All things EARTH...

Anita, about that camel coat...the joke in my end of the country is that you would need it from October until the end of May. But, our weather isn't that bad...most of the time. ;) I do recall snow one year on Mother's Day, and it is not unusual for some seriously cold weather in the fall. It just isn't every single day.

The coat style isn't good for me, but it would sure keep me warm!

We have a Goodwill drop off center not too far from me. It is fairly new. I'm not sure if there is a store at that location or not. We have mostly Rescue Mission and Salvation Army stores around here. There is a really large, popular Salvation Army store that I admit I've never been to. I've been to the Rescue Mission store a few times, but wasn't impressed. Many items were in poor condition overall. I will have to go back and check it out again.

You know what I love? Vintage purses. I love to go to this antique/second hand store we have nearby. I could browse for hours, and I always find a cute purse or two staring at me. Since so many of those are black or silver, I don't really buy much. It is still fun to look though!

One of the features in the InStyle magazine that I bought was a page where readers sent in a picture of themselves in their own version of an outfit they liked from a previous issue. The photos were placed side-by-side. The yellow top in this picture got me to thinking about how I might use things in my closet to replicate this look for myself (minus the very wide pants):

InStyle6.jpg

Here is a question for everyone: which picture of Marion Cotillard do you like best? I definitely don't like her as a blond. Is she an EARTH?

InStyle7.jpg

Oooo...Margaret, I LOVE that outfit! I wonder what the sleeves look like for the sweater and the shirt underneath...

The grouping of photos of Marion...that's hard to pick out what I like best. I HATE the heavy black eyeliner...I also don't love her in the orange hair...personally, I'm not a big fan of the dramatic lips...I like emphasis on eyes more...for me, I like the 2006 and the 2009 photos best.

I've been looking at other photos of her...I do think she might be EARTH...I think these look great:

Marion%20Cotillard-SPX-031075.jpg

Model+Muse+Costume+Gala+New+York+City+2+1YQHZ0RSW_1l.jpg

84822.jpg

She definitely looks better in warmer makeup and hair...black isn't great...pale colors wash her out...

Ladies...I just have to share this website. I posted a link on a different thread here on the fashion board...I explored the site further and it is FULL of inspiration. Take some time to navigate around. Click on a look you like and see the outfit in greater detail with more photos...see what other collections the outfit appears in...etc etc. So much to see...

http://chicisimo.com/fashion/fashionista/mariachicisimo/sets/oranges-and-tangerines/page/2/?_t=1348961605977

The link above is to a page about Orange and Tangerine...which should appeal to both my EARTH and FIRE sisters. Enjoy!

Oh, that brick red dress is delicious!

I like the 2009 look too, but I always second guess myself when it is a look that I would choose for myself, since I don't always pick well. Her coloring is very similar to mine (before I went auburn), so she's someone I like to watch.

I will say, I do like a dramatic lip at night, and during the winter months when my skin is lighter. Maybe it's a NYC thang.

I'm having packing anxiety. Five weeks to go and I'm struggling. I think it's because I have two packing styles that are at war on this trip. In some cases, I planned out what I would wear on each day. On other vacations, I took a mix/match Vivienne Files-style wardrobe. I haven't been on a large cruise ship in quite a while, so just figuring out what I might need during the day is a challenge. Do I want tank tops? Long sleeves?? Shorts, capris, or skirts??? :eek: At least the excursions and formal nights are easy!

Last year when we went to The Galapagos, the only criteria were does this fit in the sink so I can wash it, will it dry quickly, and can I pack two weeks of clothes and stay under 40lbs. :)

Ladies...I just have to share this website. I posted a link on a different thread here on the fashion board...I explored the site further and it is FULL of inspiration. Take some time to navigate around. Click on a look you like and see the outfit in greater detail with more photos...see what other collections the outfit appears in...etc etc. So much to see...

http://chicisimo.com/fashion/fashionista/mariachicisimo/sets/oranges-and-tangerines/page/2/?_t=1348961605977

The link above is to a page about Orange and Tangerine...which should appeal to both my EARTH and FIRE sisters. Enjoy!

This site is totally fun! And it's so great to be able to see people from all over the world. Am I right in thinking that these are real people? I just took a look at the link and clicked on the fabulous combination of neon orange dress, lime green shoes, and aqua accessories, green belt, and green nails to find out that this picture came from Russia! Now, I have to delve further into the site to see if the "clip" or the "person" is Russian... but silll, what a hoot! And then the other collections where the outfit appears is fabulous as well, because it seems to just go on and on.

