All things EARTH...

I figured out years ago that I can't wear a high neckline because I'll adjust it constantly... just constantly pulling on the fabric to get it away from my neck.

For me it's long sleeves... I'm always shoving them up my arms. A good 3/4 sleeve is my best friend!

I took some photos of me in my new clothes...unfortunately, the laptops in the house that have the card readers are temperamental these days and aren't the ones in normal use. So it takes a bit of work to get photos off my cameras...I'll get to it soon and share my sweet finds.

Again...unfortunately...I'm taking about today's patterns...not historical patterns *sigh*

So I just finished reading a book that I have to recommend to everyone. I think it would be a great traveling book because of the way it is written. It is a non-fiction memoir of one of my favorite historical romance authors, Eloisa James. For reasons you read about in the book, she and her family of DH, DS (a high school Freshman), and DD10 take off on a sabbatical of sorts and live in Paris for one year. This book is a sort of essay enhanced collection of her Facebook posting of the time. Each chapter begins and may have what I am calling a more thoughtful essay writing with numerous shorter and longer captures of what her life in Paris was like over the course of that year. She talks about everything from the schools for the kids, food, fashion, city life, etc etc. Her husband is Italian...her children speak Italian therefore and are enrolled in an Italian speaking school in Paris. I loved this book. At the end, she does list out various shops, restaurants, bakeries, chocolatiers, museums, etc for the benefit of anyone who wants to visit the various places she did and talks about throughout the book. Because of the nature of the book, it's easy to pick up and put down, which would make it the perfect companion for a traveling person. Also, since the subject matter relates to travel...it reminds the reader to be fully present in their travels and enjoy their moments, whether that IS a quiet reading and relaxing moment or an admiring of museum or fully enjoying their meal kind of moment.

The title is "Paris In Love" by Eloisa James.

Margaret, if you want to email me to talk more specifically about your travels through Atlanta area...use ccanitalatte@gmail.com. If you are traveling down I-75, this is extremely convenient for me and I can figure out an easy locale for us all to meet for a coffee/snack/meal/leg stretch, if the timing can work out for that.

One thing I find very interesting is that I always thought it was just me that had fit problems. With knits and stretch added to pants and jeans, it does make the problem less dominant. However, if I put on a fitted dress or formal wear, I usually have no choice but to make alterations. I was fidgeting my last cruise because my formal dress needed to be taken in at the shoulders. I decided when I got back that I had to get that fixed, and I did. Just trying it on after was such a relaxed feeling.

I grew up sewing, as did my 3 older sisters. I'm really not interested in that right now, for a number of reasons. First, I am not that close to a fabric store, and the one that is sort of close, caters to crafts. There are aisles of calico and cotton prints. Secondly, today's fabrics and styles are best suited for a serger style machine, and I don't have one of those. I have been thinking though that this could be a good hobby for me. Oh, and because I have so much trouble with fit, I think I would definitely want a mannequin that I could set to my measurements!

3/4 sleeves are great. They are just right for me. I think Jane stated a page or two back that sleeves that stop just before the elbow were not good choices, and I have to say that the last thing I need to do is add more dimension on the upper part of my body. A shorter sleeve or 3/4 sleeve is the best thing for me. Long sleeves I wear, but they tend to be too long on me, almost always.

It's the same with necklines, in that if there is just an expanse across the chest area, it does me no favors. Break it up with a v neck or scoop neck, then I'm good!

Anita, I've been thinking a lot about different things to read. That might be a good choice for me, for something different. I'm rather glued to old classics, such as Jayne Eyre, Pride and Prejudice, etc. For a change of pace, I just finished up all the Harry Potter books, and those were fun.

I went to see Austenland, has anyone seen it? Or read the book? I was wishing I could stay and watch it through a second time, just to get a "Jane" fix. One of the actors was in a recent BBC version of Northanger Abbey, so I had to get that from Netflix and I watched it over the weekend. I have to say I was pleasantly surprised, because it's not one of my favorite Austen books.

Eloisa James -- like her too! Helen Fielding has a new Bridget Jones book coming out this month, and the next Stephanie Plum will be out in November, so we have a lot to look forward to.

Where have I been? I haven't even heard of Austenland? I'll have to look that up!

I'm still on the wait list for the 19 Plum novel. LOL. I think I just hit the double digits on that list!

