Bring ships back to the US

;)Wouldnt it be nice if Rcl/Celeb would cruise the coast line of the USA instead making us fly so far......after all Americans spend the most on cruises according to Conde' Nast Traveler.

That would be great at certain times of the year for sure. There is only 1 fly in the ointment. There is a law on the books that is commonly called the Jones Act. This law prevents foreign vessels from transporting people between US ports without a stop at a foreign destination. Since all RCCL/Celebrity ships are foreign registry this law applies directly to them. The only major cruise ship that is US flagged is NCL's Pride of America.

If the OP is asking for more US homeports, I think they have it covered pretty good along the east and Gulf coasts. The market showed them what how the west coast is so they left. I'm sure they are making good money having the Indy and Brilliance in Europe and SE Asia (not up on what other ships are over there). If the OP is asking for cruises that only sail to US port, then the post above addresses that.

Would like at least 1 ship from each cruise line here in the summer for the Caribbean from Florida ports.

Now, the only cruises available are the Oasis and Allure for RCCL. We have been on the Oasis and do not want a repeat. Also, Carnival has cruises to the Caribbean. But, all the rest leave the country

Would not mind been proven wrong------------------------

Please keep some ships in Florida year round. RCI is trying to force us to sail on the Allure and Oasis and I don't want any part of these ships. Next fall they have cut down on 7 day cruises except for these large ships. The Jewel will be doing 4 and 5 days, not worth the effort. Please bring back the 7 wand 10 day cruises and keep the big ship for those that want it. Give us a choice

Would like at least 1 ship from each cruise line here in the summer for the Caribbean from Florida ports.

Now, the only cruises available are the Oasis and Allure for RCCL. We have been on the Oasis and do not want a repeat. Also, Carnival has cruises to the Caribbean. But, all the rest leave the country

You forgot the Freedom out of Pt.Canaveral,,great ship....:cool:

Royal Caribbean still has the Freedom of the Seas doing 7 night cruises to the Eastern and Western Caribbean from Port Canaveral.

Please keep some ships in Florida year round. RCI is trying to force us to sail on the Allure and Oasis and I don't want any part of these ships. Next fall they have cut down on 7 day cruises except for these large ships. The Jewel will be doing 4 and 5 days, not worth the effort. Please bring back the 7 wand 10 day cruises and keep the big ship for those that want it. Give us a choice

Did you overlook the fact that RCI also offers the Freedom of the Seas from Port Canaveral year round? No matter how often it is said, some people fail to understand that demand for cruises during the summer is greater in other parts of the world than it is in Florida and the Caribbean. If the demand were there and the profits would be as great, you can be sure that RCI and other lines would keep more ships in Florida, but the demand just doesn't justify it.

If Oasis and Allure don't interest you, and you might be pleasantly surprised if you actually tried a cruise on one of them, you still have Freedom to fall back on. You can believe that RCI is trying to "force" you to sail on their newest and largest ships by moving their other ships to other locations, but the reason is really more that those other locations offer them more profit during the summer and RCI is a for-profit corporation. If they did not understand and react appropriately to the demands of the general cruising population instead of the demands of a smaller, special interest group, the executives who make deployment decisions would not keep their jobs.

For a large part of the year you have the wide range of options you are requesting but, even with 22 ships in their fleet, it does not make good fiscal sense to keep ships in regions where the demand doesn't justify it.:)

Also, Serenade does the Southern Caribbean during the summer, and Explorer is doing the Caribbean and Bermuda year-round from NJ, which adds to the choices of Oasis, Allure and Freedom

But acknowledging those ships and their itineraries would damage his hypothesis that "forcing" people to cruise on Oasis and Allure, is the reason that ships are deployed elsewhere.:rolleyes:

I'd like to see a bit more options for 4-5 night cruises. I'm trying to book a cruise with a friend for the summer. Radiance will be out of Tampa by then. We live in NY and really the only option for us without flying is Bermuda. Thankfully thats where we want to go and I've been on that cruise before I know its a good one.

I just don't have the time with my job to do a 7 day cruise.

There is a big world out there - try exploring it once in awhile.

The cruiselines (all of them) are going to go where the money is and obviously that's not in the U.S./Caribbean in the summer.

There are a lot of other people who would like to cruise and not pay those outrageous air fares either. How about the Europeans having some of that home porting for at least part of the year.

There is plenty of choice in the U.S. You may have to go a little farther afield but the rest of us are used to doing that. Everything just can't go out of Florida 12 months of the year.

But acknowledging those ships and their itineraries would damage his hypothesis that "forcing" people to cruise on Oasis and Allure, is the reason that ships are deployed elsewhere.:rolleyes:

Any idea why RCI won't offer the 8 night eastern on Oasis/Allure?

They would probably want to alternate it with a 6 night cruise, to maintain the Sat or Sun turnaround and 14 day schedule for both cruises. (Like the Explorer alternates 9 night with 5 night). I imagine they feel that the 6 night has less appeal.

I'm not sure what advantage they would see to such a schedule. They would have to alternate it with a six night cruise and the present schedule allows them to offer both the Oasis or Allure on weekends, one sailing on Saturday and the other on Sunday. Having a regular schedule with ships sailing on the same day each week makes it easier for everyone to understand and plan for. Certainly lines sometimes offer a 6 and 8 day schedule but it isn't the norm and, as I said, I'm not sure what the advantage would be for the cruiseline or for potential passengers. Even the more common 10 and 11 night itineraries present some logistical problems.

