All things EARTH...

Margaret, those pictures are so fun! There are some wonderful earthy colors out there. Now, I just need to find them here, locally! Actually, I've been doing pretty good overall. I just don't see much in the way of formal wear in these great colors.

We have a BCBG Maxazria outlet in the mall now. I love to go in there and drool over the dresses. Unfortunately, the largest size they carry is a 14, which won't work for me for a few reasons: 1) good formal wear is generally a size smaller than what you wear everyday and 2) boobs. Sorry to put it that way, but I have a real bad problem with getting the girls into formal dresses, even though the rest of the dress fits.

Not everything is formal, but all of their items tend to be very fitted. My daughters were with me, and there were some wonderful, warm ivory cocktail dresses that they would both look so good in! Ah....

Anita, I like that sweater on you. What kind of temperatures are you having down there? We are in the low 50s right now. It gets pretty cold overnight. I wore a short sleeved shirt, dress pants, and a brushed suede style jacket today. I was wishing I had a light jacket over that!

Isn't short hair fun? I might post some pictures soon of various hair lengths I've had over the years. Maybe you all can help lead me in the right direction.

I am pre-menopausal, I think. My hair is thin, but there is quite a bit of it. It is silky like and flat, and gets silkier and flatter as it grows. Layers and an overall top of the shoulder length is usually the bst overall for me in the sense that I can style it more without it going limp on me.

From my first cruise in 2008....style was good, cool highlights was not!

100_1208.jpg

This picture will likely come out bigger than life, thanks to Photobucket. It's from the same cruise, but gives you a closer up shot. I cannot do anything like this with my hair now as it is longer.

scan0002-1.jpg

I believe this is 2009. What do you think of the bangs? The color is a redder version of my natural color. I really like this hairstyle, I'm just worried it may be dated.

LaurieGirls_139.jpg

Current "do"

310.jpg

My hair is SO a-buggin' me right now! I am just waiting for my Saturday appointment! In the meantime, this miserable hair is just bringing me down! :(

Laura, I so relate to the bangs vs no-bangs decision. For me, I printed out five pictures to take to my hairstylist. This will be my discussion with him: (1) didn't like because it was way too "styled" and "stuffy" with no movement, like a cap of hair... bangs contributed to my feeling about that look (similar to your beautiful fall picture with the chestnut hair), (2) good length but the bangs split into an upside down "V" which ended up not being flattering for my face, even though it added length, (3) bangs were the best but the length wasn't, (4) good bangs, bad length, (5) a picture from a website with absolutely perfect bangs! So, I've decided that bangs are coming back into my hair life.

I've tried so hard to figure out what my face shape is. Have you? After studying all these pictures of me, I've also learned that the earrings shape can alter the feeling of a hairstyle. I didn't think about that too much when I was purchasing the earrings... I don't know why?!? But, there's a difference between wearing a circle earring and a teardrop earring.. and how that relates to the length of the hair. The teardrop adds length, and the circle adds width... so, for me, I should concentrate on longer earrings because I need the length rather than the width illusion.

I don't know how helpful I can be for you except to say that I relate! Same boat! The website that I found with hundreds of hair style photos is www.hairfinder.com and it has sections for short, medium, long hair... with/without bangs, etc.

As far as the pictures that you posted, I really love your 2008 hairstyle. I think it's so versatile and I really like you with the tousled look and crown height. I think your version of the (what I'm calling) inverted "v" works... I like it when the bangs have more fullness on one side than on the other; in other words, the "v" is offcenter from the face... not right up from the center of the nose, if I'm making sense. That was the problem with my version of the "v" in where my natural part creates the split; I have to fight with my natural part all the time! Which is why I like the version of bangs that seem to come forward from the crown of the head rather than being created from the part.

I would vote for going back to a version of the 2008 hairstyle and going lighter with chestnut lowlights. I think that the full on chestnut was just ever so slightly a little too heavy feeling on you. I sure wish I had the vocabulary to express what I'm thinking/feeling when I look at these pictures. BUT, all this being said... it could just be possible that I love the beaming smile and love light in your eyes of the picture from 2008 with your hubby... :confused:..

Are you leaning a particular way?

