Booked Oasis for March 2012, now what?

crock25

Hello, my family and I are new to cruising. We vacation frequently but its always been to Disney World. I am a magician in finding the best deals, booking everything Disney related around our vacation so this is all foreign to me. Starting in Sept of this year we have several big things happenning, mine and DH 15 yr anniversary, DS (soon to be 13) graduating grade school, and DH will be turning 40. So we are wrapping everything together and celebrating our family! While I like the idea of booking in advance and making payments, I am trying to get acclamated with everything and feeling overwhelmed. I know that won't be the case when all is said and done. What I would like to know is what do I do from here? I'm guessing things don't have to be looked out for months now? What will best help, playing around the Royal Caribbean site or just hitting these boards?

Thanks

Hello, my family and I are new to cruising. We vacation frequently but its always been to Disney World. I am a magician in finding the best deals, booking everything Disney related around our vacation so this is all foreign to me. Starting in Sept of this year we have several big things happenning, mine and DH 15 yr anniversary, DS (soon to be 13) graduating grade school, and DH will be turning 40. So we are wrapping everything together and celebrating our family! While I like the idea of booking in advance and making payments, I am trying to get acclamated with everything and feeling overwhelmed. I know that won't be the case when all is said and done. What I would like to know is what do I do from here? I'm guessing things don't have to be looked out for months now? What will best help, playing around the Royal Caribbean site or just hitting these boards?

Thanks

Not really understanding the question. Are you booked for March, 2012, or thinking of booking?

If you're going through a travel agent, you'll get info on payments, documents, requirements, etc. Ditto for Royal Caribbean. And remember, you can always ask questions of them.

Go onto the CC Royal Caribbean Roll Call Members section. Click on R.C. and then Oasis. Find the starter thread for your sailing date and click. You'll be able to meet and chat with others on same cruise. It's always fun to share ideas on a variety subjects.

"Booked Oasis for March 2012, now what?" - now start packing :p

Seriously, are you staying pre-cruise? This is strongly advised, start looking at hotels, maybe make a refundable reservation if possible that far in advance.

Air: Orbitz gives you a good comparison chart, pick airlines with comfortable schedule, get ready to make reservations, maybe 6 mounths out (same for hotel)

After that, start cruise-planning: read all you can about the ports, get maps, make plans.

Occasionally check the cruise prices, if they go down, adjust your cruise invoice.

Now it's time to start bragging to you friends until they are sick of hearing about it!:p Find the Cruise Critic site for your cruise and if you like start making friends that you will meet on the ship... We always book way in advance and I'm on all the cruise sites I can find learning about the ports of call and just staying stoked about my cruise... Even after all the cruises we have been on I still get jazzed about going and relaxing. Enjoy every minute of the planning stages and in March, HAVE A DRINK FOR ME!!!:D C.G.

Just got back from our very first cruise ever on the Carnival Triumph. We were docked near the Oasis of the Seas in Cozumel. It is HUGE! Was on the beach with some of the people off the Oasis and it holds 4700 passengers! Yikes! I can't imagine being on a ship with that many peopl plus crew members. It hold more people than live in the small town I live in. They all said it was lovely. Good luck on your first cruise. We had a blast and have already booked our 2nd cruise. :D

What will best help, playing around the Royal Caribbean site or just hitting these boards?

Thanks

Absolutely visit the RC website as well. It will provide you with all the FAQ's regarding ship policies etc, as well as deck plans to orient yourself before you go.

You can also visit the Ports section on CC and also join your roll call.

Half the fun is planning everything! Good luck!

Thanks

It is never too early to start planning. The first thing I always do before a RCCL cruise is find my roll call on cruise critic. Sign up for the Meet and Mingle...if your cruise gets enough people, the ship will throw a little get together for you all. If there is no roll call set up yet, start one. I've met lots of great people over the years on the roll call that I am still in touch with and visit. You all will have a common interest (your cruise) and you can start comparing notes on ports, excursions, packing ideas, tips etc.

After you done that, check out the Oasis posts here on cruise critic. You can also check out the posts on the various ports of call here and get ideas. Look at the RCCL website for the excursions that are offered at each port and start researching them. Many times you can find better deals not booking through the ship (although as a first time cruiser, I wouldn't necessarily recommend this).

Unless you live within easy driving distance of the port, I would highly recommend flying down a day early and staying over a day after the cruise. Of the two, flying down early is essential IMHO. You get to the city in plenty of time and can board first thing in the morning without any fears of travel delays. You get to start your vacation that much earlier.

If you haven't paid in full, make a note of the RCCL website My Cruises section and it will give you payment information.

