Getting Bumped by Celebrity?

FortyNinerLiz

We signed up on board the Constellation for a cruise to the Caribbean next year on the Equinox. We chose stateroom #9298. I read on a thread on Solstice Class ship rooms and someone said that we could be bumped by Celebrity from our room if they sold it to someone with more people for the room. I do not remember reading this in our signed contract. Is this accurate??? We are devoted Celebrity cruisers and cannot believe this is true...........

We signed up on board the Constellation for a cruise to the Caribbean next year on the Equinox. We chose stateroom #9298. I read on a thread on Solstice Class ship rooms and someone said that we could be bumped by Celebrity from our room if they sold it to someone with more people for the room. I do not remember reading this in our signed contract. Is this accurate??? We are devoted Celebrity cruisers and cannot believe this is true...........

It's highly unlikely. Talk to your TA and make sure they tag your booking no upgrades. You should be fine.

There are certain staterooms that will hold more people. If you booked one of these staterooms for only 2 people than yes you could get bumped to a different stateroom. It has happened before. If you do a search I am sure you could find more info. This is not the same as an upgrade although sometimes I believe an upgrade is involved.

B.

....& there are only 2 of us. I have been told that if we get an actual room number that they cannot take it away from us. My guess is that they will wait until close to departure to see if they need it or not. If so, we will be bumped to a regular balcony.

We took it on the chance they will not need it since it is a bigger room with partition.

....& there are only 2 of us. I have been told that if we get an actual room number that they cannot take it away from us. My guess is that they will wait until close to departure to see if they need it or not. If so, we will be bumped to a regular balcony.

We took it on the chance they will not need it since it is a bigger room with partition.

When we booked we were told that our cabin was for up to four guests and we could get "bumped" if they need our cabin to be used by someone with 3 or more guests, they would give us another cabin in our same Cat. or higher if this happens anywhere on the ship. Location is important to me so I changed staterooms.

Ya, you can get bumped :mad: I am that person you are referring to, so believe me when I tell you, you can. In fact when we were bumped we already had a no upgrade do not change request on our room since we booked it specifically. And when we were bumped, we were not upgraded, infact in my opinion we were down graded. (The last room from the end of the ship.)

With that said, I am quite particular and therefore routinely check my reservation on the X site to ensure everything is still in order. I noticed the "bump" right away, called X and had them switch us back. The woman at the "customer service" line would not guarantee that we would not get bumped again, and she refused to transfer me to some who would assure me we wouldn't.

Needless to say I am continuing to check our reservation often, and have advised X due to their "customer service", we will be checking out other cruiselines. We are not writing off X, but now would like to see what else is out there.

Lesson to learn from this for you, check your reservation often and call if there are any changes.

Ya, you can get bumped :mad: I am that person you are referring to, so believe me when I tell you can. In fact when we were bumped we already had a no upgrade do not change request on our room since we booked it specifically.

With that said, I am quite particular and therefore routinely check my reservation on the X site to ensure everything is still in order. I noticed the "bump" right away, called X and had them switch us back. The woman at the "customer service" line would not guarantee that we would not get bumped again, and she refused to transfer me to some who would assure me we wouldn't.

Needless to say I am continuing to check our reservation often, and have advised X due to their "customer service", we will be checking out other cruiselines. We are not writing off X, but now would like to see what else is out there.

Lesson to learn from this for you, check your reservation often and call if there are any changes.

We are 2 pax in a 4 bed guarantee balcony. I check daily for any change, but so far all remains the same. We sail in May. I won't be at all surprised if we get moved, but I hope it won't be to a less desirable cabin.

We are 2 pax in a 4 bed guarantee balcony. I check daily for any change, but so far all remains the same. We sail in May. I won't be at all surprised if we get moved, but I hope it won't be to a less desirable cabin.

Good luck, I hope you get to keep your cabin :)

Ya, you can get bumped :mad: I am that person you are referring to, so believe me when I tell you, you can. In fact when we were bumped we already had a no upgrade do not change request on our room since we booked it specifically. And when we were bumped, we were not upgraded, infact in my opinion we were down graded. (The last room from the end of the ship.)

This is the part that surprises me. When you try to book for 3 or 4, it shows cabins available and ones already booked do not appear. Similarly, 3s or 4s are not able to book guarantees, they won't appear for them either.

