All things EARTH...

Then there's this one that I wore with the green formal on my last cruise.

IMG_1827_zpsa86a7af7.jpg

Some of my casual options for the day:

IMG_1820_zps329b102d.jpg

IMG_1821_zpsa0412da9.jpg

I think figuring out my outfits first will help with the jewelry. Once I see which shirt and shorts, for example, I can then figure out the shoes and the jewelry. I love pulling the whole thing together.

I know most things look very wrinkled, sorry. I have a tough closet/dresser situation, so most items are ironed or refreshed in the dryer before wearing.

Anita's mom, if you come across the article about necklaces and necklines, can you post it here? I have to admit that I need to try necklaces on before knowing what will work, so if there is a formula I'd love to know what it is. Don't you have a cruise coming up soon too?

Interesting, right?

c500x416.jpg

Laurie, your necklaces look spectacular. I know that wearing neckline jewelry, whether as part of the top or as a necklace (and earrings as well) can absolutely change the look/feel of an outfit. Love what you do!

I agree with you! I think the red dress is calling you and you should answer!

I really like this chart. In most cases, it seems I pick the right style necklace for the right neckline. I think there are some necklaces that can be worn with different necklines, but by far, these are the best match ups.

Next time I get a bit stuck, I'm going to refer back to this chart. I was a bit stuck on the color block maxi, and I decided to go with a necklace that fits the category of a bib necklace, so I was on the right track!

Next up I need to learn a bit more about scarves. I have a few that I wear that I love, but it seems they are a bit full for my neck. I have twisted them loosely to create a thinner profile, but it shortens the scarf too much. In one case, I did a loose twist, doubled it around my neck, and tied it. It had the effect of an infinity scarf and it looked nice.

I don't have much variety in my shirts...especially necklines. Mostly knits. I think this could be one reason why I don't enjoy necklaces as much too. Hmmm. Love to see your outfits Laurie. I've been getting back to painting my nails. Did orange toes and a neutral coral like blush fingers. The finger nail polish was very bubbly and looked not so lovely. But it was fine for Disney. Just finished painting them a dark Olive green called rags to riches. I like the brush on this brand a lot. Loving my fingers right now!

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

http://www.wwd.com/fashion-news/fashion-features/pantones-top-colors-for-spring-2014-7107333?src=twitter/share

Sorry, I haven't had time to comment lately. Been reading along and enjoying. Picked up some of the Pantore color cards at Lowe's but no haven't had time to play with them.

Happy almost Autumn to all!

Jane

Hey Ladies!

Happy Friday to all! I just ordered a pair of super cute casual sneakers, I guess. I had read about the brand Superga on a different thread here on the boards. They are an Italian brand of sneaker similar in concept to Keds or Converse, but their own style. Anyway...I bought a pair of shoes similar to this concept a while back...maybe even 2 years? And I was very surprised at how often I wore them. I had bought a rather boring pair of light tan/natural looking ones...very inexpensive and the rubber soles are very worn. Superga has great, fun colors...and it looks like the rubber around the sole is cream colored for some colors. I ordered the last pair of a great burgundy/wine color called Dark Bordeaux.

2145492-t-THUMBNAIL.jpg

I'm hoping they'll be a more fun neutral for fall/winter.

I saw what I thought was a great outfit in Epcot over the weekend. The woman was a peer, which means that she looked youthful to me but obviously wasn't...I'm terrible at guessing age. She had the smartest outfit on. I absolutely loved it. She was wearing a dress. It looked like a rayon blend...it was a small scale pattern...could have been floral...the main background color was a medium light gray. The dress was A-line with flutter sleeves. It was knee length-ish...I could see her knees as she walked but it didn't look short. She wore a large fiber sun hat. And her shoes were the Converse One Star sold at Target in a gray color that kind of matched with the dress. OMG. She just looked so smart.

I still haven't finished working my way through the Style Statement book. *sigh* I can only handle those deep thoughts for so long...then I need a break. I probably put too much thought into it all. Regardless...I loved this lady's style. The best adjectives to describe how she looked was Flirty Sport. I kept saying to Mom...she was so smart. So very practical for the day and yet...she managed to not just wear something that also just looked practical. Oh. I loved it.

