All things EARTH...

Thanks, Anita. I'm excited because I love the autumn colors so this is always my favorite time to shop. Guess I'll be doing some of that soon. Actually, this weekend to get ready for the cruise. Hope I can keep in mind warm and muted. Not sure I completely understand the difference between warm and bright and warm and muted but I'll try... any advice to keep in mind about what exactly is muted?

Hi all,

I am a new Earth girl, and CJW said that he isn't a fan of my current hair color (too cool). I have an appointment to get my hair cut, colored and highlighted next Saturday, so I have a week to figure out what I should do. I'm hoping I can figure out how to attach a picture here and would love anyone's suggestions for a fabulous earth hair color for me and any pictures that would help me to show the stylist what I want. Also... any ideas for a haircut? Bangs? My hair is naturally wavy (I straightened it before this picture) and if treated right can be bordering on having loose curls. Currently it's really heavy and when left to it's natural wavy form, it tends to create "triangle head" which I dislike.

If I don't post the pictures correctly, please help me figure out how to do it. I've never really posted many pictures on here, so I need any help I can get.

Thanks for your ideas and support as I make the transition from "hmm this is an interesting color, let's try it" to "ooh this is the RIGHT color for me".

023-1.jpg

ChollaChick,

Where are you in AZ? Do you have a hairstylist that you currently like?

CJW gave me the exact formula for my hair color! Did you ask him?

Are you wanting to go red, brown, blonde? Let us know.

Hi there,

I'm in Goodyear (western suburb of Phoenix). Are you in the Phoenix area??? I have a stylist that I THINK I like, but she tends to put me into colors which seem wrong.

I asked CJW and he said he wasn't a fan of my current color which has too many violet/magenta tones in it. He said that I should stick to warm and orange/red undertones... warm auburn browns, warm golden brown, deep chestnut brown, deep strawberry blonde, warm copper, rich golden reds or any combination. So I'm still not sure what I should do.

I have been red for a long time but am ready for a change if one would look better on me. My natural hair color is dark brown (with a LOT of gray in it). Or at least I think that's still my natural haircolor... it was dark brown as a child at least. I've been coloring for a good long time. At this point in my life I'm open to just about anything. I really need a good change that makes me look (and feel) fabulous (and sexy). :)

I was very curious about the dress with the brown in the print...it's a great fabric for travel, but it is too big for me now...it isn't worth altering...that dress is headed for the "to be turned into a skirt pile" because the brown/black print goes very well with a certain sweater I own and all my brown shirts.

Otherwise. Bye bye black. I won't miss you.

When I looked at this set of I thought that the one with a bit of brown in it was the only one that kinda worked.

Kinda is not the same as fabulous, though, is it?

I need to get over my New York obsession with black! Thanks, Anita for the inspiration.

I asked CJW and he said he wasn't a fan of my current color which has too many violet/magenta tones in it. He said that I should stick to warm and orange/red undertones... warm auburn browns, warm golden brown, deep chestnut brown, deep strawberry blonde, warm copper, rich golden reds or any combination. So I'm still not sure what I should do.

I have been red for a long time but am ready for a change if one would look better on me. My natural hair color is dark brown (with a LOT of gray in it). Or at least I think that's still my natural haircolor... it was dark brown as a child at least. I've been coloring for a good long time.

This could be my story, ChollaChick. I moved to a warmer, more golden, less dark auburn a couple years ago after I saw my hair in the flourescent lights at work and it looked magenta! And I love what it does for my skin. It took a few tries to find the right one, but it's totally worth a little experimentation. If you don't find the right one this month, you only have a month to wait to change it!

The difficulty with the deep red haircolors is that the red dyes are the most fragile and fade first, leaving the purples behind. If you switch to a more golden red, then the lighter gold tones will be left rather than the cool (not Earth!) purples. This has been my experience. I get my hair colored every four weeks because my natural color is dark brown but I have a lot of white coming in. Not gray, white.