I encourage everyone to grab a sippy beverage and go to this site and start clicking away.... because it is very inspiring.

WTG, Anita.

Edited by Member123
excited typing creating many, many typos

Hi, ladies:

You ladies are more "awake" than my FIRE ladies! So I'm going to ask my question over here first (I'll see if my ladies answer and if they don't then I'll ask "over" there as well).

As a background piece of info, I've found an amazing travel blog from someone who is on a Holland America ship for 221 days! Not a typo... this solo traveler is taking a world voyage. He left Seattle and is headed to Japan; he's been on the ship for 9 sea days... so far...

So, last night the ship had a Silver & Black Ball. He posted pics and I didn't see anyone (of course, he may not have posted someone who was "non"-conforming... anyway) who wasn't participating by wearing black or silver. Lots of LBDs. Lots of tuxedos (really sharp on the men, that's for sure!). Lots of silver gowns. No gold. No bright warm clear colors!... oh... where am I?... ummm... muted, warm colors! (LOL).

What would we do? How would we participate in this event? What would you do? The options are... pout in our stateroom... ok.. not going to happen with us as we love to be out and about and participate in the FUN... wear black?... wear silver?... wear deep, dark chocolate brown and hope that no one notices?... wear deep, dark navy and hope the same thing?... IDK... thoughts?...

On White Night onboard Celebrity, it's pretty easy to wear the creme or ivory that would still be so flattering for us. After all, there are so many shades of white that a creme or ivory just blends right in. But, it's not that easy to blend into silver... black...?... I admit this one threw me a bit.

I would join in the fun and wear black. It may not be the absolute BEST color on me, but I look pretty good in black, in fact wore it on my last cruise as you can see in my pic. Did you notice whether anyone had on accessories that weren't black or silver? I suppose you could do a necklace or earrings in an Earth color if you really felt you needed that extra warmth around your face.

First...since we are sharing shoes we love...

I'm in love with these shoes!!! Whoever heard of wedge trainers? Seriously?

http://www.nastygal.com/shoes-wedges/venice-wedge-sneaker-green

http://www.asos.com/ASOS/ASOS-ACTIVE-Wedge-Trainers-With-Suede-Detail/Prod/pgeproduct.aspx?iid=2183693&SearchQuery=wedge%20trainers&sh=0&pge=1&pgesize=20&sort=-1&clr=Offwhite

I think I was inspired by this look:

zara-crema-bershka-jerseys-1~look-index.jpg

For the black and silver...

I would have serious problems with that. I don't own anything in black or silver. NOTHING.

I think people may not believe that...because black is so basic for so many people...but with all the weight loss and the clearing out of clothing and purchasing new...I have black pajamas still...but that's it. And I would have an issue getting something to wear to just this one occasion...

SO. I have no idea what I would do besides wearing black and silver to join in the fun...but I would probably not be wearing black and silver...

@centralcalicruzer. Hello! Yeah, I think you EARTH ladies can get away with black a bit easier than we FIRE gals.

Here's a link to the blog: http://amazingvoyages2.blogspot.com/2012_09_01_archive.html

in case anyone wants to go browse through the pictures. This blogger is short on words and long on pictures.

I did catch one blonde who looked like she had a blue/gray gown, which was probably passing for silver in the light(s) of the ship. I suppose that is what I'd have to do... try to find a warm silver? Does that exist? A silver with a brown undertone?

In the pictures (and, again, he might have been selective in whom he posted), there is no one who isn't in the silver / black of the Silver & Black Ball night.

I've thought that Anita looked good in black... and then I see her in chocolate brown or plum and I change my mind! She looks "acceptable" in black, but fabulous in the warmth of the other colors. Now, I know there's the whole discussion of a warm, brown black... I suppose you EARTH(s) can get away with that if you can FIND IT! I don't know what a poor FIRE is to do? What would you recommend for me?!? Me, me, me....:rolleyes:

You'd think that a necklace would help and make a difference but I have pictures that disprove that theory! All those tops ended up in Anita's wardrobe because the brilliant gold necklace didn't get the job done and then the outfit just looked... well... bad... :p

Maybe you could go for silver-like and hit the champagne note? Like this one:

http://www.dillards.com/product/Adrianna-Papell-Sequin-Side-Ruche-Gown_301_-1_301_503262788?df=03824656_zi_champagne