And I realized that the shoes she was wearing were shoes that I also owned and had worn a lot. So now I'm trying a fun new color...

Meanwhile...I also had seen a very cute interpretation of a casual way to wear a maxi shirt with these similar shoes. I did try that look before, but unfortunately, the pair of casual tan sneakers that I had purchased weren't quite cute enough to pull off the look. The brand I have is called "Simple" and they have a big rubber toe on them...and edging around the laces.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRJKbFQ1Ii4xNnUnh59koEMRPfK7yapsw8A7NtCkyqD4AsBAVVB1g

I have high hopes for this Superga brand and their ability to be worn is a more "flirty" way the way I saw the woman in Epcot. Superga seems to have a great selection of potential Earth colors. New shoes should be here Monday...I hope that color is really Earth!

Laurie, I know we've seen some of your clothes and jewelry before, but it's great to see it all laid out like this. So many awesome choices! I think we all would love to raid your jewelry box. I love how unique each piece is, and each more stunning than the next.

Thanks Anita's mom for sharing the necklace chart -- I think I'm going to print it out and hang it in my closet until I get better at this. I love a good shortcut for getting dressed for work.

I looked at my nails this morning and for once they are all the same length. So I did them in this great neutral called San Tan-tonio:

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-WefcJcpPw5E/TYkJVdDTPrI/AAAAAAAAK_A/psGSmwy31VQ/s400/santantonio.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.scrangie.com/2011/03/opi-texas-collection-spring-2011.html&h=611&w=748&sz=126&tbnid=AoLSQk2dFB2IQM:&tbnh=90&tbnw=110&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dopi%2Bsan%2Btan-tonio%26tbm%3Disch%26tbo%3Du&zoom=1&q=opi+san+tan-tonio&usg=__wZEP0MEFHN1hY2ai8JpcA9D85dE=&docid=5he-ooAH35UGJM&sa=X&ei=d48rUo2JCNfH4APruIGYAg&ved=0CEIQ9QEwBA&dur=234

I'm still waiting for the giant fall Vogue to come my way, and hopefully I'll have some fun photos to share from it.

Anita, I love the analysis you did on the woman at Disney. I see plenty of well-put-together women here but I usually just think "oh doesn't she look great." I will have to starting seeing with more intent and then hopefully I'll benefit from it. I remember seeing a very classicly styled AIR with a great haircut in a smart navy and white pantsuit last spring, and thinking she really knew herself, you know? It truly seemed to be an outward manifestation of some inner knowledge. She could have been a total twit for all I know, but I doubt it. She wasn't particularly thin, or beautiful (in the conventional sense), or young, but she was Beautiful.

Lately I have been pondering whether celebrity and fashion redheads, because redheads have always been subjected to so many more opinions and rules about what colors they should wear compared to blonds or brunettes, are more likely to have stylists who apply color theory to their outfits. We've been watching reruns of Smash and Debra Messing is always in the most beautiful colors. Julianne Moore also tends to look great, though she wears too much black IMO. Just a thought.

Anita, If I have a pedicure (done at home or professionally) it seems to really last. My fingernails are rather thin though, and they tend to get a lot of what I'll call "hairline fractures" that are horizontal. My manicure never seem to last. I think it's because my nails bend and it causes the nail polish to crack then chip. But I do love polished nails! I love the long lasting quality of a gel manicure, but it's a pretty rough process. Thankfully, my nails grow quickly so they get back into shape in a decent amount of time.

I am a bit traditional with color choices for my nails. I've never worn the greens, blues, teals, etc. I think my boldest color choice was the yellowy gold I wore on my last cruise. My daughter showed me a really warm chocolate color not too long ago, and I instantly said no. But I just saw a very similar color in In Style magazine, and it's growing on me.