This month for the first time I had chestnut lowlights put in. For me it was positive change because my hair is still mostly dark in the back, and it looks more natural to have the auburn and the brown blended on the top and front.

I once read that if you need more makeup to look healthy with a new color, you have the wrong hair color. I think this is a good benchmark.

Good Luck!

...that dress is headed for the "to be turned into a skirt pile" because the brown/black print goes very well with a certain sweater I own and all my brown shirts.

Anita, I don't want you to think I was dissing your "new" skirt. I should have read more carefully. I actually have a skirt that looks very similar.

I don't want to intrude on your posts, I just like to lurk and I'd like to participate. It's lonely being an Earth in New York.

Margaret,

Please participate and join in. I'm new here and would love all the ideas and advice I can get. I am glad I'm not alone in the magenta hair club... lol. I think I may go for a mahogany or deep chestnut brown with some red or caramel highlights thrown in. What do you think? What I'd like is something that kind of "energizes" my skin. It tends to look pretty "blah" lately and could use some pizzazz. Any advice on the cut? I kind of like the length but it's in desperate need of a trim. I last got it cut in January and it was a chin length bob. Since then life has kind of taken over and I just didn't get it cut... now it needs it. Badly. But I don't know what I want...

Edited by ChollaChick

Not sure I completely understand the difference between warm and bright and warm and muted but I'll try... any advice to keep in mind about what exactly is muted?

Muted and clear are easier to see the further toward muted or clear the color goes. For example, I don't think you will EVER find a CLEAR RUST color...what we call rust is really just a muted orange color.

So, in many respects, when you look for a muted color, you are looking for a color that is a variation of what you might think of as a primary or secondary color. It's like the color has to have a modifier in order to describe it properly...like green...EARTH greens become army green, olive green, forest green, avocado green, baby poop green...there seems to be a more descriptive word that you feel HAS to be used to properly convey the essence of the color you are seeing.

With clear colors, I find that I can tend to describe the colors more with other colors...green becomes...bright green...yellow green...blue-green...and that will pretty much describe all the clear greens. You COULD get more descriptive and say granny apple green...BUT...you don't have to, you COULD just use the words bright yellow-green...BUT any muted green...if you don't have another point of reference to describe the color, (avocado)...it can feel that someone would definitely not be picturing the right green if just said yellow-green.

So...if you are looking at a color...and feel that you need a more descriptive word in addition to just naming the colors to describe the color...then you are likely looking at a more muted color.

This isn't always true, of course. When a color gets closer to that line between clear and muted, this doesn't work as well necessarily. Like the coral shirt that I got from Mom...I feel fine calling that a coral shirt. But then Mom thought it was clear when she purchased it. The color does have a hint of shadow in it...that hint of shadow, which indicated that brown or gray was added to the color to "tone it down"...this is what you are looking for.

These closer to the FIRE/EARTH borderline colors are the colors that you may need to identify by taking a photo of yourself. Learn what you look like when you are oversaturated by a clear color...the EARTH gray...so that you can understand what you see when you take a picture.

Thanks for your ideas and support as I make the transition from "hmm this is an interesting color, let's try it" to "ooh this is the RIGHT color for me".

If Curt gave you names of colors, just go with whatever feels good to you from those names. I consulted with Curt on what to do about my own hair, which was long and LOOKED like it was a color job that grew out. In truth, my hair was sun bleached and then, with the changing seasons, the new growth wasn't. So the long part was blondish and from root to chin was dark. He helped me blend it all.

I would think that it may be a multi-step process to get to where you may ultimately want to be. I don't know...but it seems to me that you want a person knowledgeable in color correction to help you make the transition out of what you have. A good color consultant could probably offer you the best advice on what would look the best as you make a transition. KWIM?

Be sure and share a photo when you get it done!

When I looked at this set of I thought that the one with a bit of brown in it was the only one that kinda worked.

Kinda is not the same as fabulous, though, is it?

I need to get over my New York obsession with black! Thanks, Anita for the inspiration.