I think that 2009 is a bit of a retro hair style. But did you see the Ralph Lauren ad with Jackie Kennedy hair?!? OMG: I wore that hair style in high school in the 60's! Anyway, I think that 2009 would be updated if the bangs were more choppy and you had the ability to do a side sweep with them... that would bring it right into modern.

Hair is... just... AAARGGH!.... LOL. :D

Laurie,

Fun walking through your hair diary:) aren't those gargantuan pics a little unnerving--they are to me when I see a big ol' picture of myself on the screen:eek:

As for hair, mine is naturally curly and about 15 years ago I quit fighting it and just had it layered and cut and it does its own thing. I'm MUCH happier with it too!!!! I do feel blessed with my curls now (I didn't always though!). It's also good for me as I don't like to mess with hair much either. I blow dry upside down, give it a shake, spray on a little hairspray and call it good.

I did recently start coloring my hair with "Shades" to cover the gray. It was hard for me to decide to finally bite the bullet and color it. I just went very close to my natural color and am pleased with it. I color it every 4 months and get it cut every 2 months.

Good luck with your decision on your hair :)

Yesterday I had to go buy some non-baggy-butt underwear (yay!) and treated myself to these awesome dark red pants at Macy's (not full price, natch):

http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/alfani-pants-skinny-seamed-riding-pants?ID=705649&CategoryID=157#fn=BRAND%3DAlfani%26sp%3D1%26spc%3D10%26ruleId%3D65%26slotId%3D2

On my monitor, they look wine-colored, but they're actually warmer than that.

AND... OT but good news, DH has had two job offers this week! !!! I'm so happy:D:D:D:D:D

Oh Margaret...I'm so happy for you and DH Re: the job offers!!! YAY!!!! SO HAPPY.

I really like those pants! That seems like a very flattering...and somewhat forgiving...cut of pant in the current slim style. Did you say that you also had a straight body type? I can't remember if you were that or curvy. Anyway...I'm straight and I find that pants that have a detail like that pocket are really flattering...that zipper just adds enough visual weight to help the hip v. waist ratio...which for me (especially lately) is pretty non-existent.

I'm sipping a lovely ruby red drink that I probably shouldn't indulge in right now...BUT...here's to two new job offers!!! *clink*

So much catching up to do here!

Thanks for the hair thoughts, Anita's mom. I've been leaning towards the 2008 cut myself. When I have those shorter layers, my hair is much more responsive to styling. Now, I was getting it colored and highlighted every 6 weeks, and I think that added a bit of texture to it. Okay, I'm being nice. It made my hair a bit dry. I used this product too after I curled it called Hair Taffy, or something like that. I know that I could probably still do something very similar but with my current color.

Bangs are one of those things...my daughters have been very determined to convince me to grow them out. Of course, you know the teen/early 20 group right now, they all wear their hair the same, and bangs are not included. I think that my forehead reminds me of a billboard, so I always want to cover it, lol. That is where those side swept bangs from 2008 work so good. They are right in between.

Margaret, those are cute pants! I am rather curvy, so the straight pants that are so popular now aren't too good for me. Isn't is great though when we can find things in our colors? I'm on quite a journey right now with clothes, and learning so much along the way.

Joby, I've always wanted curly hair. And I bet you've always wanted straight hair! Isn't that always the way?

I'm in between things so much now, but who knows. Maybe I will go with a warm brown hair color, and get highlights. Warm, non-blonde highlights. But, before I commit to that, I need to get myself back on track. I want to make sure I'm ready to go every 5-6 weeks and stick with it again.

Margaret, those dresses you posted pictures of are so neat. I loved some fo the colors, especially that brick red color. If I could order a dress right now in any color I wanted, it would be a brick red color. My second choice is a forest green kind of color. Olive gone dark. Those two colors are so hard to find!

Margaret, are you organizing your outfits for your cruise yet? I've been doing so mentally for a while, and I take things out and try them on and plan out the jewelry, shoes, etc. It's way too early to really get them out and ready to pack. I have 107 days! :eek:

Laurie, so funny -- you posted while I was writing this the first time (which I lost by clicking on the wrong thing, I hate when I do that).

I think I also like your haircut in the second photo, the longer bangs give nice movement around your face and look more youthful to me. I LOVE the color in your third photo, though, with the contrast between the darker color and your light eyes. Gorgeous.

