Just an example...

Bridge Maven

We currently have three cruises booked - 5 nights on Disney Dream, 12 nights on Celebrity Silhouette, and 11 nights (4 land/7 cruise) Alaskan cruise tour on RCCL Radiance of the Seas.

Our 12 night Celebrity Silhouette cruise is approximately the same price as our 5 night Disney Cruise and half the price of our 11 night Alaskan cruise tour on Radiance of the Seas.

This illustrates that Celebrity is the best value at sea!

What are the itineraries, sail dates and cabin choices? Otherwise, it could be apples, oranges and kumquats.

5 night Disney Dream - balcony cabin - June 2012 - Bahamas from Florida

12 night Celebrity Silhouette - balcony cabin - January 2012 - NJ to Caribbean with 5 ports

This is the best illustration because they are similar in price, cabin, and the Celebrity cruise is more than twice as long with a better itinerary

The Radiance of the Seas Alaskan Land Cruise is in a Junior Suite but is still more expensive than a comparable Alaskan cruise on Celebrity Millennium for the same time period.

Hmmm. Disney in June, when all the kids are out of school. As Fblack said, it's Disney, and a high demand cruise, at that, simply because of the month.

Alaska is always higher, JS besides. During July, perhaps?

Still, I agree that Celebrity does seem like the better value!

5 night Disney Dream - balcony cabin - June 2012 - Bahamas from Florida

12 night Celebrity Silhouette - balcony cabin - January 2012 - NJ to Caribbean with 5 ports

This is the best illustration because they are similar in price, cabin, and the Celebrity cruise is more than twice as long with a better itinerary

The Radiance of the Seas Alaskan Land Cruise is in a Junior Suite but is still more expensive than a comparable Alaskan cruise on Celebrity Millennium for the same time period.

I just did my weekly check of current prices for cruises that I have booked. The current total price for our 5 night Disney cruise is more than the current total price for our 12 night Celebrity Silhouette Cruise.

Would it be really silly of me to ask why you are taking the cruises on other lines that aren't as good a value as Celebrity?:confused:

In Range, while I think Celebrity is a great cruise line for adults on their new ships, I don't think it is very family oriented or good for children. The Disney cruise will be a three generation cruise with our daughter's family. While I loved Celebrity Infinity when we went to Alaska in 2001 it was a new ship at the time. We decided to take Radiance of the Seas instead of Millennium to Alaska this time because I think Royal Caribbean does a better job of maintaining their older ships than Celebrity does. However, we decided to book our Celebrity Silhouette cruise because, aside from being a great value, it is a new ship that provides an opportunity to take a break from our cold Connecticut winter without having to fly to board the ship.

Does that answer your question?

We currently have three cruises booked - 5 nights on Disney Dream, 12 nights on Celebrity Silhouette, and 11 nights (4 land/7 cruise) Alaskan cruise tour on RCCL Radiance of the Seas.

Our 12 night Celebrity Silhouette cruise is approximately the same price as our 5 night Disney Cruise and half the price of our 11 night Alaskan cruise tour on Radiance of the Seas.

This illustrates that Celebrity is the best value at sea!

I find this hard to believe but it may be true. I have Disney Dream 5nights booked back to back in June and the two of them together are less than our 12night Silouhette cruise in August. We are balcony on the Disney and CC on the Silouhette. I got a great deal on both the Disney cruise and Silouhette as I plan ahead. I find the cruise fare in Alaska is not what gets you but the fact your excursions are likely to cost more than the cruise in AK if you do anything involving helicopters and sea planes.

That being said I do think Celebrity is a great value. They have some issues with managements decision making processed regardign itinerary changes but that doesn't change the value of Celebrity

I find this hard to believe but it may be true. I have Disney Dream 5nights booked back to back in June and the two of them together are less than our 12night Silouhette cruise in August. We are balcony on the Disney and CC on the Silouhette. I got a great deal on both the Disney cruise and Silouhette as I plan ahead. I find the cruise fare in Alaska is not what gets you but the fact your excursions are likely to cost more than the cruise in AK if you do anything involving helicopters and sea planes.

That being said I do think Celebrity is a great value. They have some issues with managements decision making processed regardign itinerary changes but that doesn't change the value of Celebrity

80ramfan, if you are taking a Silhouette cruise in August I am assuming it is a European cruise while our January Silhouette cruise is from NJ to the Caribbean. If that is the case , European cruises are usually significantly more expensive than Caribbean ones. We took a Baltic Cruise on Constellation in June 2006, then six months later took a Caribbean cruise on the same ship, and there was a significant difference in the per diem rate for the same ship.

80ramfan, if you are taking a Silhouette cruise in August I am assuming it is a European cruise while our January Silhouette cruise is from NJ to the Caribbean. If that is the case , European cruises are usually significantly more expensive than Caribbean ones. We took a Baltic Cruise on Constellation in June 2006, then six months later took a Caribbean cruise on the same ship, and there was a significant difference in the per diem rate for the same ship.

correct. I don't think you posted teh dates at first and I wrongly assumed all the same cruises.

. . . We decided to take Radiance of the Seas instead of Millennium to Alaska . . .

Good choice! IMO Radiance is the best designed ship to cruise AK. The windows in the public areas make this ship for that itinerary a no brainer!

I've been pricing out Med cruises for next fall, and RCCI on a per day cost basis seems to keep winning out -- but I've enjoyed both my RCCI and X Med cruises.

Have to disagree with you here. Have taken my three children on several Celebrity cruises. They do a great job with kids.

Conrycol, how old were your children when you took them on their Celebrity cruises. Our granddaughter, who will be four next month, went on her fourth cruise last month, and it was the second cruise for her brother, who will be two next month. When we take our three generation Disney Cruise in June 2012 our grandchildren will be five and three. They will also be cruising with their eighth month old sibling because our daughter is pregnant with her third child :)

When my daughter got married in 2004 I suggested a cruise for their honeymoon, but my son in law was concerned that he might not like cruising. So they decided to go to an all inclusive resort instead. Then in 2007 my Christmas present was to take my husband, daughter, son in law, and then infant granddaughter on a Holland America cruise. My son in law is now as addicted to cruising as we are :)

Is Dream the one with the $75 per person French restaurant? If so, please let us know what you think of that when you return. Worth the extra bucks or not?

Tuggers, yes it is. Dream has an adults only French Restaurant for $75 per person that is for adults only. It also has an Italian Restaurant that is for adults only. I plan to try both and share my opinion about them after our cruise. One of the reasons why Disney is a good option for three generation cruises is because it has very good child oriented activities, as well as specialty restaurants, pools, lounges, etc that are designated as adult only areas of the ship, and I heard that Disney is very strict about enforcing the adult only restrictions.

I just don't think I could pay that much extra for a cruise. We've looked at Disney and considered it for when our son is a little older but I just don't think we can justify it. We'll probably do Royal Caribbean once he's old enough for the fun activities like the rock wall, etc, but in the meantime when he's little, he doesn't need things like that. If we take him with us, it'll be on X and he can enjoy the Fun Factory.

Archived