I can't remember what movie I was watching. I think the setting was New York. I remember looking at the clothing and thinking to myself that city living is what brought black into popularity in the first place. Nearly everyone in the movie dressed in black.

If I remember my history right, black was rarely used for fashion. It was used for mourning. Part of the transition of black into fashion resulted from the dirt that would accumulate in the cities, like London, where it would it became such a practical color to wear because it would hide the inevitable stains the best and garments of black would last longer for this reason.

So city living and black and something that would be a very hard habit to break. And for practical reasons, you actually need to keep some black in your wardrobe until you can find great chocolate browns. And when you can find those chocolate browns, buy in BULK! LOL.

Anita, I don't want you to think I was dissing your "new" skirt. I should have read more carefully. I actually have a skirt that looks very similar.

I don't want to intrude on your posts, I just like to lurk and I'd like to participate. It's lonely being an Earth in New York.

I am SO not offended. Sounds like you worried about offending me with your comment...don't. I probably wouldn't buy a skirt out of this fabric (if I had other choices), but since I sew and already have it, and I can make outfits out of it...I'll keep it. Honestly though, I know it'll have to go in the future because I don't love wearing it with brown shoes. I have shoe issues and believe it or not, I don't own great black shoes (I don't know that many shoes period) and I'm not sure I want to buy black shoes KWIM? So we'll see what happens.

Hi there,

I'm in Goodyear (western suburb of Phoenix). Are you in the Phoenix area??? I have a stylist that I THINK I like, but she tends to put me into colors which seem wrong.

I have been red for a long time but am ready for a change if one would look better on me. My natural hair color is dark brown (with a LOT of gray in it). Or at least I think that's still my natural haircolor... it was dark brown as a child at least. I've been coloring for a good long time. At this point in my life I'm open to just about anything. I really need a good change that makes me look (and feel) fabulous (and sexy). :)

Scottsdale.

I go to the Etch Salon in Kierland Commons. To Ryan. When I consulted with Ryan about changing my hair color and gave him the names that CJW gave me, his response was... "you realize that will be warm, warm, warm." Well, I said.... "yes, yes, yes... that's what I want."

So, I am doing Red. CJW gave me Redken Shades names: Golden Apricot and Cayenne in a ratio. The Etch Salon has stopped using Redken and uses only Wella, but Ryan is using the same shades only with different labels, of course.

I wonder what the difference is between FIRE and EARTH hair? I know that both will be warm... but... I think there is Red in every shade of color that CJW recommends for FIRE. BUt, I don't know if that's the case for EARTH ladies.

Changing my hair was the first step to making me feel like a whole new person. Such fun for you to be able to know exactly what you should do and not leave the color up to chance. Yeah.

Wow Pam, we are almost neighbors. Maybe if Anita comes out to visit we can all get together for dinner some evening. I am leaning towards doing my hair chestnut or mahogany brown with some red and caramel highlights woven in. I think that might be what CJW was directing me to. Still in the red family but just not red... in my ideal world I would be a natural red-head, but it just didn't happen this go-around. Maybe next time. But until then, I'll try for some subtle red tones like I had as a child. And tomorrow I'm going shopping at Ross for Fall dresses... maybe there are some good browns or greens I can wear. :) Wish me luck.

Wow Pam, we are almost neighbors. Maybe if Anita comes out to visit we can all get together for dinner some evening. I am leaning towards doing my hair chestnut or mahogany brown with some red and caramel highlights woven in. I think that might be what CJW was directing me to. Still in the red family but just not red... in my ideal world I would be a natural red-head, but it just didn't happen this go-around. Maybe next time. But until then, I'll try for some subtle red tones like I had as a child. And tomorrow I'm going shopping at Ross for Fall dresses... maybe there are some good browns or greens I can wear. :) Wish me luck.

Get together would be fun! Your hair color sounds beautiful. I think that will look very rich.

Do you have a Kohl's in your area? The green dress that I recently bought was from Kohl's. Apt 9 brand. I know that is a good green. Beware the browns...you want to stick with golden browns...stay away from mousy browns...that is, any brown that has that gray cast to it?...like a taupe? Report on your findings!