I bought a pair of skinny jeans today. *gasp* I'll have to take a photo and see if I keep them, BUT...I've been feeling dated in my silhouette lately and wanting to have that skinnier look. Target carries a brand called dENiZEN by Levis. Mid-rise. Lot of stretch and a nice dark wash. They're on that typical Target few dollars off sale right now for $24.99. The nice thing is that they are advertised as "skinny curvy"...enough room for my junk. :D The dark color is perfect for matching with each and every EARTH color...

http://www.target.com/p/women-s-denizen-from-the-levis-brand-essential-stretch-skinny-jean-curvy-fit-limo/-/A-14657269#prodSlot=large_1_3

Thanks for the titles Margaret! I'm always looking for new books to read. Lately, I've been trying to read biography like historical fiction. I've been all caught up in the English royalty. I read through the Phillipa Gregory books. I watched "The Tudors" on Netflix...Oh my...that was racy. LOL.

I've been keeping up with my nails. For once, I'm hoping to get through the winter without my cuticles cracking so badly from dryness, etc. Anyway, I'm totally in love with the BRUSHES that are used on the Rimmel products. I tried another one of my new colors last night. It's a nude color called "Bare Naked." It's not too pink but definitely flesh toned. I've been staring at my hands trying to place what it looks like and it hit me this morning...I have bride hands! LOL. When you want your nails to look groomed and pretty but not really call attention to them or have any real color on them. That's Bare Naked. I think it's handy to have these colors around so I'm sharing. This is a good one for EARTH for sure...maybe even FIRE. We'll see when Mom visits me next month.

Here's a funny. When I was shopping with the ladies in that consignment shop, one of the ladies asked me if I had had my colors done...and did I know what that was? Because everything that I was trying on was such a good color for me. LOL. I thought that was very funny.

Thanks for the titles Margaret! I'm always looking for new books to read. Lately, I've been trying to read biography like historical fiction. I've been all caught up in the English royalty. I read through the Phillipa Gregory books. I watched "The Tudors" on Netflix...Oh my...that was racy. LOL.

I loved The Tudors too, and have read all of Phillipa Gregory's books, I think. Just bought Red Queen/White Queen for my goddaughter. DH and I just started watching Game of Thrones and I hated the pilot, but now I've gotten totally sucked in.

There's not a romance angle, but Mary Renault wrote some historical fiction about Alexander the Great that is very well written.

Here's a funny. When I was shopping with the ladies in that consignment shop, one of the ladies asked me if I had had my colors done...and did I know what that was? Because everything that I was trying on was such a good color for me. LOL. I thought that was very funny.

One of the things I've noticed about transitioning my wardrobe to EARTH is that when I wear EARTH colors, people tell me I look nice. When I wear something else they usually comment about liking the outfit, as in "cute dress."

It's been hard to dress this week because it's been in the low 80s and my college still has the heat on. :eek: I'm in New Jersey today and the fall color is coming out. :)

I've been thinking about plaid pants for work:

CountryPlaid.jpg

Brown and pink, but most of the pinks I'm seeing are AIR, I think:

PinkBrown.jpg

Purple and black -- again, what's up with that?

PurpleBlack.jpg

I like the two dresses on the right:

a>

BasslerPurple.jpg

Believe it or not, in spite of the Vogue spreads being heavy on black and white, I did pull some pictures which I have to resize before I can post. More to come!

Edited by MJC
fix photo

I spent the afternoon shopping at Goodwill today. I need some nicer clothes. Especially for cooler weather. That's one thing I never really shopped for while losing weight. While I don't love the atmosphere of the Goodwill shopping experience necessarily...I do like the way the clothes are laid out. I find it very easy to go to the type of clothing I'm looking for...go to the colors that work...see if there is anything in my size. If I am attracted to the fabric, I will generally try things on, because that is the only real way to learn if the style works.

I scored big today. I got 6 skirts and 8 blouses. Well, one blouse is more of a casual knit shirt. There have been times when I haven't been able to find a thing...so I was pretty excited to find so much.

I did a bit of playing already, while hanging things up in my closet to see how well thing matched together with what I already owned. This is the beauty of the small wardrobe. I know I've mentioned a couple times how I don't have much. Prior to my splurge today...I really only had one skirt that fit me. I do have 2 others that should fit me if I'm not bloated...but they are more spring/summer like skirts. Most of the skirts I bought today are decided darker and more appropriate for autumn/winter.

And I think I shared how I finally bought a shirt I would call a blouse before...so that is something that was entirely missing from my wardrobe.

