Insect Repellent

dmc1025

I will be in AK in early July and have read that bringing insect repellent is a good idea. My question is at what ports or areas would need to use it. Would it be any time I am on land? Also do people recommend the wipes or a spray to use?

Thanks!

Ah, the state "bird" of Alaska! They honestly aren't joking about the mosquitoes. I've never seen them as big as they are there (and I live in the South). That said, it depends on what your plans are. If you are going inland at all, you definitely want to bring and put on the repellant. I'd suggest anything that is recommended for camping or the woods and then use it. You may not see a single mosquito ... but then again, if you do nothing, you may be bit. If it is a cold, rainy day you shouldn't need it.

We went inland in June and I got bit in spite of the repellant (although it was the Off fan which doesn't work well). I would have hated to be without it.

Would suggest you also ask your question on the Alaska board. I haven't been in July, so I can just share my experiences.

There have definitely been times when we have been very glad to have repellent with us. Specifically on an excursion in Haines to view bears, on a couple of different excursions out to the Dyea area of Skagway, on our hike at the top of Mount Roberts when we took the tram and on some hikes in the Ketchikan area. They were everywhere and as described, quite huge compared to the wimply little mosquitoes we have here in California. Other times we have not seen them at all, usually on excursions that kept us nearer to the coast or on the water.

I prefer the wipes and always carry them in the backpack we take with us on our excursions. That way, if I see the need, I can easily pull them out and quickly apply.

I have never had a need for insect repellent in coastal Alaska but there may be a need for it when you move a few miles from the coast. Your local WalMart should carry in its sporting goods department two brands of repellent that are about 99% DEETZ. They are available in small, plastic pump bottles and cost under $5.

My DH and I still laugh about one of our mosquito experiences in Alaska. We were taking the ranger led tour in Dyea and the mosquitoes were thick. Even with repellent it was hard to keep them off. I glanced at my DH and realized that one had landed on his cheek and instinctively I took the area guide and map I had in my hand and smacked it off his face. DH looked at me like I had lost my mind! He couldn't fathom why at that moment I had taken the opportunity to slap him with a magazine! He didn't realize that I was just protecting him. He still gives me a hard time about it.

Hi OP,

I've done two Alaskan cruises and never brought or needed repellent. I would agree that there may be a need if you are hiking in the bushes, but can I suggest a less toxic alternative? If you fill a small spray bottle with Listerine (the mouth wash) and spray it on your skin whilst out and about, you will find it just as effective as any insect repellent. We use it camping every year and it works surprisingly well. I feel much better about applying it to my kids and myself, plus it's kind of fun to spray everyone down with "bug spray" and then freak them out by spritzing some in your mouth! ;:D

It is going to depend on weather and activity. If it is rainy or breezy, you may not need it. If you go inland at all, you will wish you had it. Luckily, it is available just about anywhere up here, so you don't need to pack it.

Archived