Barbara, glad that you finally have an answer and can concentrate on your EARTHY self. Did you order the cards from CJW? They are really helpful to me. I carry them everywhere!

I'm anxious to see how this changes the way you shop and look. Are you excited?

Anita will be a great hostess to you on this interesting EARTH thread!

I did order the color cards. Can't wait to get them. Love CJW he seriously has an eye and, most importantly, a plan for how to make people look and feel their best. I went shopping today with an eye out for warm and muted but didn't find anything. Tomorrow I will try a different store. This is so fun.

I went shopping yesterday and found some shirts that I think are good Earth colors. I'll see if I can take some pictures of them soon. But I just had to say that I am wearing an olive green lacy tank under a dark golden brown cardigan sweater and I feel pretty. I still need to get my hair colored (that happens Saturday) but I feel like I'm coming into my earth self. I even bought some gold colored jewelry since all I owned was silver. Anyways, just wanted to share. Hope you all are having a good day.

Barbara,

Yeah!

You will enjoy the gold toned jewelry so much more; it is amazing how "off" silver tones now look to me. I have a few sterling silver pieces that I absolutely cannot part with, but there's a distinct difference in the way the jewelry looks against the skin.

OMG! Gold prices! Wouldn't you know that we would be in that boat!

I'm so glad that you feel fab today. You are going to LOVE your new hair color; from your description it sounds like you will have an amazing transformation. We understand if you want to wait to show us pictures on Saturday, but please... please.. indulge us with a picture because we're all just anxious to see your new look! :D:D:D

A little OT but I got a hairdo magazine because I've got a formal event coming up and I'm trying to figure out what to do with my hair. In it there is an ad for thehairstyler dot com which lets you put your picture in and "try" different hairdos on the photo ($15/3 months). I'm thinking of trying it, since I've never had hair shorter than shoulder length and I'm not brave enough to just chop it all off. Has anyone tried such a thing? Any advice for going from long to short?

I bought a formal dress and it is NOT BLACK!! Yay for me. It's a very quiet deep blue. I am also excited that my second favorite store Chico's (after Coldwater Creek) is opening here.

an olive green lacy tank under a dark golden brown cardigan... bought some gold colored jewelry since all I owned was silver.

Sounds like a beautiful combo. We want to see a photo style show of your new duds :)

A little OT but I got a hairdo magazine because I've got a formal event coming up and I'm trying to figure out what to do with my hair. In it there is an ad for thehairstyler dot com which lets you put your picture in and "try" different hairdos on the photo ($15/3 months). I'm thinking of trying it, since I've never had hair shorter than shoulder length and I'm not brave enough to just chop it all off. Has anyone tried such a thing? Any advice for going from long to short?

I bought a formal dress and it is NOT BLACK!! Yay for me. It's a very quiet deep blue. I am also excited that my second favorite store Chico's (after Coldwater Creek) is opening here.

I don't know if I have advice on this or not...but I have personal experience.

The shortest cut I've had is a Dharma style. Do you remember Dharma & Greg, the tv show. Man, that was a funny show. Anyway. I had the Dharma cut with all the layers all over. LOVED IT.

But my hair grows so fast. I wasn't in a position to maintain that cut. I hadn't really found anyone in my area that I could develop a relationship with. I was traveling to visit Mom and Dad and while there, I would get my hair cut. One reason that I would feel more adventurous was because I totally trusted the abilities of the Mom's hairstylists.

When I say my hair grows fast...I'm talking about an inch a month.

I guess my advice would be to work with someone with skills. You want someone that can not only cut hair well but also can look at your face shape and know how to make a certain hair style properly frame your face. I wonder what kind of customizing of the haircuts you can do on a website like that?