Thank you all for the congrats. DH accepted a job on Friday and we celebrated with a nice dinner out and a bit too much vino. He starts as soon as we return from Oz. Between winding down his consulting work and getting ready to leave next week, things are busy around here.

While DH was away earlier this week, I laid out all my cruise possibles on the bed to try to decide what to take. First I eliminated anything that didn't mix and match. Then I backed up and decided I needed to know what I was DOING first, and came up with this list:

Travel outfit, there and back

3 days urban touring

2 beach days

2 water excursions

2 formal nights

2 fancy dinners

7 resort casual dinners

9 days casual daywear

So, I selected three capris, three shorts, two long pants, and five each tanks, tshirts, long-sleeved shirts. We’re going from high 60s to possible 90s, so I need some variety, and I plan on wearing some casual things twice. Three swimsuits, one boardshorts, one coverup. One sweater, one fleece, and one outerwear vest since it will be cold here coming home. Seven summer dresses for dinners, which is definitely more than I would normally take, but I wanted one last chance to wear them before they are all too big (I’m down 14 pounds since August). Two of them I’ll also wear in Sydney pre-cruise. I also chose all my jewelry and shoes. It was fun! I took a photo of my dresses lined up, I’ll post it once I get it off my camera.

This month’s Vogue was a bit disappointing for us EARTH girls, but here are a couple photos:

Love this red Tommy Hilfiger coat:

OctVogue01.jpg

Another divine Ralph Lauren gown:

OctVogue02.jpg

A little eye candy for the ladies J:

OctVogue03.jpg

I can’t believe my cruise is almost here! I’ve been waiting soooooo long!!

I forgot to add that those red pants I bought are AWESOME. They're knit, but very tailored, with gold zipper details on the pockets. So, a little dressy, a little casual, great color, and size 12. :D

I have to say, and we all know this, SIZES LIE. LIE, LIE, LIE. And they had let me lie to myself. I'm trying to get real about that right now, because I was way in denial about what I'd let happen to myself. Just a thought I've been having this week.

Margaret, sizes are soooo...numerical, lol. Really, I know I need to lose weight and I work at it, just a bit at a time. The key thing for me is to create a lifestyle change that sticks. The most difficult thing for me right now is that I'm so big up on top. It's the start of plus sizes. But my body isn't plus sized all over, so things can fit me very poorly. It's a work in progress.

I have really enjoyed the process of planning what to wear. The think ahead process really pays off. I end up much more pulled together. I find myself trying on things all the time, looking to see if they need adjustments and so forth.

Someone at work had this little Aerosoles booklet and I didn't think it would interest me too much. I love their shoes, but I was thinking they'd all be "old lady shoes". I can't wear a lot of the high heels you see right now though. When I was going through it, I saw a lot of nice shoes. There were some sandals on clearance I want to go back to and see if they are still available. I have a wide foot, and often have to buy bigger sizes, then add those inserts to the heels. Oy!

A side note here...

I am noticing a large number of high neck style shirts and dresses lately. Margaret, your pictures confirm that. I love the way they look on the models, but it is a horrible choice for me. I really need a v neck or scoop neck. I think the funny thing is, I always thought it would be better for me to cover up more, and it's not. Those styles really make me look out of proportion. It's funny how we think sometimes, isn't it?

Laurie, I think the high necks are another of the 80s reruns that we're seeing so much of this season. Since I got larger up top I have avoided them also.

Just when I thought I was getting tired of The Vivienne Files, she does a series of posts that are just lovely. I love the turquoise dress in the latest one, and the amber series as well.

My week just got very complicated. We are weathering the hurricane pretty well so far, though our power has flickered a few times. We are not in a flood zone which is the big danger here, and we live in a bunker-like 1950s building so we feel very secure. We are hoping the airports will be able to recover in time for us to leave on Thursday. A minor nuisance, I know, compared to the hardships that others here are suffering. I gave myself a mani-pedi today since we've been housebound since yesterday afternoon, and I may have to do something with my hair tomorrow since I'll surely miss my appointment. I'm trying to have everything ready in case we can still go.

So. Not a scenario I would ever have guessed would be a problem here in NYC.