This might be better for EARTH...but here's "smoke" for silver:

http://www.dillards.com/product/Adrianna-Papell-Beaded-Halter-Gown_301_-1_301_502940251?df=03683967_zi_taupe

Edited by Anita Latte

Anita, cute shoes! I have these -- in black, unfortunately -- and they are great walking shoes, easy on the feet:

http://www.buy.com/prod/dkny-active-women-s-raina/227275582.html?listingId=243591388

For the black & silver party, for me I would go with a taupe-y silver like this, with some pearls and a very warm red lipstick:

http://www.dillards.com/product/Tadashi-OfftheShoulder-Gown_301_-1_301_502618148?rr=true

I think this color might read as silver at night, in context with everyone else's outfits:

InStyle8.jpg.20c143cf773dbf1c9cf40df5190b20ff.jpg

Another poll! Which is your favorite, and do you think she is an Earth or a Fire? I like the purple #3, and the red #2. Even though she is a natural blonde, I really like her best with red hair:

EmmaOne.jpg

EmmaTwo.jpg

Hi, ladies:

You ladies are more "awake" than my FIRE ladies! So I'm going to ask my question over here first (I'll see if my ladies answer and if they don't then I'll ask "over" there as well).

As a background piece of info, I've found an amazing travel blog from someone who is on a Holland America ship for 221 days! Not a typo... this solo traveler is taking a world voyage. He left Seattle and is headed to Japan; he's been on the ship for 9 sea days... so far...

So, last night the ship had a Silver & Black Ball. He posted pics and I didn't see anyone (of course, he may not have posted someone who was "non"-conforming... anyway) who wasn't participating by wearing black or silver. Lots of LBDs. Lots of tuxedos (really sharp on the men, that's for sure!). Lots of silver gowns. No gold. No bright warm clear colors!... oh... where am I?... ummm... muted, warm colors! (LOL).

What would we do? How would we participate in this event? What would you do? The options are... pout in our stateroom... ok.. not going to happen with us as we love to be out and about and participate in the FUN... wear black?... wear silver?... wear deep, dark chocolate brown and hope that no one notices?... wear deep, dark navy and hope the same thing?... IDK... thoughts?...

On White Night onboard Celebrity, it's pretty easy to wear the creme or ivory that would still be so flattering for us. After all, there are so many shades of white that a creme or ivory just blends right in. But, it's not that easy to blend into silver... black...?... I admit this one threw me a bit.

Hi Pam,

If it were me, I would go with a true FIRE brown or creme :eek: I wouldn't go with either black or silver for 3 reasons--

1. I would look like death warmed over

2. I would never wear black or silver again and too cheap to buy for a 1 time occasion

3. I would rather look my best than blend in with everyone else (which, if I wore black or silver I would stand out anyway because I would look like #1 above--death warmed over)

Just my thoughts.

Hi Pam,

If it were me, I would go with a true FIRE brown or creme :eek: I wouldn't go with either black or silver for 3 reasons--

1. I would look like death warmed over

2. I would never wear black or silver again and too cheap to buy for a 1 time occasion

3. I would rather look my best than blend in with everyone else (which, if I wore black or silver I would stand out anyway because I would look like #1 above--death warmed over)

Just my thoughts.

Hi, Kim! You know what I think is so great and incredible about the answers to this question? It's simply that we've learned so much about what we look good in (what really enhances us) that we can "tweak" this occasion to our needs! We are a creative bunch! Within the parameters of the guidelines of the themed party, we are able to still dress within our palette. I think we've all come a long, long way.... well, speaking for me, I did have a flustered moment when I saw the theme of the formal night deck party, but you ladies have just opened up my eyes to being able to participate and still look and feel fabulous.

I'm on a countdown to my next cruise. It always seems to be right around the corner whenever the clock dips below 60 days!

You know you made a comment to me about whether I thought my outerwear jackets were FIRE or enhanced my outfits, and I immediately answered (in my thoughts)... no... so I've done something about that! Remarkably, I've ordered an ORANGE coat! We'll see when it arrives if it is as bright as it appears to be on the monitor. Also, I ordered a YELLOW jacket, which I know.... limoncello... that this is bright. I couldn't resist... $17 on sale from $128 at Cache! O.M.G. and L.O.L.

