Anyone been to Marmaris, Turkey?

Our Holyland cruise was just rerouted to remove a 2 day stop in the port of Alexandria, Egypt and now we're headed to Marmaris, Turkey. Has anyone been there and what is there to do there? Anything that's a MUST SEE??:confused:

Some things to see at Marmaris, are the old Castle which has good views. The Old Quarter, I really enjoyed wandering around the narrow alley ways.

There is also a Bazaar and a nice Esplanade.

For photo's and more info, check

http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/fa47c/1bebf8/4/

A short bus ride is to Icmeler, a pretty sea side resort.

http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/fa47c/1bebf8/4/

Another option is to do a day trip if you have time to see the Kings of Caunos tombs at Dalyan, plus enjoy an experience in the mudbaths.http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/fa47c/1c2c10/

There is more info on those pages if you click on the link.

We stayed in Marmaris and Dalyan for a few days. I would recommend a trip to Dalyan. If you go, hire one of the men with rowboats and take a tour. Also,the beach is very interesting...turtles come in the thousands to lay their eggs as a recall. We very much enjoyed the area.

I found an old post about Marmaris in the Middle East boards by Motib. It said that the best way to see Marmaris is to rent a car and drive up the mountains to the Dalyan river area and the archeology sites of Kaunos. Another way to get there is by boat from Marmaris. Most boats leave at 9:00am. There are hundreds of them, just walk along the pier known as Kordom Caddesi and choose one. Don't forget to bargain and check in advance if it includes lunch and does it go to Iztuzu Beach.

I want to visit Dalyan and Kaunos for the day we are there, sounds interesting. Does anybody know anything about the boats and where Kordom Caddesi is?

I am impressed by how quickly you start getting information on the new ports after our Egypt cancellation. Driving the countryside sound interesting me me...especially if we have such a long time there. I will look into this. Brad has an international driver's license...I'll have to check to see if it is good for this area.

Mary

The one thing about Marmaris that I remember is going to buy a hydrofoil ticket to Rhodes the night before we left. The first ticket booth we went to insisted that we needed to buy the ticket that evening and from him. We walked down a little ways and bought a ticket from someone else...it was half the price for exactly the same same boat.

Lois, the excursion I'm looking at is $99 for 8 hrs. That's 200 bucks for me and DH. Don't know if I'm willing to shell that much on a ship's excursion with so many people. I'll keep looking and try to find a cheaper way...after all we are there for 14 hrs and if I miss the ship Rhodes our next stop is just 3 hrs away by ferry. I just have to make sure to bring my passport and Turkey visa ! Lol

I would skip the ships tour...it will be crowded and it takes too much time to herd cats at each stop. The local buses in Turkey are very good and very inexpensive. You can easily get a bus to Dalyan or presumably along the coast.

Our Holyland cruise was just rerouted to remove a 2 day stop in the port of Alexandria, Egypt and now we're headed to Marmaris, Turkey. Has anyone been there and what is there to do there? Anything that's a MUST SEE??:confused:

Lois, We are booked on the same cruise. We were in Marmaris two years ago. We took a ferry to Rhodes. The port is beautiful. The pictures we took, look like post cards. In my opinion, it will be a good day to walk around the town and take in the sites. I bought a Fodor's book on Turkey. The "don't miss" listed here, is the seafront promenade that will take you past the old fortress. I also read that shopping there is very good. Maybe we will have time to Christmas shop.

We will be there a long time. :)

This is what I have out so far about Marmaris. The cruise terminal is located at the Netsel Harbour where a bazaar (think shopping) is located. Make a left turn and walk to an area which I believe is very close where there's a Tourism Information Center, Post Office, Museum, Castle, Mosque, lots of restaurants and hotels. This must be the Old Town area? Then if you go further down the harbour by the Kordon Avenue there is a pier where all the boats are located for day tours to Dalyan & Caunos. Hope I'm right!!!

Just came back from lunch @ a Turkish restaurant. This is our second time there and I'm beginning to like their cuisine. I had mixed appetizers incl humus,eggplant salad (smoked eggplant with fresh pepper,toms,onions, parsley, olive oil), dolma (stuffed grape leaves), spinach and feta cheese pie. My fav is the eggplant salad. DH and I each had chicken shish kebab platter with salad and rice. It was delish. Turkish tea was also good. Their cofee was good but was really strong similar to espresso. I'll take my friends there one day to get acquainted to Turkish food since we will be spending a good amount of time in Turkey. Now I'm ready for my cruise!

• 2 weeks later...

Lois, check out post #2.

Thanks everyone for all the great info on Marmaris. It sounds much more interesting than I first thought. Looks like it's time to invest in a Turkish guide book - or print out lots of pages from websites :rolleyes:.

Sheila

Archived