Train from Cvitavech -3 nights in Monterosso- train to Milan

pmacher61

We disembark cruise in Civitavecchia and will look for train from Civitav. station to Monerosso via a change in La Spezia station. Is that correct?

We disembark early morning on Mar 27- a Sunday - so I wonder whether the trains to La Spezia run frequently. Is the trenitalia schedule available? Is there any advantage to buying passage in advance or will we be okay just buying tickets at the station? First or Second class?

How long does the rIde to Monterosso take ? Four hours? Does the train having a dining car or at least snacks?

When we arrive at La Spezia will it be easy to catch a local train to Monterosso? How long is that ride?

We are spending 3 nights @ Pietre de Mare in Monterosso. I envision we will walk the trails and, if necessary , take trains back to Monterosso in the afternoon or at night if we opt to dine in the village to which we have hiked. Any restaurants not to be missed?

We take train from Monterosso/La Spezia to Milan on Mar 30 and spend a night at Porta de Garibaldi in Milan before heading out on the next day from Malpensa . Any must sees or dos for our 1 night night /day in Milan?

Thanks on advance for taking the time to reply.

We disembark cruise in Civitavecchia and will look for train from Civitav. station to Monerosso via a change in La Spezia station. Is that correct?

Let me check http://trenitalia.com/ and see.

Yes, you change in Monterosso

We disembark early morning on Mar 27- a Sunday - so I wonder whether the trains to La Spezia run frequently. Is the trenitalia schedule available? Is there any advantage to buying passage in advance or will we be okay just buying tickets at the station? First or Second class?

http://trenitalia.com/

Yes, you can buy at the station, or in advance (60 days) online

Your choice to class, First class is a little more spacious, it depends if it's worth it to you (although 2nd is just fine)

How long does the rIde to Monterosso take ? Four hours? Does the train having a dining car or at least snacks?

http://trenitalia.com/ says 3h30-4h15 depending on the train you take

http://trenitalia.com/ says buffet-bar service on the 1st leg (Civitavecchia - La Spezia)

When we arrive at La Spezia will it be easy to catch a local train to Monterosso? How long is that ride?

It will be at the same station, easy

http://trenitalia.com/ say 17 mins

Thanks Scottbee. Are the steps at the various station platforms a problem for your average person with large suitcases? Any other advice to ensure a smooth journey?

I note there is a high speed Freccibianca train leaving Civita at 8:50, but it takes only 13 minutes less to get to La Spezia than does the Intercity train that leaves at 10:37. The high speed train costs about 10 euros more pp. Is it worth it?

Thanks Scottbee. Are the steps at the various station platforms a problem for your average person with large suitcases? Any other advice to ensure a smooth journey?

I note there is a high speed Freccibianca train leaving Civita at 8:50, but it takes only 13 minutes less to get to La Spezia than does the Intercity train that leaves at 10:37. The high speed train costs about 10 euros more pp. Is it worth it?

It probably takes only 13 minutes more, because there's a longer wait at La Spezia for the connecting train anyway.

There are stairs at some stations (including Civitavecchia), as long as you didn't pack your kitchen sink, you'll be OK.

My best advice is HAVE FUN! and don't stress; the trains are great and once you're on board you're experiencing real Italy. You can buy your tickets ahead of time, or at the station, and you validate them by punching them into the yellow machine on the platform. There are both manned ticket counters and machines (which IIRC have English as an option)

hi please tell me if the b.i.r.g. ticket for the train applies in all cities of Italy, is that the ticket that allows a days pass on the train? thanks.i'm looking to take the bus, then train to herculaneum and maybe sorrento first before everything closes for the afternoon. can you buy a one day train pass?

Archived