San Juan Pier question--AOS

gsb

I started a thread to ask this question but maybe you can help me. Has the boarding situation got any better there. After AOS 2 years ago I was determined not to go the southern again because of the nightmare of a boarding situation. However, I love the southern route and have really overdone the western and eastern. I'm just hoping the situation at the port has improved.

We were at the same pier this past October boarding the Golden. The AOS was also there and of course that meant quite a few folks at one time.

We arrived at the peak embarkation time. There was a line outside and then the rows of chairs inside. (It was the same the year before on AOS) I think it was about 40 minutes start to finish before we were on our way up the gangway. We met nice folks while waiting and there didn't seem to be any major concerns on anyone's part. I hope you enjoy the trip!

We showed up at the Pier around 12:15 and onboard by 12:30. Line looked long but went real quick. Make sure your tags are on your bags and drop your bags off in the bag line right next to the curb before getting in the line to the terminal.

I started a thread to ask this question but maybe you can help me. Has the boarding situation got any better there. After AOS 2 years ago I was determined not to go the southern again because of the nightmare of a boarding situation. However, I love the southern route and have really overdone the western and eastern. I'm just hoping the situation at the port has improved.

I don't know what happened on your trip, but we sailed AOS Thanksgiving week 2003. Since the ship doesn't leave until 10 pm, we really didn't see the need in trying to get on the ship so early. We arrived at 4:15 and were in our room within 20 minutes. There were no lines at all. I can't imagine why so many people are so frantic to get on the ship so early that they are willing to wait in that mess for 2 hours. You've got seven days on the ship, I'd rather enjoy the day in San Juan and not fool with the chaos of massive boarding at peak times. That's just my preference and I suspect I'm in the minority on this one.

We were on the 2/6/05 sailing of AOS and arrived at the ship around 1:30. I agree with an earlier posting about the key being to arrive the day before. Getting to the ship in the afternoon allowed alot of time to explore the ship; it helped a lot. The other key is to stay 1 extra night and return on MOnday. The airport in SJ is the worst I have seen in all ther years I have been travelling. 1 restaraunt and 1 snack shop inside security is nonsense. People waited in line to check-in 2+ hours. Never again will I return home on Sunday. But, I would definitely sail out of PR again.

Archived