Ketchikan- Need help deciding between 2 excursions

Oscar_the_Grouch's_Sis

I was going to book the "Neets Bay Bear Watch" but I decided it was too much physical activity.

So I was extremely happy to find the "Neets Bay Bear Cruise" :s.gif

4 hour(s) 45 minute(s) 220.00 USD (Adult)

Search for black bears feeding on salmon. After a narrated van transfer, board a high-speed boat and travel 34 miles to Neets Bay. Your captain will search the streams and beaches near a salmon hatchery looking for bears. Bear sightings are not guaranteed.

Should I book it ... or how about this one?

3 hour(s) 15 minute(s) 159.00 USD (Adult)

Enjoy a high speed boat ride in search of black bears foraging along the coastline as well as eagles, seals, sea lions, porpoise and whales which are often spotted along the way. Wildlife sightings are not guaranteed.

They both sound good ... I just don't know which one to pick.

Anyone have any experience with either?

I was going to book the "Neets Bay Bear Watch" but I decided it was too much physical activity.

It's not that much physical activity. If you can walk around the cruise ship dock and go inside the trinket shops you can do this tour. "Neets Bay Bear Watch" is gonna get you the closest and give you the best chance to see bears. Otherwise just buy a bear viewing DVD over at WalMart and save your money for a couple of t-shirts and shots over at the Arctic Bar in Ketchikan.

Hopefully someone who knows the "bear schedule" :) and the salmon spawning schedule :) will leap into this thread and let you know what chances are for bear sightings in the time frame YOU will be in Alaska. As far as I know, though, there is no guarantee on any tour that you will see bears. Come to my house (or to Yukon's house) for bears :D

There is a legitimate question in all of this. I don't know much about any of these tours but I did consider the High Speed Coastal Wildlife boat ride (the second of the ones you list) and was told by Budget Queen (whom I consider an expert) that in early July, when we will be in Ketchikan, that the odds of seeing bears on that trip are very slim and not to book the cruise if that's the goal.

So depending on when you will be in Ketchikan, neither tour might be great.

I was advised that if I really wanted to see bears I should try the plane trip to Anan - out of my budget but maybe not yours.

Good Luck!:)

There is a legitimate question in all of this. I don't know much about any of these tours but I did consider the High Speed Coastal Wildlife boat ride (the second of the ones you list) and was told by Budget Queen (whom I consider an expert) that in early July, when we will be in Ketchikan, that the odds of seeing bears on that trip are very slim and not to book the cruise if that's the goal.

So depending on when you will be in Ketchikan, neither tour might be great.

I was advised that if I really wanted to see bears I should try the plane trip to Anan - out of my budget but maybe not yours.

Good Luck!:)

The OP is going in early September, which is why I'm hoping someone who knows when the salmon spawn and the bears congregate will get into this thread. I agree with you that if BudgetQueen says "don't bother", one shouldn't bother :) The OP has considered and decided against the plane trip. And I think (though I'm no bear/salmon expert) that the chances on that one, in her time frame, are slim too.

Neet's Bay is peak in early Sept, BUT, taking any boat "tour" is an overall poor choice to consider here. Neets- is not a "bay" like you may think. The viewing is due to a salmon hatchery, which is not accessable to boats on a "river". Bears can be around in the area, but any boat, is not going to get close.

Wolfie, has the "walking" spot on, if you can get around a cruiseship, then most can handle the walking to the viewing platform.

OP, something else for you to consider (we did this with a friend who went to Alaska and has probs with her mobility and energy levels from time to time -- totally unable to predict when!)

Look into renting a wheelchair for the cruise. I think it is "Care Vacations" that supplies wheelchairs to the ship. We convinced our friend to use it while onboard so that she'd be conserving her energy for the stuff on shore. Just an idea to consider -- not trying to tell you how to manage :)

Do the fly out. The boat trip does not actually have access to the Neets Bay Hatchery. The fly out trip is much better, and will get you MUCH closer to the bears.

Neets Bay gets a huge run of King Salmon in late June and early July, so there will be bears to see.

Do the fly out. The boat trip does not actually have access to the Neets Bay Hatchery. The fly out trip is much better, and will get you MUCH closer to the bears.

Neets Bay gets a huge run of King Salmon in late June and early July, so there will be bears to see.

There are NO Neets Bay tours outside of from third week of July into Sept.

Archived