Jane, those pantone colors for spring are interesting. What did you think of that color, second from last row, far right? Doesn't that look like a dusty, light teal shade? Would you call it earth? I just got a sweater in that color at Dress Barn. Sometimes, I'm not 100% certain on a color, but this felt right to me. It felt warm and muted. There were quite a few warm purples and coral/orange tones on that chart too.

Speaking of the purple tones, for the longest time, I couldn't find warm purples, and lately they are everywhere! Good for us!

Anita, I think it takes a really good sense of fashion savvy to pull off sneaks with a dress or skirt. I'm not sure if I could figure that out. I told my husband the other day that I wanted to get a comfortable, at home outfit. (we've been through this one before - I don't wear sweats, yoga pants, etc) I'm having trouble finding something I would wear. I don't do black or gray, which seems to be the main color you find. I also want the pants to be loose, and the top to hit mid hip or a bit lower. I find hoodie style tops with zippers to be uncomfortable. Boy, this is hard to find! Am I fighting a losing battle on this one?

And Margaret, thank you. That was a really awful bunch of pictures I took, but I think it gave the general idea. Mentally, I have most things picked out for the cruise, and when we get closer, I will lay the actual outfits out for better pictures to show the shoes, full outfit, and jewelry together.

I am still debating if I want to wear my red dress the first night. I love that dress! It's just that the first night of a cruise, everyone is showing up in shorts and the like when they go to dinner. I tend to wear dresses regardless, but I thought this might be too dressy overall. I love that I have options though.

Just when we were all looking at what necklace to wear with what neckline, In Style magazine has a layout of what LBD for what figure. After learning a lot from Curt in this area, I think they are pretty accurate. The fun thing is, they talk about what necklace to wear with each, and it seemed to be good choices as well. I loved the purses and shoes too. The shoes and I wouldn't get along though - I can't do the really spiky heels. I have bunions. Yuck!

http://www.wwd.com/fashion-news/fashion-features/pantones-top-colors-for-spring-2014-7107333?src=twitter/share

Sorry, I haven't had time to comment lately. Been reading along and enjoying. Picked up some of the Pantore color cards at Lowe's but no haven't had time to play with them.

Happy almost Autumn to all!

Jane

Is it me, or does this seem like a very AIR palette for spring? I'm loving that dusky turquoise.

Anita, If I have a pedicure (done at home or professionally) it seems to really last. My fingernails are rather thin though, and they tend to get a lot of what I'll call "hairline fractures" that are horizontal. My manicure never seem to last. I think it's because my nails bend and it causes the nail polish to crack then chip. But I do love polished nails! I love the long lasting quality of a gel manicure, but it's a pretty rough process. Thankfully, my nails grow quickly so they get back into shape in a decent amount of time.

I am a bit traditional with color choices for my nails. I've never worn the greens, blues, teals, etc. I think my boldest color choice was the yellowy gold I wore on my last cruise. My daughter showed me a really warm chocolate color not too long ago, and I instantly said no. But I just saw a very similar color in In Style magazine, and it's growing on me.

Jane, those pantone colors for spring are interesting. What did you think of that color, second from last row, far right? Doesn't that look like a dusty, light teal shade? Would you call it earth? I just got a sweater in that color at Dress Barn. Sometimes, I'm not 100% certain on a color, but this felt right to me. It felt warm and muted. There were quite a few warm purples and coral/orange tones on that chart too.

Speaking of the purple tones, for the longest time, I couldn't find warm purples, and lately they are everywhere! Good for us!

Anita, I think it takes a really good sense of fashion savvy to pull off sneaks with a dress or skirt. I'm not sure if I could figure that out. I told my husband the other day that I wanted to get a comfortable, at home outfit. (we've been through this one before - I don't wear sweats, yoga pants, etc) I'm having trouble finding something I would wear. I don't do black or gray, which seems to be the main color you find. I also want the pants to be loose, and the top to hit mid hip or a bit lower. I find hoodie style tops with zippers to be uncomfortable. Boy, this is hard to find! Am I fighting a losing battle on this one?

