Kindle Downloads?

bet410

I have a couple of long cruises coming up and am planning to take my Kindle with me, as well as a Kindle subscription to our local newspaper.

I have a Kindle 3G with Global Wireless, and from experience at home, I'm assuming that there's no charge for downloads. However, I've never tried downloading overseas, and don't want to pay for a daily newspaper subscription if I'm going to get slapped with a download fee every day.

I am hoping that there are some Kindle users out there who can advise me on this. TIA for any information you might have!

I am not a kindle user however a friend of mine that worked in the Shore Excursion office on the Zaandam had one and was able to download and actually surf the web and check email and facebook wherever the ship went through the cellular without paying a dime. it was slow at times but it was free. of course I hope a kindle owner will chime in and confirm but to my knowledge the roaming agreement amazon has with cellular providers allows it to operate on the ship for free.

I, too, have a Kindle 3-G. In January we went on a Mexican Cruise on the Zaandam. The first time I turned on 3G, I got a file from Amazon that explained that using 3-G for downloads from International locations had costs associated. Since I was only using internet, I didn't really look at the costs but you might look on the Amazon site for more info.

From Amazon site:

U.S. Customers Accessing Whispernet (3-G)Outside the United States

Kindle customers from the United States can travel internationally and still get books in less than 60 seconds. Customers have the option to wirelessly receive periodicals for a fee or transfer files from their computer for free.

International Subscription Service: Receive all of your newspaper, magazine, and blog subscription content wirelessly for a weekly fee of $4.99.

FREE transfer of Kindle Store purchases: Select "Transfer via Computer" from the Deliver to: pull-down menu on the product detail page at the time of purchase. We'll save the item to your computer so you can copy it to your Kindle via the USB connection.

FREE transfer of Archived Items: Visit the Manage Your Kindle page, locate the item you wish to download in the "Your Orders " section at the bottom of the page, and select "Transfer via Computer" from the "Deliver to . . ." menu. We'll save the item to your computer so you can copy it to your Kindle via the USB connection.

MY NOTE: You can connect to a WiFi Site and download for free that way if you want!

While on board the ship you'll be paying whatever internet or cell connect charges apply for any device using their system. In port you should be able to connect without charge to the local cell network through the 3G or maybe luck into a free and open wifi connection. I recall that somewhere on the Amazon website is a map of countries where the 3G service is available. We're vacationing right now in a 2G country and the connection is not terrific. We haven't really tried our Kindles to connect while here as we use our netbook to do that.Any downloads I've done to the Kindle itself have been lightning fast.

Randy aka Divi's DH

Read Chapter 6 in the Kindle User Guide for internet access.

As the previous reply noted you can use 3-G in port (where available) OR Wi-Fi on ship (standard shipboard internet charges) or in port (sometimes free, sometimes minimal charge).

If you are using a standard internet-based e-mail, you just go to their site and sign-in to get your e-mail.

It is awkward and slow (I've only tried 3-G). I used twice over 11-day cruise. I would not rely on it If I was doing a lot of e-mail reading or responding.

I used my Kindle to download a book in my queue while at sea (this was on the way to or near Puerto Rico) and was able to do it with no problems and no additional charges (I was quite surprised it was able to find a 3G network out there actually). On my previous cruises, I've been able to use the 3G network to download books whenever in port, but could not get a 3G signal at sea.

While on board the ship you'll be paying whatever internet or cell connect charges apply for any device using their system.

This startling allegation is in direct conflict with the amazon statement about weekly charges. I seriously doubt that this allegation is true because amazon does not bill me for ordinary downloads in the U.S. and I will have no separate amazon billing account on the ship.

Does anyone know for a fact or are we operating on the basis of rumors here?

This startling allegation is in direct conflict with the amazon statement about weekly charges. I seriously doubt that this allegation is true because amazon does not bill me for ordinary downloads in the U.S. and I will have no separate amazon billing account on the ship.

Does anyone know for a fact or are we operating on the basis of rumors here?

In my experience, the Kindle just won't connect to the ship's wireless or cellular at sea service (at least not the 3G one, I don't know how the wi-fi versions work). If the device is within reach of a landmass with a regular 3G network, it will connect to that and you'll be able to download for free, per the Amazon statements that others have posted (subscription services may be slightly different). Once you get into port, you'll be able to use the local cell 3G network to connect.

For example, when I was in Alaska, I had zero 3G service while at sea and could not download until we got to port. In the Caribbean, there were several instances where I got 3G and could download at sea.

Thank you, gurl. Overall, I am flabbergasted at the paucity of reliable information about Kindle use on ships.

So do I understand you correctly that even if I pay the weekly surcharge for receiving newspapers, I may not be able to download them at sea? (Not that I am worried. I'll be on HAL's Veendam where I can read the web version of the New York Times free of charge on the Exploration Cafe internet or, perhaps, even on my MacBook Pro).

This question has been discussed on several previous threads. Lots of theories, assumptions and rumors but little hard information. Which makes me believe that Kindlers download their content before the cruise. Many also seem unaware of the capability of their 3G Kindle to browse the web free of charge and read and send emails.

Fourteen days and counting and I will have the answers.

