Photos on RCCL

Ok. Haven't sailed with Royal yet. Going in two weeks.

I'm trying to plan my budget and just realized I cannot find out how much photos cost.

I had heard something about a DVD that loads all pictures taken on the ship. That with facial recognition technology, they can put every picture of you and your group on one CD or DVD.

1) How true is the DVD info?

2)How much is a DVD of photos?

3) How much are pictures individually?

4) Do they have a package rate for x amount of photos purchased?

Thanks to everyone who answers.

Deborahlynn10

The DVD, if I recall correctly, was something like $300. I know it was high enough that I didn't have to think too much about saying, "no thank you." :D Pictures are around $10 - $20 each, so it can add up quickly, if you get carried away with it. Someone may have the exact prices, but I think it is still $19.95 for an 8x10.

We usually pose for at least one of the formal family portraits and buy that, if it comes out nicely. Might buy one or two others, as well, but we mostly rely on taking our own pictures.

Wow. That is a lot for the DVD.

Thanks for the info. Hope there are packages for say 6 pictures for $80.00.

I'm an awful photographer, so i rely on those pictures. They always come out blurry.

My kids are now teens and I might not get them together for pictures on vacation after this.

Not sure if I want to spend that kind of money.

Actually, pretty dang sure.

One of the nice things about having formal pictures taken onboard the ship, is the fact that if you don't happen to like the result, you aren't obligated to buy them. Try having similar pictures taken locally without at least paying a studio fee, like the pictures or not.:)

One of the nice things about having formal pictures taken onboard the ship, is the fact that if you don't happen to like the result, you aren't obligated to buy them. Try having similar pictures taken locally without at least paying a studio fee, like the pictures or not.:)

I agree. It's not a bad way to get a nice family portrait at a reasonable price. I just hate that they waste so much on printing up every picture, then throwing away the majority that are not purchased. Hopefully it will some day go to a system where you just view them digitally and buy the ones you want. They could save a lot on printing costs that way.

I agree. It's not a bad way to get a nice family portrait at a reasonable price. I just hate that they waste so much on printing up every picture, then throwing away the majority that are not purchased. Hopefully it will some day go to a system where you just view them digitally and buy the ones you want. They could save a lot on printing costs that way.

Some of the formal pictures are now viewable at the kiosk in the photo area instead of paper photos. If they swipe your seapass prior to taking your photo, you can view them at the kiosk and order them for pick up later. Not all ships have this option (yet).

Ok. Haven't sailed with Royal yet. Going in two weeks.

....... That with facial recognition technology, they can put every picture of you and your group on one CD or DVD.

Which ship are you going on? I've been reading about this on the OASIS class ships, If it has spread to the rest of the fleet I haven't seen it yet. You can see my cruise history below.

The rest of the replies seem accurate regarding pricing. I am starting with a big OBC this trip and if they take enough good pictures I may consider buying the DVD, assuming it gives you rights to repost on places like facebook.

I agree that it seems so wasteful. I got to thinking about this on the Radiance and wondering how they could possibly come out ahead with all the printing costs involved because of all the pictures that werent bought.

Then my thoughts suddenly turned to the fact that they likely wouldn't do it if they werent making money off of it.

It would save a lot but I doubt they would drop the prices very much.

I wish they would get the cost on many things to a very "spendable" level and make it up

In volume. If those large pics were more like $5, I would buy a whole bunch more but at $20 or so I buy none.

Just a thought, ~~Joel~~

our best family photos of past ten years are on cruise ships.

I totally agree with this. I cherish our cruise photos!! I usually will buy 3 or 4, and they always have some sort of package deal going. I know last time on VoS, if you bought X amount of photos you got a nice portfolio with a picture of the ship on one side and room for one of your photos on the other. I have several of those from all our cruises, and they look so nice displayed on a table.

And you don't have to buy all the photos at once to qualify for a package deal -- you just bring your receipt back in and once your cumulative total reaches the magic number, you qualify for the deal.

I'm pretty cheap by nature, but the photos are one thing I always set aside $$ for. :)

We just got of the Enchantment of the Seas, I hate pictures but agreed to take some formal ones for the first time. But one nice thing was that they had 5 different photographers with different backgrounds on the last formal night at least, so we made the rounds to a few of them in the hopes that at least a couple of them would turn out. It was nice to have the various options and just pick the ones we liked.

