Short Freedom Review

pjcoach

My family and I sailed on the Fredom from 2/20 thru 2/26. The following are some quick notes. If anyone has questions, I will try to answer.

We stayed at the Hyatt Airport North the night before the cruise (booked thru Value Trips). The hotel was very close to both the airport and cruise terminal. Walking distance to many shops for last minute things and places to eat. The free shuttle from the airport and to the pier was nice. They will start taking names for the shuttle to the pier starting at 3pm. Get down there about 15 minutes before if you want to get on the first shuttle (10:30am).

The ship, as usual was very clean, and the crew was very friendly and very helpful.

We had late seating in the Chic dining room on the upper level. It seems, but I am not sure that anyone with a late seating assignment was put upsatirs and they kept most if not all of downstairs for those guests with anytime dining.

I thought the cruise director (Dan) and his staff were very good and made the events that they hosted more enjoyable. The shows that we saw were good. The only one that we felt went a little long was the guest show on the last night.

I thought the two comedians were good. I never got to see the adult only shows, but my family enjoyed the family shows.

On sea days chairs around both lido pools were probably gone by 7:30, but there were plenty of chairs available up until about 9am on the sides of the ship as well as the Spa deck. The adult only area was very nice, even though my wife and I only used it for about an hour one day.

We ate all of our breakfasts and dinners in the Chic restaurant. Food was always very good. We ate all of our lunches on the lido deck. Always a nice variety. The Mongolian Wok and Deli were my two favorites.

Key West - We did a bike tour with Key Lime. It was a nice way to see the town and all points of interest. There were only 11 of us in the group plus the guide. We did this first thing in the morning. I would suggest going early if you have kids since the streety are less crowded.

Grand Cayman - We've been there before (went to beach), so this time we decided to do StingRay City with Moby Dick Tours. Definitely something you should do at least once. Moby Dick was very good, not a large group, and they helped you interact with the rays. Feeding the rays was probably the highlight for me.

Ocho Rios - We climbed Dunn's River Falls. My wife and I have done this before, but it was the first time for my kids. They liked it a lot. After the falls we bought day passes (bought thru Island Marketing prior to cruise)to Sunset Jamaica Grande and spent the rest of the day there. I probably wouldn't stay at this reaort for a full vacation, but for the day, it was perfect. The ship is right in front of you.

The last Carnival Cruise we did before this one was about 2 years ago. I thought that the disembarking has greatly improved. We were off the ship by 9am (sel assist), could have been off by 7am, and was at Miami airport by about 10am. We used SAS to transport us. They were on time and very reasonable ($15pp not including tip).

We used one of the taxi/vans at the end of the pier in Ocho. They charged $18pp to take us to Dunns' River Falls, from Dunn's River Falls to Jamica Grande and then from Jamaica Grande back to the pier. They were on time at every spot. Probably could have gotten it cheaper if we walked further off the pier to an indepenndent taxi, but this was convenient and seemed like a safer option.

Yes, if you book thru Island Marketing (go to their website) it is refundable. It is much cheaper to use them instead of directly booking thru the hotel. I think I paid $35pp (could be off by a couiple of dollars), as opposed to I think it was $80pp if you book it thru the hotel in advance or just showing up.

If you are going right from teh pier to Jamaica Grande, I would imagine the taxi would probably be about $5pp. It is a very short ride (5-10 minutes depending on traffic).

Thank u for this review! Not too many freedom reviews!

We are going on this trip in oct. And getting married in key west.

We are staying at the renaissance marriott the night b4. We are also doing dunns river falls in ocho rios, and also swimming with the dolphins.

I can't wait!

I saw a picture of the area in the water at the beach at Dunn's River that had those inflatable jumpers and climbers in the water. Were they for anyone's use or was there a fee? Leaving Mar 20 on Freedom...counting the days:cool:

I didn't even notice what was in the water at the beach. As soon as we got down to the beach, we started up the falls. Sorry for no help, but have a great cruise. You may want to check the Dunn's River Falls website, maybe there is some info there.

Archived