And Margaret, thank you. That was a really awful bunch of pictures I took, but I think it gave the general idea. Mentally, I have most things picked out for the cruise, and when we get closer, I will lay the actual outfits out for better pictures to show the shoes, full outfit, and jewelry together.

I am still debating if I want to wear my red dress the first night. I love that dress! It's just that the first night of a cruise, everyone is showing up in shorts and the like when they go to dinner. I tend to wear dresses regardless, but I thought this might be too dressy overall. I love that I have options though.

Just when we were all looking at what necklace to wear with what neckline, In Style magazine has a layout of what LBD for what figure. After learning a lot from Curt in this area, I think they are pretty accurate. The fun thing is, they talk about what necklace to wear with each, and it seemed to be good choices as well. I loved the purses and shoes too. The shoes and I wouldn't get along though - I can't do the really spiky heels. I have bunions. Yuck!

Laurie, regarding the "at home wear" I would suggest QVC, searching "loungewear". Carole Hochman and Stan Herman both have some lovely two piece sets that might fit your criteria. I've ordered them before as gifts and all have been very nice, and are not pajamas....they can be worn lounging about the house or out running errands, depending upon the style chosen. I've finally mastered posting my own photos on CC, but cannot seem to copy and paste from another site with any success.

Just a couple items I thought might work:

A230362

A226901

A216824

Good luck!

Edited by KeithsKelly

Also check out the Lands End Starfish collection. The long pant looks comfortable but not like sweats. You could put together a couple outfits for at home that look pulled together (I sense you like that) and yet are still comfy.

I like to look decent when DH comes home (he's always later than me, and leaves in the morning before I'm dressed). We don't get to see each other much during the week so when I change after work its rarely into sweats because I want to look pretty (yeah, ok, a little old fashioned of me but hey, just tryin' to keep the love alive). Of course I spent years working in leotards and sweat pants so it's a nice change of pace for me to have "real" clothes to wear, even just for around the house.

I'm not knocking the sweats and a tshirt look. I had a day like that yesterday, in fact. My feeling is, though, why wear any old tshirt when you can wear a CUTE one. :) Also, now that my 'public" wardrobe is more appropriate in shape and color for me, I'm a lot pickier about everything else I have too, even my pjs and gym clothes.

I think we EARTH girls need to band together and create some exercise wear in EARTH colors. That is an area that needs A LOT of improvement IMHO.

Well the shoes were a bust. :( They squished my pinky toe and made my foot feel like it wanted to cramp into a Charlie horse...never a good feel. And something I don't think will go away... I think I may try on those same shoes at Target just to see how they feel. And see what other styles I can find in the same brand I already have, "Simple."

Laurie...have you checked out J.Jill? Usually they don't have much in the way of EARTH tones but I just looked there for your comfy outfit and found some possibilities. I like the look of these knit pants, which are highly rated, full elastic waist, pull on style. They come in espresso and camel!:

http://www.jjill.com/jjillonline/product/itempage.aspx?BID=410762304&rPFID=14&item=L2007C&h=M&sk=M

718267_CS2?$regular250x$

J.Jill also has a lot of tunic style shirts. I've owned them in the past and the quality was good back then, at least. I found this long V-neck shirt:

http://www.jjill.com/jjillonline/product/itempage.aspx?item=L2051A&h=M&sk=M

718136_CS2?$regular250x$

Really cute detail on the sleeve...and I think Mustard, Vine Leaf, and Espresso are all winner colors. I think Coral Stone is also a possibility. There's a photo with the woman wearing a scarf which really pulls it together if you wanted to leave the house...

Margaret...I totally agree with the Earth athletic wear!! Nearly impossible to find. So frustrating. I have ordered some odd ball Zumba tanks that look pretty good though...but out of all the athletic clothes I own...there is only one shirt I have that is really EARTH.

Had some fun buying some more nail polish today. Got a GREAT nude color. I really like the Rimmel line of nail polish. It isn't expensive ($3.99 at Ulta) and the brush is awesome! It's easy to use and manipulate to put the polish right where you want it to get that nice line at the cuticles. Anyway...the nude color...I think the colors online are HORRIBLE in their representation. Bare Naked appears to be a good warm nude color. What do they call that? Not a French Manicure but an American Manicure? When they use more of a pink nude instead of a tan nude? Looks perfect for that or just for having normal nude nails.

