Celebrity Kids VIP Passes and SeaPass with spending limits

urnojfk

After a loooong winter in Minnesota, we're going to be on the Solstice on March 20th (our spring break week) with our two sons (ages 7 & 10) and I read in the Celebrity Caribbean online brochure that there is something called the VIP Passes for Kids (available at an extra cost). It says that it offers kids behind-the-scenes ship tours, discounts on babysitting, a VIP prize pack, etc..

I searched the forums and can't find any reference. I'm wondering if any parents have taken advantage of this pass and how much it costs.

Also wondering how I get a spending limit attached to my kids SeaPass cards that would allow them to play some games in the arcade, but in a controlled fashion. Perhaps me adding some on sea days both at the beginning and end of the trip.

Thanks

After a loooong winter in Minnesota, we're going to be on the Solstice on March 20th (our spring break week) with our two sons (ages 7 & 10) and I read in the Celebrity Caribbean online brochure that there is something called the VIP Passes for Kids (available at an extra cost). It says that it offers kids behind-the-scenes ship tours, discounts on babysitting, a VIP prize pack, etc..

I searched the forums and can't find any reference. I'm wondering if any parents have taken advantage of this pass and how much it costs.

Also wondering how I get a spending limit attached to my kids SeaPass cards that would allow them to play some games in the arcade, but in a controlled fashion. Perhaps me adding some on sea days both at the beginning and end of the trip.

Thanks

I'm not sure but I don't believe you can have Celebrity put a limit on the kids' cards. That said, I think YOU can tell them that they only can spend $10 a day, $20 a day etc. Do whatever you are comfortable with. You can also tell them that you will check their balances daily (you can do this with the television in your cabin).

I have not heard about the VIP package that you mentioned. May be something new.

Do you plan on letting your 7 and 10 year old go to the arcade alone?

We traveled last year with our 8 and 12 year old and didn't feel comfortable with that.

If they partake in the kids club they will not be allowed in the arcade with out supervision at that age.

I have never heard of VIP pass for kids.

If I remember correctly you can buy a card that fits in the arcade machines and load it with money off of your seapass.

I don't know why your kids would need to charge anything on their sea pass.

B.

Edited by Booyakasha

urnojfk

I also saw the VIP pass for youth listed on the website together with mention of setting spending limits on the sea pass. I haven't been onboard yet, to know how these work. I am also interested in setting daily spending limits so my 12 year old can buy sodas, or play a few games in the arcade with his older brother. I know he would be capable of planning to play two games that turned into to twenty and end up spending much more than expected.

I talked briefly to a Rep from the children' program because I am bringing my grandchildren on Celebrity. The pass costs about $100 per child. It includes really cool things such as a trip to the bridge and behind the stage. It also include extra babysitting. She didn't mention a restriction on the sea pass but it might.

Another really cool thing. On the ships with glass blowing, the children get a special show. The children draw a picture. One of them is picked. The artisan makes it and gives it to the child.:):)

Can't wait to share my love of cruising with my grandchildren!

I talked briefly to a Rep from the children' program because I am bringing my grandchildren on Celebrity. The pass costs about $100 per child. It includes really cool things such as a trip to the bridge and behind the stage. It also include extra babysitting. She didn't mention a restriction on the sea pass but it might.

Another really cool thing. On the ships with glass blowing, the children get a special show. The children draw a picture. One of them is picked. The artisan makes it and gives it to the child.:):)

Can't wait to share my love of cruising with my grandchildren!

Thanks Cruising Teacher -- you got much more information that I did when I called Celebrity to get further detail. The rep indicated that it would cost somewhere between $75 - $125, but wasn't sure just what you get for the charge beyond the vague detail on the site and in the brochure. She urged me to call back during the week as the accessibility group might be able to provide additional assistance. Not sure about that one. I'll of course ask once I get on board.

And thanks to all others who offered their thoughts on usage. If I learn even more prior to debarkation, I'll post it for future reference.

I have learnt not to believe much of what the customer service reps tell me about the kids club because it tends to bear no relation to the facts once you get on board. They really are useless. They actually told me the kids clubs were always closed on port days and there was no in port childcare. I knew it was untrue from earlier cruises but that was the story they gave out... I would not believe anything unless I was told it on the ship by the kids club staff.

There is a VIP pass. I thought it was more like $185 but we didn't do it. It includes all kinds of behind the scenes tours and bridge visits, plus free late night babysitting, dinner parties etc. It really depends how much you use those kinds of things as to how much value you would get out of it. You can get more details from the kids club once you get on board.

My DD actually had her design made at the hot glass show on the Eclipse last summer. She drew an ice cream and one of the artists actually designed an ice cream sundae and made it in front of all the kids. It went on display for a few days and then we were allowed to collect it. It didn't cost us anything. The only problem was getting it home safely as none of the boutiques were able to give us any kind of bubble wrap for it. DD still has it in her bedroom and it is a very unique souvenir.

Forgot to say you can put all kinds of limits on the cards, from a complete block on spending to a daily limit, to a cruise limit. Easy to sort out with the front desk once on board.

Edited by Scrapchick

The first 2 Celebrity Cruises we took, my younger son (and niece on the 2nd cruise) were too young to participate in the later evening stuff without paying by the hour. Now they aren't, so that's good!

We purchased the VIP Pass and the first time it was $90. Second time $100. They get a nice backpack, wallet, t-shirt, and keychain. It allows them to stay in the kids activities through lunch (if they choose), if you get off the ship and they want to stay, and in the evening until they close.

It was well worth it for us because they make friends and want to hang out with them. We always make sure that we have family time and eat dinner together. It was nice not having to worry how much extra time we would have to pay for on our account.

The first couple cruises, when we checked in, they said we couldn't put a limit on their cards. So we made EXTRA sure that the boys knew that they were not to charge anything (thankfully, no problems. They knew better ;)). If they wanted to go to the arcade, my husband would take them and put it on his Seapass.

This last time, we were able to completely block their cards. So maybe there were some problems that arose from kids charging stuff. I like this option better. It's worth inquiring at check-in and/or Guest Relations on the ship as to possibly putting some cash in their accounts and not have it linked to your credit card.

So in a nutshell, the VIP package was a good deal for us. Allowed for more flexibility and overall enjoyment of the cruise for everyone. After all, they're getting to the point where it's not so cool to hang out with Mom ALL the time. Why do they have to grow up?! :(

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks

I will be on the same dates, my daughter is 11 and always looking for new friends, her brother is in college so not such a great playmate.

• 3 years later...

We cruised Reflection last February (and are gearing up to sail on Reflection in a couple of weeks) with our kids. the VIP package was great--it included all the "late night parties," some great behind the scenes tours, and some other cute perks—overall, we felt it was well worth the expense.

Back in 2010 we had the VIP package for our (then) 10 yo DD. I don´t remember the price. She got a backpack, a towel, a keychain, a bottle and maybe some more stuff I don´t remember.

Celebrity charges for lunch and dinner child care on port days and also for late nite child care past 10 pm (6$ per hour). This is all included in the VIP pass. I remember that my DD liked it so much that she didn´t want to go ashore with us.

The VIP Pass also includes a backstage tour of the theater (3 - 11 yo) and a bridge tour (6 to 11 yo).

On our recent cruise on the Eclipse the VIP Pass was 200 USD. But the price depends on the length of the cruise and it was a 14 night cruise.

steamboats

• 8 months later...