Start keeping an eye out for sales on things like bathing suits, etc. A monthly excursion to the dollar store with the family for "cruise necessities" is a good way to keep the excitement going.

I have lots of ideas and would be happy to go into others if you'd like. leave me an email here and I'll get with you about the ship, activites etc. that I know about.

Wow! Thank you all for all your great advice. I was just talking to DH about the suggestion of flying out earlier, I think we may look into it. We are from Ontario, Canada and regularly drive to Buffalo for the flights. We usually gravitate to the early morning flights and therefore stay out there the night before. I was toying with the idea of flying out of Toronto this go round because we are dealing with spring break travellers so going out a day before might just do the trick!

Atty, I am always willing to listen if you want to share your ideas and tips!

My desktop is broke, but Id ask specific questions on the RCL threads ..not the tell me everything you know which people hate.

I know there is a link to a pdf file that contains all the eating venues on the ship and if they are free or if there is a fee. For instance Johnny Rockets is free for fast food breakfasts, but costs for lunch or dinner, $4.95, its all broken down.

Some great pictorial reviews out there.

This ship the shows should be prebooked about 3 months out, before they sell out. There are 3 shows. the diving show, the ice skating show and Hairspray the musical.

Dont miss the zip line.

I agre with fire that its better to go with what you have questions about and then that will likely spur other thoughts. Thats why I suggested email so its not so disjointed a conversation.

Firefly, I did find the pdf on which restaurant is included and which has a cover charge. I've started my own file, on stuff like that. Simply there is so many things that I am sure to forget or not be 100% sure on it in the moment.

While my son is already set to ride the zipline, my husband and I will leave it to him. We've watched countless youtube videos of it and quite honestly the thought of it (for me) is near vomit inducing. While roller coasters I can handle (albeit with some fear) the thought of being suspended at any level is not for me. I wish it was as it looks fairly fun!

I will check out a roll call, or create one of my own, I am new to the boards and also need sometime to familiarize myself with that as well :rolleyes:

Everyone has been phenomenal so far, I am thoroughly happy to be here and familiarize myself with the world of cruising!

Thanks again

Firefly, I did find the pdf on which restaurant is included and which has a cover charge. I've started my own file, on stuff like that. Simply there is so many things that I am sure to forget or not be 100% sure on it in the moment.

While my son is already set to ride the zipline, my husband and I will leave it to him. We've watched countless youtube videos of it and quite honestly the thought of it (for me) is near vomit inducing. While roller coasters I can handle (albeit with some fear) the thought of being suspended at any level is not for me. I wish it was as it looks fairly fun!

I will check out a roll call, or create one of my own, I am new to the boards and also need sometime to familiarize myself with that as well :rolleyes:

Everyone has been phenomenal so far, I am thoroughly happy to be here and familiarize myself with the world of cruising!

Thanks again

What are your ports of call? There is a great zipline/adventure course that I've done a couple of times at St. Maarten

I would definitely recommend Chops. My DW and I go everytime we are on board a ship that offers it.

A couple general tips. Book whatever you can before online. All the good times for spas and restaurants will be taken usually by the time you get on board. Get the port early. You won't be able to check in/board until 11 or so but the sooner you get there, the shorter the line and the quicker you get on board to start your vacation. If you have not booked something online first, as soon as you get on board resist the urge to look around or go to the Windjammer to eat and make a b-line for that activity. In the past, before you could reserve everything online before, my DW and I had a routine, we'd get on board and immediately head to the spa and Chops to make our reservations. As I had researched the menus for the week beforehand, I had an idea going in what night I wanted to do Chops.

Oh, if you do sign up for the Meet and Mingle, that meeting is usually the first full day of the cruise at like 10:30-11:30ish so you can plan your sea day activities :)

Thanks again Atty. While I would love to zipline in theory, my fear of being suspended in the air will not allow me to do it. :) I was looking at the land excursions (Ports: Nassau, St Thomas, St Maarten) trying to get a feel for what each of us may like. I know a dolphin encounter will be big on everyone's list. Other then that I'm sure we'll change our minds a few thousand times between now and when we actually book the excursions :)

Thanks again Atty. While I would love to zipline in theory, my fear of being suspended in the air will not allow me to do it. :) I was looking at the land excursions (Ports: Nassau, St Thomas, St Maarten) trying to get a feel for what each of us may like. I know a dolphin encounter will be big on everyone's list. Other then that I'm sure we'll change our minds a few thousand times between now and when we actually book the excursions :)

One I've never done it but am planning on doing it my next trip is the racing challenge on the America's Cup boats. The snorkeling in St. Thomas was also fun.

Archived