Galveston...Car or No Car?

realmccoy

So for you locals, or for those that have done it before...how easy is it to get around Galveston? We will be there two days before our cruise. When I booked the flight, I was unaware of the car rental issues in Galveston. I don't know whether to rent a car at IAH and park it at the hotel while on a cruise (will cost me $300 for rental) or get transportation to and from IAH to Galveston (which is not cheap) plus figure out how to get around Galveston when we are there. I am almost thinking the $300 would be worth it as our return flight is at 7pm the day we get off the ship, and I hate sitting in airports. Opinions on how to make this happen? What have others done before?

Galveston is very easy to navigate. You should rent a compact if you want to explore-The city is set up on a number grid- larger number streets as you come into town... you are looking for 28th -24th to get to the Strand (left). Just blocks off Broadway (I-45). Take a right on one of those streets and you hit the beach. You could use the shuttle from the airport but then you might be at a disadvantage if you have a delay, like the folks who were fogged out/in. There are several cruise parking lots near the terminal. If you are there two days prior, you could leave your car at one of the hotels that provide free cruise parking. But, then again, you will have a longer shuttle wait probably than for the cruise lots. If I had my druthers, I'd stay at the Clear Lake Hilton or South Shore Harbor and see Kemah before going down to Galveston proper. For convenience, Harbor House and Tremont House are the closest hotels- walking distance.

Iv just gotten a hotel along SeaWall and walked to whatever, the beach, Kroger, Walmart, forgot something?? Lots of places to eat near enough to walk to.

Take a cab to the port in the morning.

I parked my car and walked. I think SeaWall along the beach is at least 3 miles of food places etc.

Iv just gotten a hotel along SeaWall and walked to whatever, the beach, Kroger, Walmart, forgot something?? Lots of places to eat near enough to walk to.

Take a cab to the port in the morning.

I parked my car and walked. I think SeaWall along the beach is at least 3 miles of food places etc.

So how much is a cab from east end of seawall to the port? We will also be dealing with Mardi Gras road closures on March 6, so I am assuming it will be a little more due to increased distance.

Archived