The site that Anita posted previously was just super inspiring to me. What a bevy of beauties and so, so creative in their outfits. It just made me feel even better and dressing in our color, color, color...

Joby, I wouldn't even look like death warmed over. I would just look...dead.

My daughter is a fire like you and Anita's mom, and black is probably the absolutely worst color she can wear. Coming in at a close second for her is white. I think I wear black better than her, but people have always asked me if I was sick or very tired when I wore black.

I am to the point now, where I can easily see black and say no. I do have a pair of black pants, and they are mostly still in my wardrobe because they now fit. :D

How about a brown and ivory party?????

Emma Stone...I'm liking #1, 8 and 9. Don't those black and white outfits just drain her? I can say that a lot of her outfits are very beautiful, even when the colors aren't right. She is a very classy dresser in general.

Oh, and I wore my animal print pumps today. It was a good day.

I found the GOOD Goodwill store today...great brands, good condition!! I had a lot of fun shopping for some cooler weather clothing...and I'm reporting here what I found...

I bought these crop cargo pants for $4.94! (This is the right color (the rusty one...but mine aren't petite):

http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/jag-jeans-gabrielle-crop-cargo-pants-petite/3049372

I bought a wool blend wrap pencil skirt in a plaid with a brown base with tan and orange. I'm very excited about this little skirt because it will go with SO MUCH that I own. I like that look of heavy tights with a winter skirt...but all my skirts are way to summery to have that look be successful. The brand is Style & Co. (Macy's store brand)...again...$4.94!

I picked up a very detailed cardigan sweater...it's a bit on the matronly side...and after researching the brand, I read that it used to be a part of the whole Liz Claiborne conglomerate...so I get the look...and I wasn't too sure about it honestly...BUT...it will go so well with so many things that I could think of...I'll have to take pictures...for $4.94...I decided to give it a try. Oh. The brand is Sigrid Olsen Sport. It says "knitted by hand" but then again...the label says made in China?

I got a FABULOUS J Crew V-neck cotton sweater...I love it because of the texture of the knit...it is a knit, knit, pearl, pearl pattern that gives it a ribbed texture? and the yarn is an olive/cream heather like blend. OH. I love it. I think it's a men's sweater? Even though it was in the ladies section? Doesn't matter, I could instantly see the outfit with a pair of pants that I bought recently...and AGAIN...who could go wrong at $4.94?

Saving the best for last...I bought a New York & Company Sueded Leather Trench in chocolate brown!!! For $15.91!! It's in EXCELLENT condition! There are a couple photos out there on the web...but the one I got is less boxy...and the pockets are different.

I'll just have to take pictures later. I just had to share now!

I don't mean to be such a label dropper...but I was paying particular attention to the labels and the content of the clothing. With Goodwill having the pricing structure that they do...you can actually overpay for certain labels...like Target, WalMart, some Kohl's, Old Navy, etc...and the deal in Goodwill isn't really all that great a deal.

I'm very excited for my cool weather clothing!

Again...I think shopping in Goodwill is so very interesting. The way that the store is set up for clothing...by function (as in sweater, blouse, shirt, jacket, etc.)...and then further divided by color...it is really easy to see the "right" green with all the greens there for comparison...and interesting to note what type of clothing you gravitate toward. I told Mom that I am casual, textured, and semi-athletic or sporty.

Hope everyone is having a great Friday!

Edited by Anita Latte

Oooo, shopping! Can't wait to see pictures! Especially of the Sigrid Olsen -- I have two or three of those, they're great, and were pricey when new -- an awesome find. Of course I bought mine at Marshalls because I can't stand to buy things that aren't on sale. :)

I treated myself to new shoes today... to go with both a purple dress and a dark brown dress that I'm taking on my cruise (not the glitter ones, the nude patent ones):

http://www.shoemall.com/p/madden-girl-womens-getta-pump/?color=Nude-Patent&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=PLA+Madden%20Girl%20Getta%20Pump%20Nude-Patent&CAWELAID=1455625693&catargetid=1412392051&cagpspn=pla&gclid=COfPtePq6rICFUui4AodgxEAoQ

I have a lacy sweater that color, so those will be two of my dinner outfits. I also got this nail color called Lava, which is so fun and funky, I think it will be my pedicure color for the trip:

http://polishmeplease.wordpress.com/2012/09/27/sally-hansen-lustre-shine-lava-swatches-and-review/

I haven't bought anything else new for my cruise because of my weight loss plan. So, many of the things I'm packing will have their Swan Song and then find a new home after the holidays. It's not going to be all Earth, but I'll try to take pictures along the way.

