Spring Break differences with staff friendliness and onboard rules?

Just off the Monarch this morning, and I was a little disappointed in the staff on ship. I don't know if it's because of Spring Break and they don't get as good tips or what it could be, but several seemed unhappy and would not engage in the fun banter I've enjoyed the past three cruises on the Monarch. I enjoy just making small talk or little jokes with the staff as I love getting people to smile, and I find the staff to be very interesting people. I also got snapped at by a sports deck staff when I was simply giving my girlfriend encouraging words at the rock climbing wall ("You've got it/just a little further/get your foot up there/push up with your feet" etc etc). Some were very friendly as I am used to, but others were just not in the mood.

Also we encountered some bar staff asking for photo ID. I thought that's why they took your picture when you got your SeaPass? I don't like carrying my gov't issued photo ID around with me on ship. If it gets lost/stolen or destroyed by water from the pool/etc, it's not as easily replaceable as a SeaPass. I understand that the cruise contract states they can request ID during the cruise, but this just seems like something that they already have the infrastructure in place to handle without needing my ID.

These were just slight annoyances, but a definite deviation from what I know as the great staff on the Monarch. Our stateroom attendant was ok, but not as upbeat as previous ones, our waitstaff were excellent, and we did have the mini-bar guy come by a couple of times (including 7am on departure day, knocking on the door over and over while I'm telling him "Just a minute" because I was getting dressed).

Is this just Spring Break on RCCL or possibly something else? I did notice that a number of the staff members I knew from previous Monarch cruises were not on board. Thoughts? I'll start on the full review later!

Spring breakers can be a pain and the staff is overburdened trying to keep them in line - even more so on the 3 and 4 night cruises. It is probably like being in cross fire for you and them. We try to avoid cruising at this time. Our April 4th Family cruise is on the tail end of it so our GD can be with us. We will have a great time on one of our favorite ships (because of the crew!).

Spring breakers can be a pain and the staff is overburdened trying to keep them in line - even more so on the 3 and 4 night cruises. It is probably like being in cross fire for you and them. We try to avoid cruising at this time. Our April 4th Family cruise is on the tail end of it so our GD can be with us. We will have a great time on one of our favorite ships (because of the crew!).

I'm hoping that's what it was. This is the first time I've sailed in the spring, and I had to tell my girlfriend that it wasn't like this the last three times I cruised (she was totally understanding and loved the cruise... I think she's hooked on bingo too :eek:).

I guess in the future, we'll just keep our cruising to the fall months :D

I was thinking the same thing with the spring break thing....while I know that a few schools have started already the real big spring break crowd starts in the next week or two and runs right thru April.....don't think it had anything to do with that....if it were a spring break thing they would have had to already had a couple sailings to get them that way.

I'm hoping that's what it was. This is the first time I've sailed in the spring, and I had to tell my girlfriend that it wasn't like this the last three times I cruised (she was totally understanding and loved the cruise... I think she's hooked on bingo too :eek:).

I guess in the future, we'll just keep our cruising to the fall months :D

I'd just be thankful that you were on the 4 night vs. the 3 night. ;)

I'm glad that they ask for ID and take it serious. You could be using anybody's seas pass card so they need to make sure that the names match and the photo on the ID is really you.

Even though your picture is embedded on the sea pass card the bar staff doesn't see it when they swipe your card. I think only security has the photo machines as they "Ding" you on and off the ship. Guest relations probably also has that capability.

I'm glad that they ask for ID and take it serious. You could be using anybody's seas pass card so they need to make sure that the names match and the photo on the ID is really you.

Even though your picture is embedded on the sea pass card the bar staff doesn't see it when they swipe your card. I think only security has the photo machines as they "Ding" you on and off the ship. Guest relations probably also has that capability.

When I went on Carnival quite a few years ago the picture was attached to your card and came up at the bar. I wonder why Royal Caribbean never did this as well. I am younger and I hate having to carry around my ID along with the Sea Pass because the bartenders ID me everytime.(Until I start tipping them good :-)

Yep, I inquired about this once too. They should really integrate the systems... would make it easier for everyone. I think there was a long CC thread on this about a year ago that got quite contentious for some reason (although many do :rolleyes:).

It all depends on the ship. On some ships (especially at times when more younger people can sail) you'll get carded constantly and it gets a bit annoying. On other cruises, like early May last year on EOS, I was hardly carded the entire time. ...although that could have something to do with my receeding hairline :p. (I should note that I'm in my mid-20s so I always expect to be carded and have my ID with me.)

I don't mind being asked for photo ID, either. I wish store clerks would do it more. It might cut down on credit card fraud. I know there is a chance you could loose you driver's license, but that could happen anyhow.

Totally agree...someone cloned my card and was using it in Abu Dhabi, about 3 weeks before I was scheduled to be there.

Agree with others likely the Monarch was dealing with SB crowd and that was the reason...that said if they were nice to everyone they would probably make more tips than being cross with guests. Even S/B crowd does tip, maybe not as well, but if they are well cared for there is definitely a better chance at both a tip and a better tip at that.

We got off the ship the same day you got on...noticed the same as you did re: staff. No one seemed all that friendly to us, aside from the waiters in the MDR who were awesome. Some loud college kids were booked right across the hall from us and stood in the hallway talking each night...first time we've ever encountered anything like that....Also was looking to buy some alcohol from the liquor store on board and was told they would not deliver to the stateroom the night before as usual but you had to pick it up the morning of departure - the employee said he thought it was just because of spring breakers.

Well they are human and we all have days where something may be going on that can weigh on ones mind. I know that happens to me from time to time. Also, there are times that I'm tired or may not feel well and that can affect my overall personality for the day. It happens to all of us. I think that we all need to step back give some thought to that. Yes they are in a job that deals with guests and their needs but they are expected to be on 12+ hours a day, seven days a week in most cases along with keeping a smile. I could not do that. After what I have personally witnessed over the years of cruising, cruise ship crew members deserve a medal of honor for having to deal with cruise passengers. Not saying that this is the case here but just in general.

It seems that RCI cracks down at certain times of the year when it comes to alcohol. Spring break is one of those times.

Archived