I feel like I can definitely mix and match my way through the cooler season. I know of so many different things/events where I will want to be dressed nicer than my daily yoga pant, tank, hoodie type outfit. I must admit that I have a hard time spending this money on myself for clothes like this because it is so rare that I wear them. But then, when I want to have something nicer, it's pretty upsetting to have nothing.

So I'm happy. Goodwill has flat pricing...so each skirt and blouse was under $5 and two were 50% off because they had been in the store for so long. I found some Christmas window candle lights that I've been wanting also (for $1.21 each!!!...you know the kind that look like 3 candles in your window?)...so I spent less than $80 today on my big splurge.

I"ll be randomly posting pics as I experiment with different outfits with my new finds. Some of the skirts are a little big? But they work okay...I plan on working on my alteration skills after I get my body back to where I want it to be. I really like the fabrics that I bought today...and after spending some more time in the fabric store...I realize that the cost of fabric isn't insignificant...to get a skirt's worth of fabric for under $5 would be very difficult...so that was my main priority today...even if the fit wasn't the greatest...if the general style worked and I liked the fabric...and I could picture multiple outfits, then it was a good buy.

On that note, Laurie...I do have a serger machine. Mom gave it to me for Christmas when I was pregnant with DS. I was really wanting one because I envisioned making more of his clothes than I did. It's a great machine. The thing about sergers is that they are known for being difficult to thread, but Mom got me one that is actually relatively easy to thread. It does help to make finished garments look more professional IMO...I haven't truly learned all there is to know about the different stitches this machine is capable of doing but I am hoping to work on this. It's hard when we have kept moving and if we lived in a temporary place where we didn't unpack everything or had things in storage. My sewing equipment was generally something that stayed packed in such situations. I should have time here though.

Generally, when I think of plaid, I think of yummy and cosy flannel shirts? Like Men's shirts though. I don't personally own them. Or I think of fleece? I don't know about tweed fabrics. I do have that skirt that I picked up last year from Goodwill (it doesn't fit me right now :rolleyes:) but I didn't wear it much when I could because the things I thought would go with it didn't really go. So it was/is kind of a loner.

Do you watch Project Runway? They have had some plaid pants on the show this season. They were more funky in style than work-like to me. I think my legs are too bulky for plaid at this time. I like the pencil skirt with the two different fabrics. That seems like a fun effect that would also be quite slimming.

Whenever I see pink with brown...it's usually air. I think these are too.

I LOVE the jacket and mini skirt outfit. I don't think it's EARTH...but if it were in an EARTH color? OH my!! Except...I wouldn't want the upper pockets on the jacket. At least...not as patch pockets. Maybe like a man's suit so that I could have a pocket square showing...but generally pockets near the girls don't flatter as much. I'd have to try it on to see...but I really like that look a lot.

Those two right dresses are pretty and I could see you in them. But not me.

I really like "Goodwilling" as I call it. We occasionally go to Indianapolis (which is much bigger than our city) and spend the day "Goodwillling". We will go to 5-6 of them in nicer areas of the city. Sometimes we come back with very little and other times with quite a bit :) I've Goodwilled for years. Although, in the last few years it has become much more popular and I find that the there aren't many of the really goods finds as in years before. I think I also kind of just enjoy the search and challenge of finding something really nice there too! I buy most of my books there too.

On a totally separate note, I'm sure you have noticed this too but, why are so many models so sickly thin? Why do people find that so attractive? In the photos above, there are a couple of the models with just stick legs :eek: why do we as a society generally think that being that thin is so desirable??? I just don't get it.

Watching America's Next Top Model is one of my guilty pleasures. I only found it during this past year but I think I have seen every episode of every season. The interesting thing about models is that they really are the accessory to the clothing. Their job is not to look so great so much as it is to make the clothes look great...in looking at a model advertising clothes...the clothes, not the model is what should grab your attention. This is one reason why they are so thin and basically featureless...they are the equivalent of living hangers.

Has anyone else seen the commercials for the new line of clothing of that one celebrity woman with the accent at KMart? Oh, what is her name...she is saying "No straight lines..." and she adds bumps to the chest and butt of the drawings of the designers? I LOVE this commercial. She says, "Work what you've got." And it makes me want to look at her clothing just BECAUSE she says that.