I also got a blue. I don't think it's earth necessarily, but I totally don't care! LOL. I walked all around the store with it and thought it looked great with peach, rust, and olive...so I decided that it was like denim and looked good. We'll see how it looks on...but it's called Heavy Metal...also from Rimmel.

AND...because I couldn't pass up this fun color at $2...I got an non-metallic color called Mud Pie in the Ulta line. This color is a serious bit of mud that has brown with undertones of army green? So weird to say but I think it's a very sophisticated color.

So fun with nails.

Mom has turned me on to Lisa Eldridge and her make up videos. OMG. She has so many to choose from...but I specifically watched the "No Make Up Make Up" video...and I LOVE this look! So I'm going to be working on creating this look. My first purchase toward it...clear mascara. Clear? Crazy! But it is really astonishing the difference it can make!

So I'm working on my look...it's totally fun.

Totally OT, I apologize in advance. This is a TX question, and I realize that I don't know what part of TX you are from and it's a really big state.

I am looking at a cruise that leaves from Houston Bayport Cruise Terminal. I'm thinking it would be fun to come a day or two early and visit the Johnson Space Center and stay in Kemah. My question is, is it easy to get around by taxi, or would it be better to rent a car for 2 days? (Since we won't be in downtown Houston I'm thinking I won't be able to walk out and hail one like I would here.)

BTW I've been enjoying Lisa's videos too. Many good tips there.

Margaret...you absolutely need a car. I used to live right there. DH worked on NASA projects and would go on site at JSC. Kemah can be fun. Wanna start a conversation over in the other forum? I can talk your ear off about that area and in depth since that was where we lived. OMG... if you were going to be there on the right days...I could tell you where to take Zumba so you could see the instructor that inspired me!

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

Thanks, everyone. I'm going to check out QVC, JJill and Land's End. When you get used to shopping at certain places, you completely forget about all the other possibilities out there.

My hubby and I took a walk on Sunday with our dog over at the Erie Canal Park. It is a wonderful place to walk - wide, level pathways, great scenery and great exercise. I wore proper sneakers for that kind of walking, but I wore a pair of jeans, and I really wish I had something different than that to wear. I know I could have been so much more comfortable in a knit of sorts. We walked two miles, by the way. I could have went to Warners and back, which would have been 5 miles total, but the dog got pretty tired. He is in fantastic shape, but the poor guy has little legs, so he was really moving to keep up with us. We had to carry him part of the way back, it was rather comical to the other walkers. I just love that dog!

I do wear basic knit tops at home, by the way. I try to find things that I will call semi fitted. I don't want them baggy, but I don't wanted them too fitted either. It is very hard to find nice V-necks right now, but I got two tops at Old Navy Outlet over the summer for I think $3.99 each? They are great.

I don't know about you guys, but I find the hem length to be an interesting thing too. For a while, I kept having trouble with shirt length. When you are a bit larger on top, it is natural for a shirt to move up a bit. It seemed like I had to buy a shirt that was too big to land mid hip where I wanted it. This year, hems seem much lower. An example would be the Old Navy V-neck I just mentioned. It actually goes down to the bottom of my hip!

Margaret, I don't know about the space center in the Houston area, but we visited Kennedy Space Center in Cape Canaveral a few years back, and absolutely loved it. If I was ever nearby in Houston, I would love to go there myself.

Thanks, everyone. I'm going to check out QVC, JJill and Land's End. When you get used to shopping at certain places, you completely forget about all the other possibilities out there.

My hubby and I took a walk on Sunday with our dog over at the Erie Canal Park. It is a wonderful place to walk - wide, level pathways, great scenery and great exercise. I wore proper sneakers for that kind of walking, but I wore a pair of jeans, and I really wish I had something different than that to wear. I know I could have been so much more comfortable in a knit of sorts. We walked two miles, by the way. I could have went to Warners and back, which would have been 5 miles total, but the dog got pretty tired. He is in fantastic shape, but the poor guy has little legs, so he was really moving to keep up with us. We had to carry him part of the way back, it was rather comical to the other walkers. I just love that dog!

