Anyone ever rent a camper in Alaska?

MJN

We are debating various ways of touring Alaska after our cruise in July. We are either thinking of renting a car and staying at B&b's or renting a camper and staying at campgrounds. Both have their advantages, though we are thinking the price of gas may make the decision for us. We are just wanting to see what those who have rented campers thought of their experience. Were they easy to drive, Were they in good shape, were the dealers easy to deal with, any bad experiences? What dealers did you go through in Anchorage especially and/or Seward? Thank you so much. MJN

Believe me or not, but you may be late for trying to get a peak season camper from a good company for 2011. Yes, I have done so and highly recommend it. Ultimate freedom. I usually don't park in official campgrounds in most places preferring to find what I can do on my own, but you need to get a copy of the MILEPOST (a large soft cover book which is a guide to all things about Alaska travel.) to see what your options are.

Ultimate freedom but not necessarily a money saver with Alaskan gas prices being what they are and will be.

Pennyagain,

Thanks for that info. Hubby has looked and some were available, at least the kind we were looking at. We were wondering about the price of gas these days and wondering how it would affect any savings over staying in B&B's. We are still exploring all options. Where did you rent yours and what type did you rent? Thanks, MJN

if you go to the alaska forum on Tripadvisor, there's an informative section about RV Rental under TOP QUESTIONS ABOUT ALASKA.

You're pretty late in planning so you'll be paying top rental rates on a car or rv. For only 2 people it would be less expensive to rent a car and stay in a hotel/ b&b. You'll need to price out both options. Gas is the key factor. 10mpg vs 30 mpg. So if you travel 1000 miles that would $400 vs $135.

The benefit of an rv is that you have flexibility, whereas with a hotel you must commit to a specific itinerary and stick with it. For our group it was cheaper by rv. We were there for 2 weeks so we loved the freedom to go where we wanted. We rented from Great Alaskan Holidays. Once you get out of Anchorage the hwys are only 2 lanes so it's VERY easy to drive up there. I'll be back next yr.

(if you plan a yr in advance you get great rates. Reserve a car this July for June 2012 and you can get $125 a week !)

I have used both in Alaska, and much prefer B&B's. As already mentioned, you are late for the discounts which are available in the fall, if going this year. The key is to snag the prepay, up to half off, unadvertised deals that I have gotten twice, including with last years rental.

Some basics, I avoid the smallest RV, since they don't have a permanent lower bed, unless you are OK with the above cab, and no issue with the tightness, any of the made up beds aren't that comfortable. At best you "may" get 10mph, don't even expect that. Last year, I drove 1400 miles, and spent $700+ in gas. Do NOT expect savings by this mode of travel. Add campground fees, if using them. They are simple to drive. The roads are excellent in Alaska.

Purchase ALL available insurance waivers, if you want zero liability. You are bound to have some "problem" and extra charges. Windshield dings are common, so are scrapes from backing and roof damages. DO NOT expect to have any coverage with your auto insurance. I was "told" I had rental coverage for anything including RV's. I was in line at turn in, with a very upset returner with over $1000 in damages. Under the RV contract, they were told they had a $2500 deductable. They were on the phone with a major auto, and NO COVERAGE. I was insured with the same company. So when I got home, I called, and was told the same thing, despite, the previous call. Get everything in writing and be sure, there are no exceptions. Long story, but bottom line- this adds to your cost with a RV rental.

I rent from a family member. Someone always has a spare RV sitting around. I prefer the smaller 'just big enough' sizes as I like to find my own places to park.

I always have a bottle of Windex and paper towels in whatever I'm driving in Alaska. Many, many times I've helped RV'ers clean their windows as they want to see the views and animals. Put these items on your MUST have list.

I grew up doing car camping (Subaru) so a mini-RV is a luxury item for me. In Alaska we don't fret about what gas costs as we have to have it. The further you are from Anchorage/Wasilla the more gas costs.

You likely won't save money over a B & B and a rental car, but I think it is a good choice for some of us. Not all. Some.

my favorite campground with our RV is Williwaw, which is located near Whittier. Fabulous trails, glaciers, wildlife. If you like Nat'l parks with your own picnic table, and a firepit ring, this is your spot. Fri-Sat nights you really need to reserve on-line, Sun-Thur not as full.

Archived