NCL/TA Relationship

roger001

I've booked all my cruises through a TA. After the first one however, having then become more educated about cruises, ships, deck plans, rooms, etc (much learned here on CC), I began doing my own leg work in preparing for the next cruise. I would determine the desired room, price and such, then tell my TA what I wanted and ask her to see what she could do for me. She has always given a slightly better price than NCL's advertised previously by getting NCL to give a price reduction or by her giving up a bit of commission. Lately, as I read on here and as told me by the TA, they can't discount the NCL price, but will give instead an OBC. Which ever is fine with me. Anyhow, today I submitted to my TA my requested info for my next intended cruise, including a specific room number on the ship. She called back and said the info that NCL provides them shows the room not available. I said the NCL web site still had it listed as open. While I held, she got on with NCL on another line. NCL told her same thing, room not available, but here are some others instead to offer. I didn't want any of those. I got on the NCL web site to check, and the room I had requested was listed still as available. I figured the NCL computer was just late removing it. However, I tried blocking it...and did. No problem, room was mine for the next 30 minutes. I called TA back. She called NCL saying it was available and I had it blocked. NCL said all I could do was secure it through them NCl's web site and then if I wished I could transfer the booking to my TA. I did...and did. But I had to do the complete reservation myself on NCL web site, then call NCL telling them I wanted to transfer it to my TA. I did...and then was instructed to forward in writing my booking transfer request to an NCL email address with all cruise information and TA information. NCL did at this time try to sell me some insurance, but I said I'd do that through my TA as usual. Anyhow, all has been accomplished and the transfer will be accomplished with the next 48 hrs or so according to NCL. Bottom line, it appears that NCL is limiting TA access to some of the opportunities that a customer might get through NCL itself. Nothing wrong with NCL trying to pump up their bottom line by doing so. But do be aware that there might be a change in progress that is going to eventually exclude TA from participating. I know this is happening with some airline and hotel reservation sales. As my TA told me later today, it's embarrassing to her, makes her appear to be imcompetant....and makes her feel as if she should split her commission with me since I did all the work. She is giving me an OBC. This is all just educational information...not complaining.

Archived