That would be great at certain times of the year for sure. There is only 1 fly in the ointment. There is a law on the books that is commonly called the Jones Act. This law prevents foreign vessels from transporting people between US ports without a stop at a foreign destination. Since all RCCL/Celebrity ships are foreign registry this law applies directly to them. The only major cruise ship that is US flagged is NCL's Pride of America.

THE PASSENGER VESSEL SERVICES ACT OF 1886

(Not to be confused with The Jones Act that involves cargo))

This Act allows only ships, either built in the U.S or sailing under a U.S. Flag, to carry passengers between two U.S. ports.

If the OP is asking for more US homeports, I think they have it covered pretty good along the east and Gulf coasts. The market showed them what how the west coast is so they left. I'm sure they are making good money having the Indy and Brilliance in Europe and SE Asia (not up on what other ships are over there). If the OP is asking for cruises that only sail to US port, then the post above addresses that.

They don't have the Gulf Coast covered in the Summer! Only in the winter. Oh, and there are going to be 9 other ships BESIDES the Independence and Brilliance in Europe this summer! :(

Be nice. I’m not ready to cry conspiracy theory, but let’s at least consider it marketing “strategy”. I agree with your earlier post -- RCL is a for profit organization. If what you say is true, why doesn’t RCL move one of the monsters to Europe? If demand is so great over there, they could easily fill them up and fetch a premium. Leave a couple of the smaller ships in the US and provide a variety of choices from US ports.

Be nice. I’m not ready to cry conspiracy theory, but let’s at least consider it marketing “strategy”. I agree with your earlier post -- RCL is a for profit organization. If what you say is true, why doesn’t RCL move one of the monsters to Europe? If demand is so great over there, they could easily fill them up and fetch a premium. Leave a couple of the smaller ships in the US and provide a variety of choices from US ports.

Once upon a time, a large segment of the cruising population considered the Voyager class a monster sized ship, and wouldn't go near them. Then after the public got used to the size and the other lines started to build very large ships......

These same people started mouthing off about the Freedom class, being a monster sized ship and wouldn't go near them. Now the other lines are starting to catch up with Royal and are building ships that hold 3,600 + people......

The same folks are mouthing off about the Oasis/Allure.

In any case, Royal has a firm contract with FLL to keep the large twosome there for a number of years and a contract to keep a Freedom-class ship in PC for a number of years so they ain't going anywhere.

Celebrity and Princess have also decided to leave Florida except for winter sailings. So your choice is Carnival or RCI.

Oasis, Allure, Freedom, Explorer, Serenade. Five ships

There are people who get paid big bucks at RCI to decide which ships best serve each market and they seem satisfied that their current deployment plans provides them with the balance that they need to satisfy the demand for their various sized ships and to maximize the revenue those ships generate. As you probably realize, there are currently a limited number of ports of call which can handle Oasis class ships, so moving them to Europe is probably not feasible even without considering the firm commitment that RCI made to the Port Everglades Port Authority to operate those ships out of their port for a number of years. They have based Independence in Europe year round and at least three Voyager class ships (Mariner, Navigator, and Voyager) will be sailing in Europe this summer. They can hardly be considered "small ships" except in comparison to the Oasis class. Second guessing the cruise line executives can be interesting but unless we are aware of all of the factors that go into making up a deployment plan, it is not much more than wishful thinking that usually falls apart when reality surfaces.:)

This has been discussed before. Right now, the hot market is in Europe, and cruise lines are pulling ships from all over (Alaska, Mexican Riviera, Florida, etc.) to take advantage of the surge in European cruisers. Sailing the Oasis and Allure is the virtual equivalent of four Voyager class ships ... and much more cost effective, especially given the prices. Nobody's slighting anybody ... it's nothing more than a business decision, and it's apparently paying off. Have you looked at RCI's stock prices lately?

Dear friends:

Just on RCCL alone, you are left in the U.S. during the summer with Oasis, Allure, Freedom, Explorer, Enchantment, the 3 and 4 night Bahamas puddle jumpers, the ships that do the Alaska run, as well as a few Celebrity ships.

And they don't fill up well.

The ships every cruise line sends to Europe for the summer season fill to the brim, and the only deals to be had are on the transatlantics and the first few cruises at the beginning and the end of the season (colder weather and no summer vacation for the Europeans yet).

Contrary to the opinion that seems to float around on Cruise Critic, the summer is not at all a popular season to go to the Caribbean. Because of the hot weather, people tend to go to the local beaches along the New York, New Jersey, Virginia coasts, etc. and do things at home that they normally can't do in the winter.

Nearly all Continental Europeans get a vacation of 30 days or more in July or August, and that's not even counting teachers, schoolchildren and college students. Traditionally, all of those people used to spend their vacation at the sea in Spain, France, Italy, Greece, etc. There is a huge, untapped, local market that is flourishing in Europe during the summer season. It's not only RCCL -- nearly every line has most of its fleet in Europe during the summer season. And that doesn't even count lines like Costa (about 16 ships) and MSC (about 11 ships) that are already based here.

NCL's largest, newest, ship will homeport in Barcelona during the season. The Allure and Oasis won't fit anywhere here -- and they weren't built for actual journeys and for cruising around cities -- there's too much open air space built right through the middle of the ships. If one of those ships would indeed fit here in Europe, they probably would have sent one.

Except for Disney World (school vacation), nobody goes to Florida in the summer. And people who live in Florida try to leave in the summer. So what is all the talk about wanting more ships there?

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

You forget about Freedom that sails year round out of Port Canaval along with the Monarch that is doing year long 3/4 day. Along with the Jewel coming to Tampa later this year.

Archived