Disney

LSP2005

We are scheduled to stop in "Orlando" and have opted to take the excursion to Disney world with our two children ages 3 1/2 and 1 1/2. For those who have done a one day Disney trip what would be your plan of attack to optimize seeing things in the park. We are not going to do the big roller coasters. I see that Mickey's Toontown is no longer an option. The last time we went our DS was 11 months and really enjoyed that area of the park. Which rides are not to miss?

I would head straight to Fantasyland for Dumbo, the Carousel, Winnie the Pooh, It's a Small World, etc. In Frontierland, there's Magic Carpets, Jungle Cruise, Pirates of the Caribbean (if they like pirates ;) like mine does). I'm sure I'm forgetting a few things. Don't miss the parades and shows. My son also enjoyed Mickey's PhilharMagic 3D show, the Haunted House and Indy Speedway.

Those are the places I'd head first based on what my son liked at our Disney visits at 2 and 3 years old. When going to Disney for a long stay, we go to Magic Kingdom twice and split the park to make sure we cover it all.

Just got back from Disney World last week and if the crowds at MK are anything like they were when we were there you are looking at maybe 1 ride an hour. For a one day trip I wouldn't try to over plan it. Maybe pick out the top 2-3 rides in advance that the kids want to do and make those your priority. For us it was Big Thunder Mountain Railroad - did it twice and once without a Fast Pass we waited 60 minutes (ugh).

Check allears.net and double check that there enough attractions open for your family. The new fantasyland refurb is going on and things maybe gone or shut down. also check the crowd levels for the time you will be there. I personally think it is to $$$ for the amount of time you will be there. IF it maybe the only time you will take the kids then you shouldn't miss it.

There is a guidebook on doing Disney...libraries have it...check it out and read it! You will only have a relatively short amount of time...it's important to know what is where, and when is the best time to be there! Orlando is an hour or so from the port!!!!

Thanks for the book recommendation I will absolutely check it out. We have been to Disney before and will go again but I think that they will enjoy Disney since they love watching the Mickey Mouse Clubhouse on TV. I realize that it is an hour drive, and yes it is $$$ (I appreciate the warning). However, we are getting credits from NCL that have offset the cost of going to Disney for the day, minus anything we purchase in the park itself. DD is still free and we have been to Universal, the zoo in Tampa, Bush Gardens, the Aquarium and a few other places in Florida already. My kids are to young to go snorkeling or swimming with dolphins. When I was a child I went to Cape Canaveral and I think my kids are still a little to young to appreciate it so I will save it for another visit.

If we did not do Disney, what excursion would you pick for a 3 1/2 year old and a 1 1/2 year old to do instead? To me the best part of cruising is waking up in a different port to explore. I am not a stay on the boat kind of cruiser.

When the kids are that young, you might be able to get away with a quick trip to Epcot Center.

Epcot has the characters, it has the World Showcase (which the kids like), the simple rides (Ellen Degeneres' Energy ride thing), the Soarin' ride is there, and of course, the Aquarium thing with Nemo.

http://www.themeparkinsider.com/reviews/epcot/

I mean, it's not "magical" like the Magic Kingdom... but it's Disney... and it's also less crowded.

The kids will appreciate the character pavilions and the easy rides, and the parents can enjoy the food and beer.

At their ages, 3.5 and 1.5 years, they won't remember much, but they'll see pictures to wet their appetite for the Magic Kingdom... when they'll actually remember what's going on.

We went to Disneyland and Disney World last year in lieu of our annual cruise... The Magic Kingdom is going through a renovation. They are building a new ride based on The Little Mermaid, and Tomorrowland is getting a facelift.

Check with the Disney message boards to determine whether that will be happening while you're there... Another reason to go to Epcot. :p

Are you on the NCL itinerary round trip from NY? Can't think of any others right now that stop in Orlando as a port of call. If you are on that itinerary the port time looks like it is noon - 10:00pm with all-aboard earlier than that. Take 1.5 hours off on each end for transfers to and from the park and you will likely only have 6 hours or so at the park. Also, I believe they drop you at the transportation and ticket center and you make your way to your park from there which will add just that much more time for getting to and from the park. Anyway you will have to decide if it is worth all the time traveling for a relatively short amount of time at Disney.

As far as rides at Magic Kingdom a 3.5 year old could do the vast majority of them. We were just there with our almost 4yr old and the only ride we couldn't do was Space Mountain because of height restrictions.

You might also consider Hollywood Studios. It is the smallest of the 4 parks and has the Playhouse Disney Live show which your kids would probably enjoy if they are into Mickey Mouse Clubhouse like mine are.

i would suggest going on the train that circles the magic kingdom. it has plenty to see and kids love train rides. also there is never a wait besides waiting for the train.

monster's inc. would be a good ride b/c waits are generally short.

also first thing to do would be to get a Fast Pass! Dont waste your precious time waiting in line for an hour or so.

It's a Small World would be a good one to do after Monster's Inc. Not too long of a wait there.

Then see if the country bears is starting soon otherwise skip it. you could also see if the ferry boat is starting soon. Same with the Tiki show.

I love Disney World but if you really won't be in port until noon (which would probably mean that you get to a park around 2pm) I really think it won't be worth it. As I assume you would have to leave no later than 7:30/8 pm that really won't give you much time and all of it is during the busiest time of the day. Not sure when exactly you are going to visit Orlando but unless it is a very quiet time of the year the approximately 5 hours in the middle of the afternoon won't really be worth it. Fastpasses will probably be gone so that you will spend a lot of time standing in line. Also, don't forget that you will also need to spend some time getting something to eat/eating.

Even though I love Disney World, I would skip a visit in this instance. If you really want to go, I would also advise to visit another park (not sure if this is possible with the excursion you are planning). If you go to Epcot you could probably do a couple of rides (Nemo, Mexico, Living with the Land, Imagination, Spaceship Earth) and spend time in the World Showcase. Another option might be a visit at Disney's Animal Kingdom (again, if that is possible with the excursion - you might lose too much time getting there from the TTC). It is more like a zoo and there are things to do that will not make it necessary to stand in line. However, AK gets very hot so might not be a good choice, depending on time of year.

If you are determined to go to Magic Kingdom (and it is of course the most magical) I would stay away from things that require waiting in line for more than a couple of minutes. Unless you go at a very quiet time of year (in which case you can ride whatever you like) I would advise to go to Carousel of Progress and TTA in Tomorrow Land, maybe Philharmagic and Small World in Fantasy Land (lines were never long when we were there and your kids might like it). Country Bear Jamboree would be another good idea. Also, you could go over to Tom Sawyer Island so the kids can run around a bit.

With a bit of luck you should get there in time to see the afternoon parade. Also there are often shows in front of the castle which might be fun if you can time it right.

Hope you have a wonderful time no matter what you decide on!

Archived