New liquor policy

Vehorn

Without any notice, Carnival (Miracle) has changed its policy concerning liquor bought ashore and brought on board. Previously, you checked the liquor purchase when you re-boarded and it was delivered to your room the night before disembarkation, which allowed time to pack it in luggage. We found out this week on Miracle that you are now required to pick up the liquor in a storage room the MORNING that you leave the ship. That means you can't put it in luggage since luggage is picked up the night before. I also was told that this practice soon will include liquor bought at the ship store.

I find this hard to believe and practically impossible to coordinate on the ships. Just does not seem feasable?

sixgun, my impression its just on one ship, thats why you havent seen it.

You know I read a lot of posts, and thats what I came away with, but I could be wrong. Its true though what this OP says.

sixgun, my impression its just on one ship, thats why you havent seen it.

You know I read a lot of posts, and thats what I came away with, but I could be wrong. Its true though what this OP says.

Fire any idea why it's just this ship? Are they doing a trial run to see how it works out? Thanks!

In February, we bought liquor in Ocho Rios at the store near the port. They boxed it up and delivered it to the ship, they didn't let us take it with us. DH and to go to the dance club the morning of debarkation to pick it up. I wonder if this is going fleetwide?

that sounds ridiculous... i'd never do that.

i don't buy bottles 'to go' in ports or on the ship so it wouldn't affect me...

but the inconvenience would absolutely negate any 'savings' of buying the onboard duty free... and if i bought something 'special' in port, i would resent having to jump through that hoop.

carnival should reconsider this, regardless of wherever it's implemented. if on one ship, stop. and do not do that on any other ship. that sounds absurd.

Probably prevents what we saw on our last cruise. Young gal putting out her luggage and liquor box. When I asked if she was leaving it outside she said, 'They take it, right?' I replied, 'Yes, SOMEONE will take it'. She wisely put it back into her cabin.

I think the reason is to help sales on the last night of the cruise. As it is now, one can buy liquor in port and then have it returned the night before disembarkation. This would keep one from needing to buy drinks the last night.

it's not just this one...I just got back from the Conquest cruise on the 20th and i bought a bottle or tortuga rum at grand cayman that they delivered to the ship and i had to pick it up from henri's the morning before debarkation.

Same deal on the Inspiration a couple of weeks ago. Kind of a pain, but they opened at 6:30 am the morning we were getting back in Tampa and there was only 1 or 2 other people there picking up liquor. Took only about 5 minutes.....but I still like having it delivered to my room! :)

I think our MIracle cruise on Jan 30, was the first run of this program. When I arrived back home, I posted about this and was basically flamed a bit.

What we did was to keep one piece of our large luggage with us and placed the liquor purchased in it and we just rolled out two of our cases instead of one. The liquor we purchased on the ship on last day we could pick up at the gift shop after 4, so that got packed in the other luggage.

The warning we were given was in the letter handed to us when we brought the liquor on board the ship.

This new policy makes no sense . It prevents you from having your bags packed with your liqquor and sent on the luggage express program where you get your bags checked on the airline so you don't see them until you get home. You cannot bring fluids on the plane if the bottles are more than three ounces. Nice going carnival!!!!

I'll bet this is a result of lost/stolen liquor when the boxes are delivered the last night. Maybe they figure it will be a labor saving as well as a security improvement.

Doesn't seem like customer service enters into the decision at all!

Well if this negatively impacts sales, it serves them right. They should not be collecting purchased liquor in the first place!

I have already stopped trying to bring back duty free liquor when flying... just too much hassle for the very small amount of money saved.

It is just different so I imagine everyone will get used to it. Those lightweight folding totes come in handy for this as well as on embarkation. We pack one large tote in our luggage, purchase at the port city and put the purchases in the empty tote. If they change the rules for debarkation, I will just reverse the procedure by bringing the tote with me to pick up purchases and packing it before leaving the ship.

NOT COOL! We have a really close flight (dum dum DH booked it at 12:30pm lol), so we don't want to waste time picking anything up. If this is the case then I won't buy Tequila in Cozumel, and I will be fine with the brands I get in NJ. I'll ask once I board the Imagination, but if I find this to be true then the chances of me buying extra liquor is 0%.

Thanks for the info, I assumed they would leave it for me the last night so I could pack it! Any extra wait time is not within my departure plans!

I think 'comments' should be provided to Carnival if this is a new fleet-wide policy? Makes no sense whatsoever - last thing I want to do is be looking for bottles morning of debarkation and figuring out how to shlep them off the ship and get them into my luggage.

Besides I always weigh my luggage before putting it out at night (I am a notorious overpacker) and this would cause me headaches as I guess I would have to make sure there is space/weight left for liquor bottles (not to mention having to open the luggage somewhere, rearrange stuff to get it in there, then 'relock' suitcase!)

NOT SMART CARNIVAL! :(

This new policy makes no sense . It prevents you from having your bags packed with your liqquor and sent on the luggage express program where you get your bags checked on the airline so you don't see them until you get home. You cannot bring fluids on the plane if the bottles are more than three ounces. Nice going carnival!!!!

I would have to agree. This is my biggest concern ~ you are in port and want to purchase a bottle of rum or tequila as a gift/souvenir ~ and then you can't fly home with it! What a mess this will cause! :(

Archived