Dulles- 730am flight- what time to arrive?

finoky

Is your flight domestic or international? Which airline? Will you check in on line, pay any baggage fees and print your boarding passes during the 24 hour window? Will you have your carry on luggage in compliance with TSA?

Just a few things to ask yourself.

I was thinking 5am. Think that is early enough?

I always hated Dulles because it would take 20-30 minutes to get to the gate after you passed through security because I always had to wait for the mobile lounge to leave. The airport has been under renovation for about 3-4 years now. If the train is running from security to your terminal, it won't be too bad but I would still plan on being there 2 hours before your flight because security and luggage check-in lines can get long.

There have been a few times I waited 30-45 minutes to get through security.

Good morning! We normally arrive at Dulles airport two hours before departure because of the ongoing construction and the time it takes to get from the parking area to your terminal. Two hours gives us piece of mind, but actually if you arrive an hour before your flight time you will be fine. Either way, I prefer Dulles over thr traffic of BWI. Have fun!:D

Two hours before flight time should be fine, unless security is unusually backed up.

actually if you arrive an hour before your flight time you will be fine.

IAD is my home airport and I strongly disagree that arriving only an hour before flight time is good advice. Taking into consideration that your flight will be boarding at least 20 minutes or more before take-off and you still have to get through security and get to your gate, this isn't nearly enough time. If you are checking a bag, you probably won't make it.

Arriving 2 1/2 hours ahead of time should give you more than ample time to check in, check bags, get through security and get to your gate, despite what the doomsayers will inevitably tell you.

If you are driving there from Hampton, VA. and leave Hampton at 2:30am that would be a good time to arrive. As you are taking a morning flight getting there early is a good thing because it is a large airport and you are going out right in the middle of the morning "bank" of flights so there will be alot of people going through security so there may be long lines for that. As stated earlier the airport has been going through extensive renovations so it's probably a lot different since I last went through there. Good luck.

Eng23, we are driving up the evening before and staying at the Sheraton 10 minutes from Dulles. They have a 24hr shuttle. I was thinking it could be a high demand time early in the morning. I would rather wait at the airport than sleep a little longer or wait at the hotel. We will shoot for a 4:45am shuttle to Dulles which should put us there by 5am.

You mean the "People Mover" is no more?? Sadly - way behind the times! I (fondly) remember flying into Dulles back in the late 90's - early 2000 to visit DD attending the U of MD in College Park. Dulles was way cheaper than National!

DD is a die-hard Terrapin. Me - not so much.

If you are driving there from Hampton, VA. and leave Hampton at 2:30am that would be a good time to arrive. As you are taking a morning flight getting there early is a good thing because it is a large airport and you are going out right in the middle of the morning "bank" of flights so there will be alot of people going through security so there may be long lines for that. As stated earlier the airport has been going through extensive renovations so it's probably a lot different since I last went through there. Good luck.

Agree - getting up I95 through Springfield and the Beltway is tricky

You mean the "People Mover" is no more??

No, it's still there, transporting people to D gates. The train runs to the C gates. Note that the train drops you quite a way from the gate area - it's a long walk.

Dulles security can be backed up in the early morning. As I already posted, if you arrive at the airport 2 hours before flight time, you should be okay.

The People Mover always reminded me of something that should have been in one of the original Star Wars movies! Or in an old Erector Set kit with wheels. Thankfully, DD graduated years ago. Now, I have to navigate PHL!!

Archived