While at sea on a cruise ship, any device that can connect to the internet, whether Kindle, Ipad, notebook, phone or otherwise, will be intercepted by the ship's wifi service and you will be charged at the ship's rate. (Additional data charges apply to phone)You could not use a Kindle for reading internet documents for free while onboard any more than you could use an Ipad or your Iphone in this way. But,as Amazon says, you can use their device for free internationally and also get downloads for $4.99 a week if you are in a spot where you are getting a free wifi signal. Usually, I can get a free signal from my cabin while the ship is in port.

Three months ago I was at sea for two weeks on a transatlantic cruise. I got the ship's sign in page (and thus paid for service) on my computer, Ipad, Kindle wifi, and phone. Pretty simple. Of all these devices, my Ipad worked best and was fastest for downloading. I used it and the Kindle app for downloading 2 books at sea. But the funny part is that I later found both books in the ship's library.

While at sea on a cruise ship' date=' any device that can connect to the internet, whether Kindle, Ipad, notebook, phone or otherwise, will be intercepted by the ship's wifi service and you will be charged at the ship's rate. (Additional data charges apply to phone)You could not use a Kindle for reading internet documents for free while onboard any more than you could use an Ipad or your Iphone in this way. But,as Amazon says, you can use their device for free internationally and also get downloads for $4.99 a week if you are in a spot where you are getting a free wifi signal. Usually, I can get a free signal from my cabin while the ship is in port.

Three months ago I was at sea for two weeks on a transatlantic cruise. I got the ship's sign in page (and thus paid for service) on my computer, Ipad, Kindle wifi, and phone. Pretty simple. Of all these devices, my Ipad worked best and was fastest for downloading. I used it and the Kindle app for downloading 2 books at sea. But the funny part is that I later found both books in the ship's library.[/quote']

That's true if you have a Kindle or iPad that is wi-fi only. But if you have a Kindle 3G, the Kindle just won't connect to the ship's "cellular at sea" or wifi signal at all, because neither of those signals are 3G (sometimes Kindles can connect to a non-3G cell signal, but they don't recognize the cellular at sea one). If your ship is passing within reception distance of a landmass (like an island) where there is a regular 3G cell phone network, you will pick up that signal on your Kindle and be able to download for free (as I did in the Caribbean). If your ship is not passing within sight of land or the nearest landmass doesn't have cell service (aka Northern Canada on the way to Alaska) your Kindle just won't be able to reach its network. You won't get any signal bars.

I've been down to the Mexican Riviera on Carnival and the Eastern Mediterranean on Royal Caribbean with my Kindle 3G and I can say for sure - I was able to use the cellular radio without charges. Now, it was not very fast and at times it was only a GPRS connection instead of 3G - but it would seem the Kindle 3G is capable of receiving the other types cell signals byonds 3G. I was not charged for this service, I downloaded a book, a game and checked e-mail and facebook on the browser. I'm leaving on Saturday for a Mexican Riviera cruise on Holland - so I will update my results from them when I get back... or maybe while I'm at sea! :)

I will say I had some trouble with the Carnival signal until the first port. After connecting to the land based tower in Mexico - I never had a problem connecting to the ships cellular signal while at sea. I don't know if my Kindle was just slow to establish the unknown ships connection - but in the end it worked!

Thanks for the input, everyone! I'm still a little confused with all the conflicting information out there. However, it was helpful to find out that the 3G access won't work if it's not near a landmass that might have a 3G network. Since I'll be doing a World Voyage, there will be times when I'm in the middle of the ocean. I'm taking my computer, so I'll load my Kindle up with books before I leave and think about the option of downloading the paper via computer. That will probably be faster than downloading to the Kindle.

I am taking my 3G Kindle to South America in order to be able to read my books -- although the Veendam has a superior onboard library. I am also taking it to save money on Internet.

Yesterday, I began a 14-day trial subscription to a local paper. I quickly realized that its Kindle version ($5.99 a month) is a badly stripped-down mess that is not worth the extra weekly connection charge that amazon levies. However, I also realized that I can get the whole Internet edition -- which is several times more comprehensive -- free of charge by googling on the Kindle for free. 3G Kindle allows that wherever I can establish a connection. A bit more cumbersome to read but, hey, I just want to read the obits each morning to make sure I'm still alive.

So I'll have no problems. I can read the daily NYT free of charge either in the Exploration cafe or even in my cabin on my MacBook Pro because the NYT web site, at the moment, is still free on HAL ships.

In summary, it seems to me that what everyone is saying is that you will pay for an internet connection but if you have 3g and you can pick up a signal, that you will continue to be able to download books for free? Am I correct?

In summary, it seems to me that what everyone is saying is that you will pay for an internet connection but if you have 3g and you can pick up a signal, that you will continue to be able to download books for free? Am I correct?

Yes, I think that's the main gist of the situation. At least, that has been my experience on two cruises now and based on my understanding of how the Kinlde and 3G networks work, that is how it will be. I think it's confusing because since they cut the prices on Kindles and Nooks, a lot of people have bought the wi-fi only versions, but maybe don't really realize/understand the difference between wi-fi and a network like Amazon's Whispernet (what you use to download on the 3G versions).

and have never been charged by HAL nor Amazon while using it onboard.

I download my books prior to my cruises but that is mostly because I find it easier to select the books on the computer rather than the device.

I do, however, use the Kindle web browser to check my local newspaper, and my stock prices. I had difficulties in South America but that was both on land, even in large cities, and at sea. I recently returned from a Caribbean cruise and had no trouble using it at sea. I'm sure that if I had wanted to download a book at sea, I would have had no issue. A couple of times, I only had two bars and it worked fine.

Archived