key West. In my opinion, the beaches are crap. Maybe I'm used to South Beach, but in Key West the beaches tend to be rocky..

Just so the OP isnt confused...there is both a trolley, hop on, hop off AND there is a conch train, which is more like a tour where you stay put and it drives around the island showing you the sights and back to the start location.

I prefer the trolley to the conch train....just wanted to say its two separate things.

My recommendation is stay onboard... eat for free!

Nassau - Hilton, British Colonial - is within walking distance.

Senor Frogs on way back. There is couple inclusives but not worth $40 or more when you can eat onboard. That is several buckets of beer!

It's so commericalize, not the best snorkling.

Key West - walk around. Eat Key Lime Pie.

I believe each person can carry on a bottle of wine at Embarkation.

I recommend buying a soda card (or carry on one 12 pack per person - can bring more onboard at each port) and then buy shots to add to soda Or preorder some alcohol to be in room on arrival.

Key West: Walk around and enjoy the day. Walking to the southernmost point of the US is fun and there's a little beach there. Also, walking around the cemetery is enjoyable too as it has the funniest epitaphs on earth.

Nassau: Take a cab to Cabbage Beach on Paradise Island. It's free and next to Atlantis.

I would eat on the ship in both ports and buy individual drinks at either port - there's a store on the beach in Nassau for soda, beer, etc.

Port Lacuya is a easy cab ride from Freeport and has nice shops and a nice beach. If there is an excursion to the National Park on Grand Bahama Island it is worth the money. One of the most beautiful beaches I have ever seen.

we know that freeport doesnt have much going on like the other 2 so we figured thatd be a good place to snorkle. Has anyone snorkled there before? if so where? or have any other ideas for freeport?

In nassau we heard there were much more sites to see but we werent too sure what is best? also we were thinking of day passes. we are college students about to graduate soo any day passes that include food and alcohol would be great if anyone knows of any? or if anyone has any other ideas for nassau i would love to hear them!

Grand Bahama one of my favorite places anywhere... But you have to get out a bit. Google Gold Rock Beach... Snorkeling at Paradise Cove... Our Lucaya... Tony Macaroni Conch Experience... Sand Bar... Xanadu Beach...

In Nassau, our favorite excursion is Blue Lagoon....

In Key West, it is fun to do the tour train because you get oriented and can get off and get back on wherever you want... Or just go to Sloppy Joes or The Bull and Whistle Bar.

Believe it or not, the graveyard is really interesting... One tombstone has the epitaph, 'I Told You I Was Sick!'

But I bet you'll love Duval Street.

I'd go with Cabbage Beach in Nassua too. Taking the $4 cab each way is best, they let you off right at the beach and there are always lots of cabs for the return trip, or you can take the water taxi for $3, they give a narration of who lives in which homes along the waters as they travel to Paradise Island, then a 10-15 minute walk usually through hotels and such to Cabbage Beach. Last time we took the water taxi round trip, next time the regular taxi. If I was a first timer knowing what I know now, I'd take the water taxi one way and a cab the other.

How far of a walk is it from where the boat ports to the southern most part of the US? It is a reasonable walking distance?

Just to clarify, Carnival docks at the military pier and you board directly onto a trolley that takes you into town near the shipwreck museum. You can't walk around at the pier, it's semi-high security, and when you return, they check ID and sign-and-sail cards on the trolley.

You could walk it, about a mile and half. And it's flat, no hills. But it will probably be humid...

I agree - very humid, we were there 2 weeks ago and the temp was barely 70, but the humidity is high.

I suggest the trolly in Key West. Go to old town trolley tours dot com and you can book it a few bucks cheaper. you can get off and on as much as you want

I am w/ the conch train or the trolly tour, both are good for Key West.

Stop in Hog Breaths for a tee shirt, "Hogs breath is better than no breath at all":rolleyes: Of course, have to have a drink @ SloppyJoes!

The graveyard is intersting too as is a Key lime store that sells everthing that has Key Lime in it from food to hair products to creams.

Just to clarify, Carnival docks at the military pier and you board directly onto a trolley that takes you into town near the shipwreck museum. You can't walk around at the pier, it's semi-high security, and when you return, they check ID and sign-and-sail cards on the trolley.

I agree - very humid, we were there 2 weeks ago and the temp was barely 70, but the humidity is high.

All Carnival ships do not dock at the Navy Pier. The Freedom in January docked at the Westin Pier.

I am loving this thread, as I am taking this trip in June on the Triumph. I have been so confused trying to figure out which excursion to do where. I think we have finally decided to just wing it in Key West. But I still can't decide where to snorkel. Is Freeport better or Nassau? I was thinking of doing the beach day at the Radission excursion in Freeport, and hoping we could rent some snorkel equipment there. But who knows if there is anything to be seen off the beach there? In Nassau they have Atlantis, but the excursion prices are so high, I'm thinking we might either snorkel or do the Blue Lagoon. It's so overwhelming! :eek:

Been to both Nassau and Freeport twice. We absolutely loved the Atlantis aquaventure. It's a little pricey but we loved the water park and went on every slide at least 3-4 times. They have one with lunch included I think but not 'all inclusive' with alcohol.

We've done the Dolphin swim (amazing) and gone snorkling in Freeport. Again, there isn't much to do right off the boat there so I'd recommend doing an excursion. The snorkling was pretty good. They take you to a nice reef area where there are plenty of fish. We saw a baracuda but he hauled ass when 40+ people all got in the water.

Do you know about any of the forts there? We are going to Nassau and my DH and myself would like to tour the forts. I now that there ae excursions that go there but it would be nice to know if anyone has experienced it?

Archived