Uh oh! Didn't see that coming!

travel_mom_1

Dh and I plus our two daughters (17 and 12) are cruising in April. I originally booked us all in one cabin months ago, but called and changed that today to two cabins directly across from each other. I'm so excited about the extra space we will have.

But here is the uh oh, near the end of a lengthy conversation and several let me put you on holds with the Carnival rep she mentions that the second cabin is waitlisted for Your Time dining. The first cabin is confirmed for Your Time dining. Hmm. I didn't see that coming. All four of us were confirmed for Your Time before the switch, but I guess the new cabin is viewed as a new booking and your time is now filled.

So what do you think will happen? We really hope and expect to eat together. I would prefer Your Time, but would take an assigned time if we can be together. Do you really think they would split us up for meals, if a spot doesn't open up? Has anyone else been in this situation?

Stephanie

check the fun times once onboard there should be a time listed you can go talk to the MD in one of the dining rooms. Explain everything and I'm betting he/she will help you out and switch the one cabin to ytd. And since you were all in one cabin to start with it should keep you at the same time.

try posting on John Herald's blog

it's on carnival.com

he solves this kind of stuff all the time

make sure that you note that it is a time sensitive post

as he is months behind on responses

It is utterly and completely ridiculous to post this on John's blog when all you have to do is go to the dining room and asked to have it changed. I have never, ever cruise and had a request denied, especially since I wasn't asking for something ridiculous. Asking to eat with your children is not an issue. They will fix it forth with. OP, please do not worry. This is not rocket science :)

Similar thing happened to us last cruise. We added our 3 year old granddaughter at the last minute. We were on anytime dining and they put her at late seating. Day of the cruise, I went to the Maitre D and laughed and asked if he could change her to dine with us, or else the other guests at the table may not like having her there. No problems for us.

check the fun times once onboard there should be a time listed you can go talk to the MD in one of the dining rooms. Explain everything and I'm betting he/she will help you out and switch the one cabin to ytd. And since you were all in one cabin to start with it should keep you at the same time.

Your table assignment will be on your S&S card. If you have Your Time Dining it will say something like- Dining Time 5:45-9:00 Table 777. Call and confirm that your two cabins are linked.

I hate to be Debbie Downer, but last March we were in a group of 4 cabins. 3 of the cabins requested late dinning and the other cabin wanted early-even after we told them we were all dining late. The first night they went to the Maitre D and requested to switch to late. He tried but he was unable to do so. You obviously had to book the rooms with 1 adult in each room so the reservation isn't going to show the kids in a room by themselves although they really will have their own room. Hopefully you will have a different experience and you will all be able to dine together.

You obviously had to book the rooms with 1 adult in each room so the reservation isn't going to show the kids in a room by themselves although they really will have their own room. Hopefully you will have a different experience and you will all be able to dine together.
I don't know how the OP did it, but our son was booked in a room with his cousins on our Valor cruise. Carnival did not make us put an adult in his room.

Dh and I plus our two daughters (17 and 12) are cruising in April. I originally booked us all in one cabin months ago, but called and changed that today to two cabins directly across from each other. I'm so excited about the extra space we will have.

But here is the uh oh, near the end of a lengthy conversation and several let me put you on holds with the Carnival rep she mentions that the second cabin is waitlisted for Your Time dining. The first cabin is confirmed for Your Time dining. Hmm. I didn't see that coming. All four of us were confirmed for Your Time before the switch, but I guess the new cabin is viewed as a new booking and your time is now filled.

So what do you think will happen? We really hope and expect to eat together. I would prefer Your Time, but would take an assigned time if we can be together. Do you really think they would split us up for meals, if a spot doesn't open up? Has anyone else been in this situation?

Stephanie

Isn't your table a 3 top? I would imagine it will stay a three top.

It is utterly and completely ridiculous to post this on John's blog when all you have to do is go to the dining room and asked to have it changed. I have never, ever cruise and had a request denied, especially since I wasn't asking for something ridiculous. Asking to eat with your children is not an issue. They will fix it forth with. OP, please do not worry. This is not rocket science :)

I agree, they can easily get it corrected on board the ship, it's NOT rocket science.

I've gotta say, it's beginning to grate on my nerves every time I see someone say "Contact John Heald about it". Why, rather than take care of it through proper channels, do folks feel compelled to run and whine to John Heald? That's like assuming that it won't get corrected unless this ONE Carnival employee arranges it ahead of time. I'm sure Carnival has plenty of properly trained personnel who will take care of what needs to be done upon asking.

It's difficult to imagine how he has time to be a Cruise Director when he's busy changing people's dinner seatings and doing favors for passengers throughout the entire fleet. :eek:

"You obviously" don't know what is what for booking.

Big_Duck, you obviously don't know me and you obviously don't know you don't want to go there with me. I offered advice based on my past experience with several bookings and that was it. You could have kept your stupid comment to yourself.

I've been told (and have booked this way many times) that as long as the kids are in a cabin either across from or next to yours, that an adult does not have to be "booked" into the cabin with them.

this is the case ONLY if the kids belong to you- if sailing with a relative or a friend-- they need an adult booked into the cabin.

To the OP. If you want the kids to participate with the kids activities-- taking early dining would be better. Most activities happen between the hours of 7-10 and the activities are closed from 5-7.

I'd imagine the MD and his staff in the MDR will have no problem getting this sorted out. They deal with situations like this all the time.

Heck, back in 2001 when I went on a Inspiration (or Sensation) cruise with my family, my dad was able to get them to accommodate just about anything we requested. My Dad and step-mom had their own cabin, me and brother (then 17 & 13) had an interior across the hall. I was already used to this type of arrangement at Disney. Several nights my dad wanted to have dinner with step-mom by themselves (something I was also used to) and the MDR staff made it happen without issue. While we were in sight of our parents, it gave them a little space to do their own thing.

Big_Duck, you obviously don't know me and you obviously don't know you don't want to go there with me. I offered advice based on my past experience with several bookings and that was it. You could have kept your stupid comment to yourself.

But....your information was not correct. Carnival has allowed children to be booked in near by rooms (next door or across the hall) - without adults - for quite some time.

But....your information was not correct. Carnival has allowed children to be booked in near by rooms (next door or across the hall) - without adults - for quite some time.

Yes, this was already established. You didn't get my point so let me explain. I responded according to MY past experience-on a sailing we were not able to book children in a cabin by themselves (17, 11, & 9) . I stand corrected, that is what this board is or rather should be all about. Just because someone gives info that may not be necessarily true doesn't mean people have to be rude like the other poster.

Yes I agree, Big duck has over 20,000 post and I hope all of them are not as nasty as that one! Just one more thing. it has happened both ways for us in the 5 cruises on Carnival in the last five years. A couple they would let us book our kids in their own room (near us) and others they would not.

Archived