Back to Emma Stone...according to CJW, she's a FIRE. I remember her from one of the Awards threads he started...

Margaret...how funny that you have a version of those wedge trainers...one pair I liked is sold at Nordstrom...not in the color I like best...but I might have to locate an Nordstrom in this area to at least try them on.

I like your nude heels...is the 3" heel height the height of the heel? or the difference between the platform and the heel? I'm not good on heels. AT ALL. I think they look lovely on others...but I'm not good with them. This color seems similar to the strappy sandals I wore with my red dress for our anniversary...it is a great, versatile shoe color IMO.

Oh...I LOVE that nail polish color! OR multi-color? In my experience...nail polish like that, the metallic colors, chip fairly easily...so not as good on the fingers...good on the toes though...

How excited you must be getting for your cruise? When do you leave? I'm so excited for a Margaret PICTODIARY!!!! *happy dance*

Laurie...wearing fun shoes can just MAKE your day. I forgot to mention that I also bought a handbag...leopard print...the brand is "Especially for You Lord & Taylor"...which I can't find on the Lord and Taylor site...so IDK if it from that store or somewhere else? Fun bag though.

We need some photos around here...

Kim...so glad to read your thoughts on the black and silver party...you rebel you...LOL...I think we all are getting to the point where we are seeking a measure of conforming to things like this theme...but also staying true to what we know makes us look our best.

Today I decided to just start playing with the four new clothing items that I got. As I was doing this...I realized that you really can't buy too many new clothes at one time and really expect to know what to do with them. At least...I can't. If you are really going to start wearing something new...you have to take some time to figure out the new outfits that include the new item. And if you don't do that...then the new item will just hang there in the closet with the tags on while you continue to reach for the tried and true familiar items you have been wearing.

So I took a lot of pictures as I was just finding what could go with my new stuff. I didn't try anything on yet. But I thought I'd share the process...because pictures are always fun. And Margaret, you seemed very interested in my new Sigrid Olsen Sport item...so I'm sharing that one first.

There is a glare on these photos...so the way that they appear in each photo varies...but we should all be used to that concept by now...

Here's the Silgrid Olsen Sport cardigan:

GoodwillShopping008.jpg

GoodwillShopping003.jpg

GoodwillShopping005.jpg

GoodwillShopping004.jpg

GoodwillShopping006.jpg

GoodwillShopping007.jpg

I wanted ya'll to see all the detail, so I took a lot of photos of this yummy cardigan. The detail is really nice...the beads...the fact that the design is incorporated into the knit and isn't an applique. Really nice. I told Mom that when you see this cardigan, it makes sense that I enjoy cross-stitch. To me, this cardigan is a bit like wearing a cross-stitch design. I think it is more like art, than just clothing. And I really like that about this cardigan.

The base color is a heathered tan...with a darker muddier tan accent...the coral color is very coral...NOT ORANGE...the accent purple isn't really a color that I think is EARTH...but I don't think it affects the overall warmth of the sweater and just adds a bit of interest.

Not that I have ever really considered this before...this is all new...BUT...I think this is an element of my Style Statement coming out...which may have previously been realized ONLY in jewelry in the past...

That's my max photos...so...posting...

My first thought with the cardigan was that it could help me take my tanks and camis into fall...so the first thing I did was see how many different tanks and camis would go:

GoodwillShopping009.jpg

Beginning in the lower left and going clockwise: dark brown cami, dark rust cami, light peach tank (I know it looks white, but it isn't), medium rust/coral tank, terracotta tank, the tank I can't take a bad photo in, and a plum tank. The only short sleeved shirt that really worked is that coral one Mom gave me that I have worn so much...and it's in the dryer...so not in the photo.

Then I wanted to see what bottoms might go:

GoodwillShopping010.jpg

Same order as before: those Eileen Fisher cargo capris, the Jag crop pants I just bought, the multi-colored maxi skirt, the new wool wrap skirt I just bought. I think it goes without saying that jeans and any kind of tan/khaki bottoms will go with the cardigan...and so I didn't bother with the obvious.

So overall...I'm thinking this cardigan will be a great addition to my fall wardrobe...and I'm excited to try on some outfits to see what really works together stylewise.