Fishing in Ketchikan- MAY

Fourseventeen

We looked into fly fishing when we go in the middle of June and we heard it might be tough even then...It all depends on the weather I've been told and places will book you now but may cancel if the fishing conditions aren't right. We decided to book other excursions in Ketchikan and try fishing in Talkeetna on our land portion. We are not setting ourselves up to be too disappointed if we can't go or it's not great fishing.

While you're not in the 'peak' season of anything other than steelhead, you're right on the cusp for King Salmon and you'll find Dolly Vardens, Cutthroat & Rainbow Trout in the water that early. See the attached Sportfishing Calendar off of a Ketchikan site. Remember, this is 'fishing', not 'catching' and you'll be in the right frame of mind! :-) The experience of fishing in Alaska is incredible!

account4fun, you are correct that some of the excursions will cancel if conditions are not right and this should be a relief to you! After all, who wants to go out combat fishing (where you have to fight just to stay inside the boat as the sea conditions are so bad!) when they're on vacation! I know it's a huge bummer when it happens but would rather have it that way than being forced to go out when it's crappy, or worse, dangerous!

In addition, the floatplane experience is amazing too! :-) Enjoy...

sportsfishing.jpg

RD, thank you for that great info! I am not a fisherman by any means lol but it seemed like a cool experience to try while in Alaska. My step father is a BIG time fisherman but told fishing would be terrible when we will be there. If someone in our group of 4 catches something ill be stoked. :D

I understand completely! And wish you the best of luck while you're out there, I get so excited when I get bites even! haha.... I sometimes get defensive when I hear statements like 'the fishing is terrible in June' and I think back just last year when I landed a killer 40lb King Salmon - in June!

I'm not a fly-fisherman but have a lot of friends who are and get out during the entire summer. But, again, they're having fun 'fishing'...

As I said before, just the experience of the floatplane tour to the Misty Fjords AND getting to try your hand at fly-fishing (or for your Step Father to get to fly fish in Alaska!) will be great.

Enjoy your trip!

P7016738.JPG

Actually June is the peak of the King Salmon run in Ketchikan.

The fishing in Ketchikan should be great all summer. You might consider contacting the guy that I fish with in Ketchikan. I know he does freshwater guiding as well. I am sure he could answer your questions about fishing in May. His name is Rick Collins. His business is Explore Alaska Charters.

I think all of the float plane companies offer this service. The place we are using (gotta check the name when I get home) charges 1200.00 for the trip and its about 3 hours total in length, only 30 mins of that is fishing. Most places I called wanted a minimum of 4 people...which luckily we have. I am sure there will be some that will take a smaller group.

I think all of the float plane companies offer this service. The place we are using (gotta check the name when I get home) charges 1200.00 for the trip and its about 3 hours total in length, only 30 mins of that is fishing. Most places I called wanted a minimum of 4 people...which luckily we have. I am sure there will be some that will take a smaller group.

Archived