EARTH nail polish enthusiasts!!! Check out OPI's new line...the San Francisco collection.

http://www.ulta.com/ulta/browse/productDetail.jsp?productId=xlsImpprod5770359

I briefly saw it at my local Kroger...as crazy as that is...and it looks FABULOUS. Of course, I am attracted to all the SFO related names...I was born and raised in the Bay Area and will always have a special place in my heart for that area of the world. Anyway, I'm especially curious to see if the blue is EARTH...it's called "Incognito in Sausalito." And of course, the rust and wine colors are beautiful...the rust is a definite hit, not sure about the wine. I just missed the sale at ULTA...oh well...I think I'm going to have to splurge on some of these colors.

Sophia Vergara, OMG I love her. She is not afraid to be curvy, and she always does her own glamorous thing. What a great role model! She seems like she would always be fun to have around, very joyful.

Here is another one of my favorite ladies, rockin' her singular style at 73:

http://www.google.com/imgres?sa=X&biw=1366&bih=587&tbm=isch&tbnid=_oEXaC9Yde6yXM:&imgrefurl=http://tinaturnerblog.com/tag/wedding/&docid=9tyA6qUoJ2v1dM&imgurl=http://tinaturnerblog.files.wordpress.com/2013/07/tina-turner-and-erwin-bach.jpg%253Fw%253D500%2526h%253D672&w=500&h=672&ei=a0tYUr27Hu7-4AOIl4DAAw&zoom=1&iact=rc&dur=171&page=1&tbnh=140&tbnw=106&start=0&ndsp=24&ved=1t:429,r:3,s:0,i:97&tx=58&ty=78

Hello everyone! I've been away from this thread for a bit...it's been a long week, with a very bad upper respiratory infection. I can't remember the last time I was this sick! No fun at all.

I too have seen the Sophia Vergara commercials, and it makes me smile. Yes, we come in all shapes and sizes, and that's okay! She is absolutely right.

I haven't shopped at too many goodwill stores around here. I try, but I always leave empty handed. I never find anything even close to what I would wear. I often see some items that have no business being for sale.

There is a very large Salvation Army store not too far from me that I have never shopped in. Maybe they have a better selection?

My guilty pleasure to watch is "Say Yes to the Dress". Randy is someone who knows how to remind a woman of her good features. As you have said, there is so much focus on the bad. He is quick to remind every bride-to-be that they are beautiful, and you can accentuate the good and balance your body out with the right dress. I strongly believe that if you feel confident about what you are wearing, the beauty shows through.

I am thinking about my manicure for my cruise in November. I was thinking about a rust color, but I like to think about my outfits a bit when picking nail polish. I'm bringing a chocolate brown dress, a rust/wine colored dress for formal night, and the first night? Still up in the air, but it looks more and more like the red dress. I am not sure I want the rust with the red dress, and formal night dress can be tricky, unless I have it with me when I pick my nail polish!

Any suggestions? Just so that you know, I'm not a blue or green person. I wear mostly more traditional colors, but I wore a yellowy gold on the last cruise, and I've contemplated brown a few times.

Joby, I agree with you. I really don't find the stick figures all that attractive. They certainly don't look healthy at all. Every so often, "America's Next Top Model" has a "plus" sized model. They usually wear around a size 8, which I always considered skinny!

Laurie...the new OPI rust color is called First Date at the Golden Gate. I swear it was rust in person, not red, but it looks red on the OPI site. Check it out, that might be a good color for your cruise. I think there is a definite red undertone to this rust so it might look fabulous with your red dress and why it is photographing more red. The actual Golden Gate is an orange red rust kind of color.

http://www.opi.com/

I haven't shopped at too many goodwill stores around here. I try, but I always leave empty handed. I never find anything even close to what I would wear. I often see some items that have no business being for sale.

There is a very large Salvation Army store not too far from me that I have never shopped in. Maybe they have a better selection?

The possibility of a find at Goodwill or Salvation Army is directly related to the surrounding area that may be donating to that store. I went to one Goodwill in this area and I didn't see much of anything outside of the typical inexpensive brands that are at WalMart, Target, etc...so I saw a lot of Merona, Sonoma, White Stag, etc. I went to a different Goodwill and I found Banana Republic, Chicos, Ann Loft, and many other designer names, so now I go to that Goodwill when looking for clothing. The only way to know is to go into the store and try to get a feel for what is typically donated there.

