Not the usual dining room attire question

Atty

Hi all...new to Carnival. I am one of those people that like to dress for the formal/elegant night in my tux. My question is what is the percentage of people that you see in a tux on those nights? I know that in my experience on RCCL, the number has dropped dramatically over the last 10 years. I don't want to pack my tux and stuff only to feel very uncomfortably overdressed once I get there. I know there is no "reason" for me to feel uncomfortable, but I would if I was in a tux and the majority of people were in khakis and dress shirts

I am hoping to sail the Splendor in July (7nighter)

Thanks everyone

There are not alot of tuxes to be seen anymore...a shame IMHO. But still my SO does wear one on formal nights and I dress up too! We enjoy it! We cruise with a group and even at our table there is a wide variety of dress. Wear what you are comfortable in but I wouldn't leave the tux at home just because others don't wear them! We are tee shirt and shorts people at home (I even wear them to work!) so we really do like the rare opportunity to dress to the nines!!:p

Hi all...new to Carnival. I am one of those people that like to dress for the formal/elegant night in my tux. My question is what is the percentage of people that you see in a tux on those nights? I know that in my experience on RCCL, the number has dropped dramatically over the last 10 years. I don't want to pack my tux and stuff only to feel very uncomfortably overdressed once I get there. I know there is no "reason" for me to feel uncomfortable, but I would if I was in a tux and the majority of people were in khakis and dress shirts

Thanks everyone

I would guess that it is maybe 10% in tuxs, although I only know about early seating. It is increasingly rare. Another larger percentage in suits or sport jackets, and a far number (I won't try and guess) in khakis and dress shirts. and maybe as many as 10% in whatever they had on during the day- jeans and maybe collared shirts. My guess anyway, and as I said- first seating.

Thanks everyone

Less than 2 - 3 %. In all honesty seeing a tux is a rare occurrence.

Sadly things have gotten really casual over the last few years. We like to dress up and I enjoy seeing others dressed up, all those guys looking at you are just envious.

Another point of view:

Happily things have gotten really casual over the last few years.

We got tired of playing "vacation dress-up" after the first few cruises.

That's one of the many reasons we choose Carnival instead of a more formal line.

One of the big bonuses of being on vacation is not having to dress up. We're "business casual" at work, but there are still too many times when business formal attire is required. So I'm not a big fan of the dress-up.

That said, I would encourage the original poster to wear his tux if he wants to. I agree with the posters who say that the percentage wearing tuxes is closer to 1% than 10%, especially during the early seating. Assuming a 50-50 mix of men and women, then 10% would be one tux at almost every second large table. It is more like a handful sprinkled in the room and I didn't see one on the last elegant night of my last Carnival cruise.

That said, there is a range of formal dress, including suits and sportcoats with ties. So it's not as if wearing a tux would put you so far over the top that passengers would stop and point.

If you enjoy dressing up and wearing a tux, go for it. I do not enjoy dressing up in the slightest bit and enjoy the fact that it's not a problem to wear tasteful, but less formal clothes on Carnival.

Thanks for the information. It is too bad but it is a trend I see on RCCL as well. It seems to me that they could save the money on the printing of all the dress code stuff and lower our fares if the code doesn't mean anything :)

I too am a shorts and T-shirt guy but I like the fact I still fit into my tux after 16 years :)

DW and I both dress up, but we don't feel out of place. I even wear a tie to regular dinner in the MDR. There's still a bit of something (romance?;)) about dressing up to look good with my lady. And this after 45 years of doing it. And yet, we too are jeans and tee shirt people at home. :D

DW and I both dress up, but we don't feel out of place. I even wear a tie to regular dinner in the MDR. There's still a bit of something (romance?;)) about dressing up to look good with my lady. And this after 45 years of doing it. And yet, we too are jeans and tee shirt people at home. :D

I agree.. Part of the romance and the civility of dressing formal is to "dress formal". Is is sad that people are getting lazy. I wear a uniform to work and I take pride to press it and iron myself. I find it nice to take the time to dress novel.

Thanks everyone

I wear my tux. If i drive to the pier, I bring two. Just make sure the shirt neck is not too tight.

When we drive to the pier I take a tux and a sport coat. When we fly I take a dark suit with a second pair of slacks. My wife still takes a formal and a cocktail dress.

We like to dress up, but the baggage restrictions have taken a bit of a toll.

Observation: more people still dress up on RCCL than Carnival. One is not better than the other, just different in this regard.

I agree.. Part of the romance and the civility of dressing formal is to "dress formal". Is is sad that people are getting lazy. I wear a uniform to work and I take pride to press it and iron myself. I find it nice to take the time to dress novel.

People are not lazy they are on vacation.

Times and cruising have changed.

If you want old time formal I'm sure there is a cruise line for you.

But please don't call people lazy if they are just following dress guidelines.

On our first cruises way back when, we did the tux and gown thing. Then I got smart. While I llke dressing nicely for dinner, I bring black slacks with a couple of pretty tops....dress it up with some jewelry or a nice scarf and that serves as my "formal" night attire. I have found that those that do dress all the way up run back to their cabins to change right after dinner. Silly to me, but to each his own.

Archived