Pacific Coastal on Mercury: Need help with Prince Rupert and Campbell River

Sailfish

I'll be taking a 5 night Pacific Coastal cruise aboard the Mercury in October, which will be calling on Vancouver, Campbell River, BC and Prince Rupert. As we are not much into shopping or simply walking around town, I was hoping to get some suggestions as to what we can expect from the weather and if there are hiking areas or nature tours availabe that time of year.

There's a lot to do in Vancouver, but I need help with Prince Rupert and Campbell River, which I am told is near Victoria on Vancouver Island.

Thanks.

Suzi:

Campbell River is abour half way up Vancouver Island from Victoria - it is an eco-tourism mecca - there's hiking in Strathcona Park - Whale watching - deep sea salmon fishing - Quadra Island offshore with Rebecca Spit and Cape Mudge - a first nations village - the town itself is super friendly and as you will be one of the first big ships to berth there they will welcome you with open arms - you will dock on the northern edge of the town - a short walk into the town - a great little boardwalk and lots of fishing boats coming and going.

I think Campbell River is one of the better stops on the island - there's lot's of history - first nations, forestry, fishing and now eco-tourism.

It's far enough up the east side of the island that it hasn't yet become overrun with development.

Weather in Sept can be varied - it could be cloudy, rainy and cool or sunny and warm - it is on the edge of the wet/dry zone on the Island.

I will look for some links for you

Cheers from Vancouver

Dennis

Archived