I do wear basic knit tops at home, by the way. I try to find things that I will call semi fitted. I don't want them baggy, but I don't wanted them too fitted either. It is very hard to find nice V-necks right now, but I got two tops at Old Navy Outlet over the summer for I think $3.99 each? They are great.

I don't know about you guys, but I find the hem length to be an interesting thing too. For a while, I kept having trouble with shirt length. When you are a bit larger on top, it is natural for a shirt to move up a bit. It seemed like I had to buy a shirt that was too big to land mid hip where I wanted it. This year, hems seem much lower. An example would be the Old Navy V-neck I just mentioned. It actually goes down to the bottom of my hip!

Margaret, I don't know about the space center in the Houston area, but we visited Kennedy Space Center in Cape Canaveral a few years back, and absolutely loved it. If I was ever nearby in Houston, I would love to go there myself.

Laurie,

Check Chicos for V-neck knit tops. I have a few that are generous in the bust and not too short (or too long). Not sure what they currently have in the store. Mine are 3/4 sleeve and are comfy most of the year for lounging at home or wearing out with even a casual skirt. I'm sure I got them on the clearance/sale rack.

One other hint...try Old Navy "Tamis" for tank-like knits to layer. They are bust and bra-friendly. I wear a Med in them and I'm usually like a 12-14 in fitted shirts (for the bust). Usually < $10. Think I paid $8.50.

Jane

Edited by JaneStarr

We have a Chico's outlet in our local mall, so I will have to stop in and see what they have. Our local mall is Destiny USA, and it's a workout just to shop there lately. It has gotten too big, if you know what I mean.

Land's End was a nice surprise, in that they have some semi fitted items, so I don't have to feel self conscious about the legs being too snug. The pricing was very good. They also carry colors other than black and gray. They navy are a good option, and they have a beige tone that looks rather earthy. I do stay away from lighter colored bottoms though. They don't do me any favors.

Now, to check out some of these other places!

We have a Chico's outlet in our local mall, so I will have to stop in and see what they have. Our local mall is Destiny USA, and it's a workout just to shop there lately. It has gotten too big, if you know what I mean.

Land's End was a nice surprise, in that they have some semi fitted items, so I don't have to feel self conscious about the legs being too snug. The pricing was very good. They also carry colors other than black and gray. They navy are a good option, and they have a beige tone that looks rather earthy. I do stay away from lighter colored bottoms though. They don't do me any favors.

Now, to check out some of these other places!

Here's a link to what looks like the current version of my Chico's v-neck shirts.

http://www.chicos.com/store/browse/product.jsp?maxRec=56&pageId=1&productId=570056375&viewAll=true&prd=Chloe+Tee&subCatId=cat3660015&color=&fromSearch=&inSeam=&posId=31&catId=cat40002&cat=Tops+Tees++Tanks&onSale=&colorFamily=&maxPg=1&size=

They probably have previous colors at the outlet. I really like the burnt orange, largo teal & Cocoa bean. Will have to looks for those to hit the clearance racks :)

Jane

Here's a link to what looks like the current version of my Chico's v-neck shirts.

http://www.chicos.com/store/browse/product.jsp?maxRec=56&pageId=1&productId=570056375&viewAll=true&prd=Chloe+Tee&subCatId=cat3660015&color=&fromSearch=&inSeam=&posId=31&catId=cat40002&cat=Tops+Tees++Tanks&onSale=&colorFamily=&maxPg=1&size=

They probably have previous colors at the outlet. I really like the burnt orange, largo teal & Cocoa bean. Will have to looks for those to hit the clearance racks :)

Jane

That's a cute shirt, I like the orange too.

For some reason after all this time, I see that you are from CT. I was up in your neck of the woods this summer doing college visits with my goddaughter, it was a beautiful drive.

Edited by MJC
add info