Talk about a shock!! pregnancy

Fishon28

My wife and I just found out she was pregnant today!! We were not trying until april/may. This is a good thing but we still have stressful changes to make so we can still cruise.

Nevertheless, we have a cruise booked for July 24th on the Freedom. We booked the early saver price so getting back our deposit is not going to happen.

I do know that you can change your cruise date if you have not paid in full..May 10th.

Is there any way that Carnival would wave the $50/person change fee?

The June 26th cruise(21 weeks pregnant) is very similar in price. Would we incur charges if the cruise price is slightly higher?

My wife is telling me that we'll go on the July 24th cruise (25 weeks)without saying anything. While I feel that we should be allowed to go on, I understand rules are rules and I'm not going to break them.

Any info would be great thx!!

Id say the chances of waiving the fee is very slim, but you can ask. they wouldnt for me.

If you change dates, you will pay the $50 pp plus the difference in fares.

If she shows even a little bit and you dont have a doctors note saying how many weeks pregnant she is ..she will be denied boarding.

Unless your dr is willing to lie for you in a note, you run a huge risk of being denied boarding if you keep your original sail date. Not a risk I would take. I have sailed pregnant and had to produce a note when boarding...

by 25 weeks she'll probably be showing...I am 16 weeks and starting to show. Everyone is different, but 25 weeks is really getting there.

You have to be 25 weeks or less by the day of disembarkation. I will be very close to that, I brought my dr. the letter she had to sign and she had no problems signing it. Check her dates....the doctor will give you something more exact to go by, the date of her LMP might not be as accurate as you think!

Congratulations, how exciting!

My wife and I just found out she was pregnant today!! We were not trying until april/may. This is a good thing but we still have stressful changes to make so we can still cruise.

Nevertheless, we have a cruise booked for July 24th on the Freedom. We booked the early saver price so getting back our deposit is not going to happen.

I do know that you can change your cruise date if you have not paid in full..May 10th.

The June 26th cruise(21 weeks pregnant) is very similar in price. Would we incur charges if the cruise price is slightly higher?

My wife is telling me that we'll go on the July 24th cruise (25 weeks)without saying anything. While I feel that we should be allowed to go on, I understand rules are rules and I'm not going to break them.

I work in the ER and we see patients there that are UNDER 20 weeks. Until that time, if there is a problem... The mother is number one priority and there isn't a a lot that can be done for an infant that is that pre-term. Anyone over 20 weeks goes straight to the OB floor where they have the training and equipment to take care of both the mother and infant.

Though cruise ships do have an infirmary as well as a doctor and may have the knowledge and ability to deliver a healthy baby.......they DO NOT have the equipment to care for a pregnancy gone wrong or a pre-term infant.

You could hide it, and go on the cruise. BUT, they are covered if things go wrong. I would recommend you move the cruise way up....or just take the $50 each hit.

I work in the ER and we see patients there that are UNDER 20 weeks. Until that time, if there is a problem... The mother is number one priority and there isn't a a lot that can be done for an infant that is that pre-term. Anyone over 20 weeks goes straight to the OB floor where they have the training and equipment to take care of both the mother and infant.

Though cruise ships do have an infirmary as well as a doctor and may have the knowledge and ability to deliver a healthy baby.......they DO NOT have the equipment to care for a pregnancy gone wrong or a pre-term infant.

You could hide it, and go on the cruise. BUT, they are covered if things go wrong. I would recommend you move the cruise way up....or just take the $50 each hit.

This^. Just take the hit if they don't let you change for free, move it up and like the other guy said, your bar tab just took a 50% dip!!

PREGNANCY POLICY

Pregnant women are only allowed to sail if pregnant for 24 completed weeks or less at time of cruise disembarkation. All pregnant women are required to produce a physician’s letter stating that mother and baby are in good health, fit to travel and the pregnancy is not high-risk. The letter must also include the estimated date of delivery (EDD).