One of the things we like about RC over Carnival is that they do not push taking and selling pictures as much. We usually spend 30 minutes a day on a Carnival cruise and at least $100 dollars on pictures, because we can't resist them. On RC, we just got back from the Voyager, and we spent 9.95 for one picture and we hardly spent any time looking at pics because we had very few taken. We love our old cruise pics, but it was nice not to be bombarded with photography everywhere we went.

I recently posted this info on the cruise tips page .

When you purchase one of those 19.95 pictures you own the copy write to it. We actually use a cruise as an opportunity to get just the right shot for a family portrait or a fun Christmas card. Once you find one you like just buy the one or two. Once your home you just go to image.com and fill out the information about your sailing. Then have someone like walmart or Walgreen's print out as many as you want. We used these taken in July for our Christmas card this year. Just remember to pack clothes just for pictures. :D

2375456880053366211S200x200Q85.jpg

2958515340053366211S200x200Q85.jpg

2538179280053366211S200x200Q85.jpg

All printed on cards at Walgreen's, no problem. They actually know me there now and don't even bother asking for the release because they know I have one or could in a matter of minutes.

We did get a deal on the ship, think it was buy 5 or 6 get an album and a picture of the ship for free.

BonVoyage

Dawna

Sorry but I've never cruised before. You take "studio" pictures on a cruise? I thought you only took pics like getting on and all dressed up.

They have all types, the white background we have above has been on every cruise we have been on for about 4 years. Seems they have a solid black & red background too. It make for some fun photos, dressed up or not. They also have backgrounds of ships or like the stairs from Titanic. Seen some pictures are taken on a funky couch they have or in front of the glass flowers in Bolarios. Each day in the Compass it will tell you when & where photos are being taken. No appointments, You just show up and let them snap away. No sitting fee :D Formal night the lines tend to be a bit longer so take that into consideration so your not late to dinner. You can wear what ever you want for the photos.

BonVoyage

Dawna

I recently posted this info on the cruise tips page .

When you purchase one of those 19.95 pictures you own the copy write to it. We actually use a cruise as an opportunity to get just the right shot for a family portrait or a fun Christmas card. Once you find one you like just buy the one or two. Once your home you just go to image.com and fill out the information about your sailing. Then have someone like walmart or Walgreen's print out as many as you want. We used these taken in July for our Christmas card this year. Just remember to pack clothes just for pictures. :D

All printed on cards at Walgreen's, no problem. They actually know me there now and don't even bother asking for the release because they know I have one or could in a matter of minutes.

We did get a deal on the ship, think it was buy 5 or 6 get an album and a picture of the ship for free.

BonVoyage

Dawna

Interesting.....We had a great family photo years ago and we bought the only one we could buy back then...an 8X10 for $20. It was before you could have other copies made on the ship. We took it to our photographer in town and they refused to make us copies saying it would violate copyright laws. I went to CVS and made one anyway but I could never get anything larger than an 8X10. Thanks for the info.

Interesting.....We had a great family photo years ago and we bought the only one we could buy back then...an 8X10 for $20. It was before you could have other copies made on the ship. We took it to our photographer in town and they refused to make us copies saying it would violate copyright laws. I went to CVS and made one anyway but I could never get anything larger than an 8X10. Thanks for the info.

Technically, the photos are copyrighted material, but the allow you to make copies. In the future, if you want to do this, and your local shop is concerned about the legality, you can go to this site and get a copyright release. They are the vendors for RCI's photo services.

https://www.image.com/html/guest-postcruiseCopyrightReleaseForm.cfm

Technically, the photos are copyrighted material, but the allow you to make copies. In the future, if you want to do this, and your local shop is concerned about the legality, you can go to this site and get a copyright release. They are the vendors for RCI's photo services.

https://www.image.com/html/guest-postcruiseCopyrightReleaseForm.cfm

Thank you

Sailed the Oasis in 2010 and the girlfriend and I purchased the dvd for 200 and somthing. It was alot for pictures, however, we took advantage of it. We sailed with a party of 6, and when ever someone in my party wanted a pictrue i would give them my seapass card. Even with face recognition my picture folder was full of pictures of which i wasn't in. at end of the cruise 300 pictures awaited in my binder and the six of us split the cost. we followed the instructions on the dvd and were able to release all 300 photos of their copyright and reprint then as we saw fit.

Archived