For those who have taken iPhones on Ship...

do you know if the "airplane" mode works? DD wants to use hers to listen to iPod and take pictures, but we don't want any HUGE bills for internet, messaging, etc. She feels confident none of that will get through if she uses airplane mode. Thanks for your help!

Yes, it works just fine! On our last cruise I kept my phone on airplane mode the entire time and still used it for apps like games (that didn't require internet) and the alarm clock and such. Also used it for a couple pictures. I'd ensure you keep the WiFi turned off too if you do not already, as that can drain the battery.

I have an android and airplane mode works fine. And like the above poster said turn off wifi to stop the battery drain. If you get to a wifi cafe on land keep the airplane mode on but turn on the wifi and should be able to use the internet and emails without using the data roaming package.

Yes, airplane will kill data, texting, and phone. You don't need to mess with anything else (another poster suggesting to turn data off....airplane mode kills the data portion already).

Speaking from an iphone user who has done this on 4 previous cruises.

If yours is through Verizon you can call and get the international plan added for free, they will walk you through turning OFF the international data roaming so you dont get socked with that charge, then all voice calls will be $2.49 a minute (no thanks!) but texts will only be .50 sent and .05 received. You can still use wi-fi, but it will have to either grab free wifi in ports or pay for wifi on the ship.

We will be in Europe where there is no 3g, so it may differ in the Carib.

I found verizon very helpful when I called! I suggest calling :-)

What is the best way to handle receiving texts? We'll be away from the kids and I want to be able to get their texts and send some as well with my iPhone 4. Do I keep the airplane mode on and then turn it off to get texts, or do I keep the roaming off and have all calls directed immediately to voice mail?

Thanks in advance....

Lisa

thebrennan5!

What is the best way to handle receiving texts? We'll be away from the kids and I want to be able to get their texts and send some as well with my iPhone 4. Do I keep the airplane mode on and then turn it off to get texts, or do I keep the roaming off and have all calls directed immediately to voice mail?

Thanks in advance....

Lisa

thebrennan5!

As long as your phone is on to receive text messages you will still get charged the $2.49/minute rate on calls even if you have them going directly to voice-mail.

We want to stay in touch with our kids, too, so we just get an internet package (usually around $25) in order to send a receive e-mail. I use a separate yahoo account, so I don't have to wait to download lots of mail.

We put our iPhones on airplane mode and use them as iPods. I'm hoping the pedometer works, too.

With the IPhone you can also download the RCCL App. This way with your phone in airplane mode, you can access the app. The app has the deck plans on it so you can find your way around the ship easier. It also shows where the bathrooms are.

For those who don't mind the .50 to text and .05 to recieve...I have Verizon, and not their fault, but when I would receive a text, I would get MANY duplicates...that added up. It was my fault I waited till I got the bill (not huge, but extra) and there was nothing they could do about it :(

For those who don't mind the .50 to text and .05 to recieve...I have Verizon, and not their fault, but when I would receive a text, I would get MANY duplicates...that added up. It was my fault I waited till I got the bill (not huge, but extra) and there was nothing they could do about it :(

On AT&T incoming text messages are free....you only pay the .50 for outgoing.

Only a nickle more, but it was the duplicate .50 that was the hit!!!

Still a LOT less expensive than making calls. I used this quite a bit to keep in touch with my wife on the last sailing where just my DD and I went and it worked great. There actually was a post a while back ago from someone with ties to AT&T that showed a way along with the codes to go into the system on your I-Phone and be able to direct all incoming calls directly to a voicemail box without ever first going through your phone first....this way you could basically text away without ever worrying or getting charged for incoming calls. I tried using the codes while on land it they seemed to work but never tried it at sea to see if it actually did eliminate all charges for incoming calls directed to your voicemail.

I am mainly interested in texting from time to time on board in order to keep in touch with my teen children. I'm with AT&T and we have the unlimited texting plan. I understand it is .50 per outgoing text, but in the case where we are texting within our family plan, would that be a total of 1.00 per text total?

(EX). I text daughter = .50

She texts back = .50

Just trying to get clear on this. I do not want to have the wrong expectations about what this will cost. I intend to make calls only when in port, if at all, but I 'm trying to get a clear answer on this texting issue.:eek:

I appreciate any info from someone who has texted on board with family members on an unlimited texting plan.:)

I am mainly interested in texting from time to time on board in order to keep in touch with my teen children. I'm with AT&T and we have the unlimited texting plan. I understand it is .50 per outgoing text, but in the case where we are texting within our family plan, would that be a total of 1.00 per text total?

(EX). I text daughter = .50

She texts back = .50

Just trying to get clear on this. I do not want to have the wrong expectations about what this will cost. I intend to make calls only when in port, if at all, but I 'm trying to get a clear answer on this texting issue.:eek:

I appreciate any info from someone who has texted on board with family members on an unlimited texting plan.:)

All outgoing texts are .50....so if you text your daughter it's .50....she texts you back then it's .50....no charge for incoming but .50 for ALL outgoing even with unlimited texting plan.

With the IPhone you can also download the RCCL App. This way with your phone in airplane mode, you can access the app. The app has the deck plans on it so you can find your way around the ship easier. It also shows where the bathrooms are.

Unfortunately this app doesn't work in airplane mode (I guess it used to). I'm looking for an alternative if anyone has one.

Unfortunately this app doesn't work in airplane mode (I guess it used to). I'm looking for an alternative if anyone has one.

Ship Mate has an app for RCCI tha works in airplane mode. It includes all of the deck plans plus some other features that you might like.

Ship Mate has an app for RCCI tha works in airplane mode. It includes all of the deck plans plus some other features that you might like.

Thanks vaeyedoc. Didn't mean to hijack this thread by the way. Sorry!

not to sound stupid BUT before I call AT&T and have international service re-instated (I JUST took it off from my vacation last Feb... forgot about it till I looked at my bill) for $4.99 per month can I actually SEND and RECEIVE text messages without doing that from the ship (when I have a signal?) for less than $2.49 per minute? I got some pretty big phone bills when we were on Anguilla a couple years ago so each year going back I've gotten the international calling - but it still wasn't cheap - just need to be able to check on the pets and family. Text would be fine.

Archived