I'm so glad you posted, Margaret. I've been worried about you! I live in Central New York, and even though we've been prepared for the worst, the weather has been rather typical so far. They are still talking about wind gusts up to 35 MPH for overnight, but that won't slow us down.

I check the Vivienne Files every so often, but I forget a lot when I get busy. I will have to check that out!

You know, I have a 20 year old daughter that has one of those ideal figures. Long legs, great proportions. We were just looking at a website and I saw a beautiful dress with a high neckline, and she said to me "oh Mom, I can't wear those kind of necklines!" Even though she is proportional overall, you have to be pretty small in the bustline or those dresses just don't work. I do love to see all these fashions though, and those high necklines are very "modelesque" if there is such a word. Deep V's are so good for me, but I have to make sure I can still wear a decent bra.

My fingers are crossed that you can cruise! I forgot to ask where you are cruising to, and on what line.

LaGuardia Airport is still flooded, Newark Airport has no power, but they may open JFK tomorrow. That is a good sign for us, and we are all packed, but I know that anything can happen, so I'm trying to be calm about it all.

We are taking Princess in Australia. So, I am worried about getting out of NYC in time to make our LAX-SYD flight which only runs every other day.

Today I cut and colored my hair. It isn't perfect by any means, but at least it looks a bit better. I can't do the complicated layering my stylist does, but it looks ok for now and I know she can fix it later.

No school again tomorrow. Here I thought I was going to be running around all week getting ready for the trip, and instead I'm glued to the weather channel all day.

You know, Margaret, if "wishes were horses" you will be on the plane! We are all holding our breath and wishing the best for you. I feel like I know you so well, through your posts, and I have all fingers crossed that you get to enjoy your vacation.

So true, Anita's mom. I was telling someone at work that my friend lives in the NYC area, and is scheduled to go on a cruise this week, and that I hope she is able to go! You are all my friends here - I am sure of that.

Margaret and Laurie...I'm so glad you both posted...I've been thinking about you both and hoping that you are okay...keeping warm and weathering the storm. Sandy has made it very windy here...and cold...but nothing compared to what you are dealing with, I'm sure.

Margaret, I am so hoping that you are able to go tomorrow! I understand the thought that there are worse things that could happen...BUT...you have been looking forward to this for so long! Your feelings are genuine. And let's face it...WE have been looking forward to you going as well!!

Keep posting and let us know how everyone is doing. We are all friends for sure. Funny how I think about all the ladies on here at various times and places throughout my day.

Anita, we really lucked out here. I am about 4 hours away from NYC, and most of the bad weather missed us completely. We actually had a lot of rain on Tuesday, but nothing to create any issues. We were prepared though, and hoped for the best.

I am very much hoping that Margaret is able to take her cruise!

My nephew works in NYC, and lives in Hoboken, NJ. He evacuated plenty early like it was recommended. He is safe and sound, staying elsewhere. He is unable to see how his condo stood up to all this, and he probably won't be able to find out for quite some time.

Sometimes, I almost feel a bit guilty, but I'm thankful. I knowwe have been spared.

I tell my husband all the time about Anita and Margaret and Anita's mom and so forth. He knows you are all my Cruise Critic friends!

You guys are so great! I feel the same way. Sometimes when I'm shopping I think, oh this is Anita's green color, or this would look great on Laurie, or this is Fire and I like it, but I'll leave it for Pam. I'm glad you feel like you know me from my posts, I try to write so that my personality and interests come through, since writing is less personal than talking face-to-face. :) Sometimes I wish we could all just have coffee together!

At 3:00 we got the notice from Delta to check-in, so we did. I think that is a very good sign! I am literally going to email my family from the plane to let them know I am actually leaving, cross my fingers. I am SO ready for vacation.

Even though we came through the storm unscathed, I have to say I am feeling very stressed, and not just about the vacation. I have tried to stay on an even keel, but today I just wanted to cry about once an hour. There are echos of 9/11 in what is happening here and I think that is what I'm sensitive to today. Those days of not knowing what would happen next, of being trapped because of the transportation issues, trying to track down family and friends to see that they're ok, and the complete disruption of any kind of routine. I think I'm going to have a glass of wine, and go to bed early! But first, a small preview of my cruise wardrobe!