The finds that I found aren't necessarily the best style. I've made a point of wearing them and not just letting them hang in my closet...and I've started playing with the way they are and fit. Like I said...I'm hoping to work on my alterations skills. For example, one shirt has a beautiful split flutter sleeve. It's a button down shirt with a standard collar. But to my eye, the collar and the flutter sleeve don't really go together? I tucked the collar under and thought it was way cuter. So now I'm going to research different collar/neckline ideas and see if I can change it to make it more me.

Here's a question...

Does anyone here successfully wear the faux wrap look? One of the shirts that I bought at Goodwill is that look. It's very flattering...sort of...lol...cap sleeve is nice...a good angle above the bustline...there is sheering at the A-line point under the bustline and there isn't too much fullness below so that the shirt is skimming over the curves without looking maternity...but the neckline GAPES...or has GAPS...whichever way you want to say...it's like I have to put a safety pin there in order to keep the shirt together. I have a very good bra on...and I know the shirt is a bit on the big side. The label with the size was removed so I don't know the size of the shirt. I could wear a cami underneath...but I'm wondering...does anyone know the secret of making the wrap parts stay put without gadgets and gizmos? What is the fit secret. I need to know so that I can make the right alterations...

Anita, I'm looking forward to pix of your thrift finds. We used to have the best Salvation Army store in our hood until the movie studio moved in and now it's so picked over, nothing fun to find.

I always have fit problems with wrap tops, but clothing tape is a girl's best friend for gaping. I sometimes think they should sell them by bra size, since they have to fit so closely.

So, here are some of my photo picks from last month's Vogue. I have to admit my choices are rather personal this time, so I apologize if they don't apply broadly.

First, how happy am I that pencil skirts are back? If this outfit had pointy-toed pumps and a Chanel quilt bag I would think it was 1985, even the makeup is spot on:

MarcJacobs.jpg

More EARTH color blocking:

Prada.jpg

Beautiful gold brocade:

VeraWang.jpg

Not a fan of turtlenecks, but I love the 1940s style of this outfit:

BottVeneta.jpg

Do I have a tan shirtdress that stays in the closet because it's boring? Would I wear it more if I had these fab shoes?

JimmyChoo.jpg

We have to end with a gown, and how can we not love Valentino:

Valentino.jpg

Coats and accessorizing them are a big part of fashion here. I have a bin of gloves and scarves to change up my look, and I like to add a big broach on the collar.

Camel, like black, is a safe choice, but I like how sassy this is styled:

MaxMara.jpg

I have a coat this color that I am hoping to fit into by winter. I like that it is unusual for the city, even though I need to have it cleaned at least once a month. With winter white being so popular this year, maybe I won't stand out so much this season! I love how the accessories really add polish and style:

Champagne.jpg

This is just a luscious color, and looks really cozy:

Green.jpg

Definitely a city coat, what with the sparkle at the bottom:

Vuitton.jpg

As the black moto jacket makes its punk reappearance, I like seeing it softened with a scarf for us more conservative folks. Believe it or not, I have one of these in the back of the closet as well, though it's not nearly as interesting as this one (I wish it weren't black):

leather.jpg

Margaret, I always find the selection of coats interesting. Unless we have a big budget, so much of what is in stores is your typical double breasted coat, which isn't a great look for me. If you find leather and the like, it's black quite frequently. I did find a cute, inexpensive leather look alike at Dress Barn not too long ago, and it's great for fall. It is very casual though, so I can't wear it everywhere.

Anita, I've had a few faux wrap shirts and dresses. I find them easy to wear, as long as the fit is right. Overall, better a bit big than small, because you usually have a belt or tie at the waist which allows you to fine tune the fit. I think they are a great look when you are a bit fuller in the chest.

I'm going to look at that Opi nail polish too. I'm getting pretty excited about our little getaway. After having been sick for the last 10 days, I just want to get better and back to normal. I am only about a month away now.

I decided to wear a different necklace with the red dress. Since the necklace is still in stores, I found a link:

http://www.bonton.com/shop/brands/relativity/relativity-18-goldtone-filigree-frontal-necklace_664638.html

As a reminder, here is the dress:

IMG_1365.jpg

It is still not set in stone that I'm bringing the red dress, but I think so!

Love it love it love it. You should totally bring it, it's perfect for you in every possible way.

I have a terrible time buying coats. I don't buy black, and I look terrible in anything double-breasted or with a belt. It's very limiting.

IMO a black coat is just as difficult as a white one if it's slushy, in terms of staying clean. Two words: bus splatter.

broach = brooch. Yah, I'm an English teacher. :)