So how are the 3s and 4s wanting the room getting this request into Celebrity? Is it done via telephone call and manual intervention?

Why would you book a room specifically for more than 2? There are so many options available. If they don't bump you, it would be a loss to some family, or force a family to have added expense to book 2 cabins because you occupy a room they need. You may luck out and keep that cabin, but I wouldn't want to spend the next few months wondering.

Wouldn't this fit the same as people booking a handicap room, not because it's needed, but because of it's size and location only?

Why would you book a room specifically for more than 2? There are so many options available. If they don't bump you, it would be a loss to some family, or force a family to have added expense to book 2 cabins because you occupy a room they need. You may luck out and keep that cabin, but I wouldn't want to spend the next few months wondering.

Wouldn't this fit the same as people booking a handicap room, not because it's needed, but because of it's size and location only?

In our case the 4 bed cabin is a guarantee and Celebrity have assigned it to us. I can't understand why they don't keep these cabins free until the last minute if there are 2 berth ones still available? We booked a lowest category balcony and they came up with this cabin 3 grades up :confused:.

We don't mind moving over for a family but if we had chosen the cabin ourselves then we would mind. I guess it's very easy not to notice this is a 4 berth when booking if you're not familiar with, or don't notice the symbols. They all look the same in that area on the deck plan. I noticed the symbols immediately we were assigned the cabin. Isn't it up to Celebrity to decide if pax fit the criteria for a cabin or not?

This is the part that surprises me. When you try to book for 3 or 4, it shows cabins available and ones already booked do not appear. Similarly, 3s or 4s are not able to book guarantees, they won't appear for them either.

So how are the 3s and 4s wanting the room getting this request into Celebrity? Is it done via telephone call and manual intervention?

This only happens when they run out of cabins for 3 or more guests in a Cat. then if someone calls looking for a C-2 cabin for example for 3 people if none are left, they may tell them to take another Cat. or they may take your C-2 cabin if it is for 3 and give you a new cabin for 2. This is not just Celebrity that does this it is all the lines. All this makes sense they built the limited number of cabins for more than 2 people not to give you a larger cabin but to hold the extra guest or guests.

.....It is BIGGER ! Even though there are only 2 of us. It is only a guarentee so I am not worried about a family needing it. We will get bumped if they do.

The price was the same as the lowest priced balcony catagory.

This only happens when they run out of cabins for 3 or more guests in a Cat. then if someone calls looking for a C-2 cabin for example for 3 people if none are left, they may tell them to take another Cat. or they may take your C-2 cabin if it is for 3 and give you a new cabin for 2. This is not just Celebrity that does this it is all the lines. All this makes sense they built the limited number of cabins for more than 2 people not to give you a larger cabin but to hold the extra guest or guests.

What I mean though is that when you go online looking for 3, the ship or category may well show sold out even when 2 bedrooms are available. And it doesn't say 'contact us' or 'lodge a request' - you just get told sold out. Similarly when I've spoken to the call centre they just use the reservation system so I would expect would tell you the same thing.

I wouldn't expect them to say 'hold on and I'll see what I can do' and then call you back the next day, or even more surprisingly just to move someone else on the fly and say we can put you in this cabin. I just don't see how the request gets into the system once the room has been allocated - I don't believe it as a normal or typical occurrence for a booking for 3 or more to be accepted once the room has been allocated.

The same thing can happen on other cruise lines as well. We were not even aware of it when we booked a suite online for two that will hold four, since it came up showing on the computer screen as available for two. But in speaking with a representative later, we were informed that they have the right to bump us if a party of 3 or more should want it.

Interesting you should bring this up. It was suggested by the on board agent as part of a free upgrade program to get us to sign up. Nothing was mentioned about it being a 3-4 person cabin and they might have the ability to bump us to a lesser room. She was hyping the upgrade!!! I learned this possibility just recently on the Boards!!! So sad, but we will sit it out to see what happens.

I sincerely doubt you will get bumped based on looking at your room number on the Equinox. The cabin info states that some of the C3 categories that are ADA equipped can handle a max of 3 people. You are in a C2 and yes, you have a convertible sofabed, but so do MANY of the C2 cabins. I know the idea of getting bumped is disconcerting, but I just can't see that happening. I'll keep my fingers and toes crossed for you!:eek:

Good thing to keep in mind though when making reservations.

Archived