Star: Upgraded from guaranty AD to AA :) Any thoughts on my cabin assignment?

kaseycamille

We booked a guaranty AD on the Star Princess sailing April 23rd, 2011. Our thinking was that we would be happy with AD or above and don't care about a covered or uncovered balcony. We really just wanted to spend the least amount of money on a mini-suite as possible (without the risk of getting an AE which is the one where you can't convert to a queen bed).

We got our cabin assignment today and were upgraded to AA (D423)! We're extremely happy to get the highest level mini for the price of an AD! I'm just wondering about out being right by the stairs and elevators. Is there constant noise heard from the room from people shuffling in and out of the elevators and talking while waiting? Are there any other drawbacks or should we be just friggin' excited about our room assignment?

I guess I'm just jones-ing for a little feedback, encouragement or warnings, now that we have gotten our assignment ;)

Thanks guys! This site and the people on it ROCK!

Kasey

I vote for "friggin' excited" . . . Your cabin actually opens onto the stairway landing not the elevator lobby (if you look closely at the deck plan, the elevator doors open onto the area where you see the lettering "Panoramic Lifts"; the back of the elevators face the stairway), so you probably won't even hear anything at all from people waiting for the elevator. I think it's a great location!

I vote for "friggin' excited" . . . Your cabin actually opens onto the stairway landing not the elevator lobby (if you look closely at the deck plan, the elevator doors open onto the area where you see the lettering "Panoramic Lifts"; the back of the elevators face the stairway), so you probably won't even hear anything at all from people waiting for the elevator. I think it's a great location!

The more I looked at it, I realized that, YES!!!, we are more in the stairway area, rather than the elevator area! I would say that the elevators are used more than the stairs on a cruise, eh...?! especially on this mid-level area...

The more I looked at it, I realized that, YES!!!, we are more in the stairway area, rather than the elevator area! I would say that the elevators are used more than the stairs on a cruise, eh...?! especially on this mid-level area...

I don't think you'll have any problem being near the stairs or the elevator, but on at least some ships the cabin configuration might not suit you. For example on the Grand some cabins near the elevator are really meant for 3 or 4 occupants. The twin bed set up in them is ideal for reading lights and watching TV from your bed. But if you want a queen bed set up, the layout becomes awkward. No reading lamps, a bit difficult to get to the bath in the middle of the night, little things that might actually be big things depending on your personnal requirements/tastes. I have no idea if this holds true on the Star or in your particular cabin.

We just got off the Grand in a Dolphin deck mini right next to the forward elevators. I only heard someone talking one night out of 14 except for the night they hauled the lady in the cabin next to us out on a stretcher. She was back the next day. Must not have been serious, thank goodness.

Archived