I think that you have to try to figure out how fast your hair grows, and then you calculate how long it would take you to grow out the shorter cut. Now you know how long you have to live with the consequences of trying it out. And you can see if there are any events in that time frame that would be super upsetting to have hair you don't love. Counting the cost like this...you can just decide to go for it and satisfy that curiosity about what it would be like to have shorter hair.

Edited by Anita Latte
grammar

I went shopping yesterday and found some shirts that I think are good Earth colors. I'll see if I can take some pictures of them soon. But I just had to say that I am wearing an olive green lacy tank under a dark golden brown cardigan sweater and I feel pretty. I still need to get my hair colored (that happens Saturday) but I feel like I'm coming into my earth self. I even bought some gold colored jewelry since all I owned was silver. Anyways, just wanted to share. Hope you all are having a good day.

Good for you , Barbara! Please post pictures when you can.

I will post pictures on saturday after my hair gets done. I want to do a before and after... what color should i wear for the before? I have some decent browns for the after but not sure what would be a good before example.

I totally understand you wanting to wait until your hair appointment to post pictures! I love the idea of the before and after! I can't wait to see it.

For the before, I would wear something that was typical of what you WOULD wear before you knew you were an Earth. If memory serves me well, you said you liked Earth tones before? So maybe that wouldn't be as dramatic. Did you like black? Just showing the great difference that changing from black to brown can make is a pretty good before and after; I like that idea because so many wear black as a neutral and it is an relatively easy fix for EARTH to switch to a nice deep chocolate brown...provided that we can FIND it, of course.

Ladies...I had to run into Target this morning for duct tape and masking tape for DS's fun GT class that I am volunteering at this morning. It's called Knights and Castles. We are going to be making shields, helmets, and swords this morning. Sent DS off with a ton of cardboard and I'll be showing up with other volunteers with box cutter in hand to help out in all this madness. :D

BUT...while I was trying to stay focused...I noticed that there is a TON of EARTH in my local Target. That fabulous color tank top where I showed my silly self and my new jewelry? They have it in cardigans! (the plum and red too!) And there is just all kinds of other things...I saw SHORTS!! Looked like deep muted color and a lighter mustard yellow. I don't know for sure...I had to stay focused on the task at hand...even now, I need to run out the door! BUT...just had to share. I'll definitely be headed back to Target when I have more time. And maybe a camera...LOL...there was a potential blue sweater that I just might have to try...I'm on the look out for Earth blue in a big way...;)

Hi, ChollaChick,

In addition to what Anita recommends, I think it would be interesting for you to also take a picture in the same outfit... that would show the difference between having your cool hair and warming it up with your new color! So, maybe a pic of the BEFORE of wearing a favorite outfit that you loved, whether it was EARTH or not, and a pic of yourself in the same outfit with the new hair. And then, if that fav outfit isn't EARTH, a BEFORE pic of yourself in EARTH and then an AFTER pic of new hair and EARTH.

So maybe a series of pics. This would really show how much of an influence your hair color is to your delightfully warm self...

Hi, ChollaChick,

In addition to what Anita recommends, I think it would be interesting for you to also take a picture in the same outfit... that would show the difference between having your cool hair and warming it up with your new color! So, maybe a pic of the BEFORE of wearing a favorite outfit that you loved, whether it was EARTH or not, and a pic of yourself in the same outfit with the new hair. And then, if that fav outfit isn't EARTH, a BEFORE pic of yourself in EARTH and then an AFTER pic of new hair and EARTH.

So maybe a series of pics. This would really show how much of an influence your hair color is to your delightfully warm self...

I loved black. In fact, I think 3/4 of my clothes were black simply because A) it's said they are slimming and B) black was so easy to wear with everything. The other 1/4 of my closet was browns and greens because everyone said I looked good in them (you'd think I'd have figured it out before now...) so I should have a couple of options to try for the before and afters. I will do one in the blacks and another in a nice earth (I think) toned outfit. I'm really looking forward to getting the hair thing done. I can't wait to see it. CJW wants me to go warm golden brown with very golden blonde highlights. I haven't ever been blonde so I'm really excited to see what it looks like.