My dresses. If my suitcase won't close, the b&w and the long olive green will be the ones to stay home. You've seen my blue gown before, so it's not here. The brown and ivory Evan Picone, third from the left, is one of my faves but soon I won't have enough up top to fill it out anymore:

OzDresses.jpg

And, my shoes (silver shoes, I know I know, but they go with my formal dresses):

OzShoes.jpg

Wish me luck! If you don't hear from me on Friday, it's because I'm somewhere over the Pacific!

We didn't hear from Margaret so that is good news!!! I hope she is enjoying her cruise, and posts pictures for us when she gets back.

I am working on my wardrobe for my upcoming cruise, even though I have a while. Right now, I probably won't buy too much. Not because I don't want to, but because I won't find anything right now, unless it is an occasional clearance item. It was snowing yesterday. BRRRR!

I am going to take some pictures a lot like Margaret just did. I think it would be nice to see my dresses lined up. Overall, I think they are all nice earth colors. Since working on what looks good on me and what doesn't, I know that a few of the styles are not the best. I am pretty excited though overall. I am still looking for some in between sandals. I want something with a modest heel, and comfortable. A few of my dresses are casual, and I'm not sold on the sandals I have in my closet as far as how they look with the dress. I guess some pictures posted hear may be a good thing - you can all give me your opinions!

Even though I don't cruise until February, it is so much closer now than it was when I made the reservations. I have three months to wait now, but it was a full year when I booked!

Since we get a pretty good winter here, I knew the pickings would be slim and I'd have to look for cruise clothing during the summer or early fall. I like how Margaret posted the pictures of her dresses, so here is my tentative lineup, not including my formal dresses:

IMG_1363.jpg

I have a couple other possibilties, but to review what is showing here, the first dress is this great clearance deal I got a while back at JC Penney. The color is wonderful, and I love the fabric. Quite honestly though, the shift styling is not that great for me. At the same time, it might be great later in the cruise when I want something more comfortable.

The next dress is a great shade of red, although the satin quality throws it off in pictures a bit. I did a lot of comparing in the store and against my color cards to be sure. I debated about the dress style a lot, and finally my husband and daughter told me to take it home, put it on with my dressy sandals, and take a picture. Once I did that, I felt much better about it. I loved the dress, that wasn't the problem. I don't always love my body! Here is me wearing it. What do you guys think?

IMG_1366.jpg

My dog is cute isn't he??

The next up dress is a nice ivory with gold threads running through it. It has an elastic waist with a gold belt. The back is also a V, with a tie on it. Very comfy and classy feeling.

Next up is a dress I got at Dressbarn during the summer with thecruise in mind. The last dress was a clearance deal I recently ordered from JCP. I believe it was $16.00.

I feel very good about all the dresses, but I am not sure about the first one. The best way to explain it is that I think it will look okay. Not great, but nice.

I have an alterntative, and a photo of me in the at first dress:

031.jpg

034.jpg

I've lost a few pounds since then. The dress doesn't really look any different. However, I am having my tailor taper it bit near the waist since it has a zipper. I am hoping it will be an improvement. If not, it is still a great dress, just not on the top of my list.

In the next few days, I will post some of the shoe options and jewelry options. I LOVE to pick neclaces and bracelets that feel different, without being overbearing or odd.

Hey there! It sure is quite over here. I hope everyone is well.

I started looking at my clothes to see what I will bring with me on the cruise. I posted above some dress pictures, as I always wear a dress at dinner.

With the rest of my clothing, I pretty much keep it comfortable for excursions and sightseeing. I might bring things up a notch if it is a sea day and is still comfortable to wear. I find that when I think my clothing looks good, I feel really good too.

I do wear some casual skirts onboard. I try to make sure they will behave in the wind, so I am selective about them. Here are a few of my sea day options:

015.jpg

This one appears cool, color wise. The skirt is great, I don't think it is an issue. However, this is top I've talked about before that is somewhere between warm and cool. I may need to wear it with an extremely warm bottom, just to make sure it doesn't cool down a whole outfit:

012.jpg

I love this one. For whatever reason, I never realized until I had a bunch of stuff out today how well the shirt and skirt work. You can't fully catch it from the picture. You know how colors can be....that is why I always take pictures in my kitchen normally. There is something about the lighting in my room that throws things off.

011.jpg