Chile Reciprocity fee - still in place??

helpmesailaway

Is the Chile reciprocity fee still in place? I did a careless thing with my receipt that was issued in 2009. I just renewed my passport and left the receipt in the old one. I thought (wrongly:() that my old passport would be returned - with all my interesting (to me) travel stamps. Oh well

Is the Chile reciprocity fee still in place? I did a careless thing with my receipt that was issued in 2009. I just renewed my passport and left the receipt in the old one. I thought (wrongly:() that my old passport would be returned - with all my interesting (to me) travel stamps. Oh well

The reciprocity fee is still in place..It is only valid for the life of the passport for (US citizens), so the old stamp wouldn't be valid anyway.

Cheers

Unless the process has changed, you may still receive your old passport. When I renewed by mail last year, the old passport was returned after I received the new one. It makes a nice souvenir even if it doesn't help you in Chile.

We have always had our old passports returned. Where was yours sent?

HI,

We just returned last week, yes the fee is still in place, and it's $140US now. I was surprised that they let you pay with a credit card, but they did. There was no foreign transaction fee, as it was charged in US dollars.

HI,

We just returned last week, yes the fee is still in place, and it's $140US now. I was surprised that they let you pay with a credit card, but they did. There was no foreign transaction fee, as it was charged in US dollars.

When is the fee applicable: when arriving by plane, when arriving by cruise ship or both?

Recipriocrity fee for certain Nationalities including US & Australian citizens is payable when arriving at the first port of call in Chile on a service originating in another country, whether arriving by sea, air, shankses" pony, or rocket !!!

When is the fee applicable: when arriving by plane, when arriving by cruise ship or both?

The reciprocity fee is charged for air arrivals only and possibly only at SCL airport, definitely not for cruise ship passengers. The fee was collected expeditiously at SCL in February with a queue feeding five or six manned booths. My credit card transaction went through quickly, $140 each for US citizens, no dynamic currency conversion by the Chileans and no foreign transaction fee by Capital One. It took just a moment for the clerk to staple a receipt into my passport.

The receipt is valid for the life of the passport if I correctly translate the Spanish, "hasta la expiracion del pasaporte".

Immigration was similarly well run at the Santiago airport with one queue feeding about a dozen booths. The immigration officer did take some time typing in a lot of information from my passport.

The reciprocity fee is charged for air arrivals only and possibly only at SCL airport, definitely not for cruise ship passengers.

This is only partially true. Your port charges for Chile include a "modified" reciprocity fee. This was negotiated about 6-7 years ago between the cruise lines and Chile when the US government raised the fees charged to Chileans entering the USA and requiring a visa and Chile instituted the tit-for-tat "reciprocity fee".

This fee is also charged entering via road from both Peru and Mendoza, Argentina UNLESS you can produce a return airline ticket OUT of Chile within 30 days. Otherwise, you are given a tourist card good for 90 days for your money which MUST be returned when you finally leave Chile. This was instituted about 3 years ago when backpackers were staying in Chile for long periods of time and using Chilean services (hospitals primarily) with no way to pay for them. It is better to have the actual receipt in your passport if you plan on going to Chile more than once.

• 2 weeks later...

It's $140 US, and I think you can pay it on the same arrival level at the airport. If I recall correctly, it's on the right side out of the hallway (forgive me, we had an overnight flight and I just pointed to the booths after hitting the restrooms). In any case, it was a quick transaction, as pointed out prior. However, most of the arrivals just continued and went downstairs, where the line was MUCH longer, so get it out of the way!

*this* is why it's wise to know what different countries expect, rather than depending on the cruise lines to know when and where you arrive, which countries you visit before or after departure, etc. Good job on the research.

We LOVED Chile and its people. If you have time, spend a full day in Santiago and then to Valparaiso. We spent a day in Santiago and then raced to Valpo, would have spent a night enjoying it further, since we had 3 days till our cruise.

wow...had no idea! So glad I saw this...first mention! I knew about Brazil but this is somewhat of a surprise!:cool:

Thanks so much!

Archived