CHANGE THE DATE! Either cruise earlier or after the baby is born. The cruise part might not be that bad for the baby, but if you have to fly ask yourself if you are willing to risk the health of your baby! It has long been recognized not to go to higher altitudes after 24 weeks gestation. Flying is high altitude. It can cause premature rupture of the membranes. My firstborn (who is now 23) was 2 1/2 months premature because of change in altitude. We checked with the doctor to see if it was okay to drive to a much lower altitude for a wedding and his reply was "yes just don't fly because high altitudes could cause premature labor." He did not stop to think that I would be at lower altitude for a week then back up to Colorado (increase in altitude) would cause the same affect. So IMO - DON'T DO IT!

No, the 50.00 fee won't be waived.

No, your wife can't cruise at 25 weeks. A letter from a physician is required for a pregnant woman to cruise, stating the general health and how pregnant she is.

Can she sneak on? If she doesn't look pregnant, probably. However, keep in mind that if anything happens, Carnival is not equipped to handle emergencies of pregnancy onboard. You will be dropped at the first port and taken to local hospital....at your own cost...and will have to find your own way home.

That would cost a lot more than 50.00,

Use your head...change the date, pay the 50.00. Don't rist your wife or that baby....

1st- Congrats!:D

2nd- Don't risk it! I had a friend who was denied boarding in L.A. because she was a week past the cutoff. She had her OB fax a letter to the terminal, but they eventually turned her away anyway!! Serious bummer!! I don't remember exactly what the deal was, but they let her rebook for after the baby was born.

Everyone's different. At 25 weeks, I didn't show and would have had zero problems getting on board. But IMO, I'd move the date up to as soon as you could afford to go and get the trip done now while she's still comfortable. Enjoy a romantic trip just the two of you. Life is getting ready to change for you.

I cruised during my first pregnancy - I didn't enjoy the food as much (smells can be amplified when pregnant) and was prone to pretty serious sea sickness. I wasn't comfortable taking meds so had to grin and bear through it. Not as enjoyable of a trip.

Anyways, once the baby comes, it could be a long time before you get another chance to vacation again, especially if you wanted to do it just you and your wife.

Congrats!

We changed the date to June 26th..same itinerary on the Freedom

She will be 20-21 weeks pregnant and we will fax/bring copy of doctors note.

We are no longer on the early saver price so we had to pay $130 more but we did get one deck higher. Deck seven instead of six and are more centralized.

We did pay the $50/person change fee and our flights cost us $48 more through Southwest.

We are no longer on the early saver price so we had to pay $130 more but we did get one deck higher. Deck seven instead of six and are more centralized.

We did pay the $50/person change fee and our flights cost us $48 more through Southwest.

Congratulations! Don't fret about the extra money! Trust me, having 4 of my own - your money is only just beginning to disappear, but it is ALL so worth it!!

Glad you changed the date. Have a wonderful cruise!

Congratulations to you both!!

I am so glad to hear you switched. I do want to say Congratulations to both you and your wife and also hope you enjoy your cruise.

I know my first post was a bit blunt and straight forward but I spent many a year trying to educate others on preventing premature births. I read your post and my heart jumped and I just had to jump in, it is the mom in me;).

Good decision. I am sorry about all the extra costs...that sucks! But, Deck 7 is a better, quieter location and if you are now more mid than before...there will be less motion as well. Enjoy your cruise and congrats on the bambino!

Congratulations! Don't fret about the extra money! Trust me, having 4 of my own - your money is only just beginning to disappear, but it is ALL so worth it!!

I was thinking the same thing $50???????? Wait tile he sees what this is really going to cost him over the long haul *LOL*

I have 4 myself :)

To the Op Glad you were able to change your date , and congratulations to you and your DW. All the best :)

I will tell you it was a very smart choice! You never know what can happen! My sister went on a cruise with us last year at 26 weeks. Her doctor said it was fine and signed the paper for her. Well during the last few days of the cruise she complained of a headache and shrugged it off as no big deal. We got home on a sunday night, and she went back to work monday. Well she ended up leaving school a half a day early and going to the doctor because her legs started swelling. Long story short she was diagnosed with PreEclampsia, spent the next two weeks on bedrest and ended up having to deliver at 29 weeks because of it! You never can be too cautious!

Archived