Motorized Scooters

Hi Phillychick. Just google handicap scooter rental fort lauderdale. I found a couple of companies. We are renting one for my grandma. They deliver it to your cabin and will pick it up after your cruise and they seem very reasonable.

Hi Phillychick. Just google handicap scooter rental fort lauderdale. I found a couple of companies. We are renting one for my grandma. They deliver it to your cabin and will pick it up after your cruise and they seem very reasonable.

Thanks for responding. Do you have the name of the company? Have you used them before? We did search & found a company "Special Needs at Sea". We're going to call them tomorrow.

Thanks for responding. Do you have the name of the company? Have you used them before? We did search & found a company "Special Needs at Sea". We're going to call them tomorrow.

That who we use.

My friend who is thinking of renting a scooter doesn't have a handicap room. Do they fit through the cabin door? If not, is it true that RCCL lets you keep the scooter outside your door through the night? Thanks.

I priced scootaround...it was $175 for the week. Well worth it IMHO since my grandma would not be able to navigate around the ship without it and getting a wheelchair obviously gives her less freedom since one of us would have to push her. We don't have an accessible room either...and I've been told by a couple of people that you can leave the scooter out in the hallway...just bring the battery into the room to charge it each night. Don't want it to run out of juice:D

We took our 82 FIL (DH dad) along with his extended family on the 2/27 of the ALLURE. I had prebooked a scooter with Carevacations to be delivered to his cabin the day of our arrival. It was a lifesaver for us and him. He has some mobility issues from a stroke 4 years ago. It was delivered promptly, cost $225 for the week. Was a tab bit tight in and out of the stateroom (cabin 7601 promenade). But after a day he got the hang of it and his cabin steward (and ours as well) had a ball backing it in for him when he needed it. Must bring a power cord as the scooter needs to be charged nightly. His cabin steward even went down to the carpenter shop and picked up a door stop (weren't they always in the door slot prior to the Oasis?) All in all the best money we spent on a cruise, it gave him independence and the ability to be with us and enjoy the largest cruise ship ever...So spend the money it is well worth it...IMHO

We took our 82 FIL (DH dad) along with his extended family on the 2/27 of the ALLURE. I had prebooked a scooter with Carevacations to be delivered to his cabin the day of our arrival. It was a lifesaver for us and him. He has some mobility issues from a stroke 4 years ago. It was delivered promptly, cost $225 for the week. Was a tab bit tight in and out of the stateroom (cabin 7601 promenade). But after a day he got the hang of it and his cabin steward (and ours as well) had a ball backing it in for him when he needed it. Must bring a power cord as the scooter needs to be charged nightly. His cabin steward even went down to the carpenter shop and picked up a door stop (weren't they always in the door slot prior to the Oasis?) All in all the best money we spent on a cruise, it gave him independence and the ability to be with us and enjoy the largest cruise ship ever...So spend the money it is well worth it...IMHO

Thanks for this info. It's really helpful.

I priced scootaround...it was $175 for the week. Well worth it IMHO since my grandma would not be able to navigate around the ship without it and getting a wheelchair obviously gives her less freedom since one of us would have to push her. We don't have an accessible room either...and I've been told by a couple of people that you can leave the scooter out in the hallway...just bring the battery into the room to charge it each night. Don't want it to run out of juice:D

Scooters MUST be stored in the cabin. They are not allowed to be stored in the hallways.

• RCCL clearly states on there website that scooters must be stored in the cabin.
  • it's a safety hazzard.
  • by leaving the scooter in the hallway , you are prohibiting anyonw else that has to use a walker, scooter , wheelchair or any other type of mobility equipment from getting to their cabin.

My friend who is thinking of renting a scooter doesn't have a handicap room. Do they fit through the cabin door? If not, is it true that RCCL lets you keep the scooter outside your door through the night? Thanks.

Total depends on the size of scooter she your friend needs. Weight capacity of scooter vs. weight of user determines the size of scooter needed. In general if you friend can use a light to mid size scooter that's on average 19" it should fit through most standard cabin doors. The problem you;ll have is there will be little to no room to move around the cabin once the scooter is inside.

Scooters MUST be stored in the cabin. They are not allowed to be stored in the hallways.

• RCCL clearly states on there website that scooters must be stored in the cabin.
  • it's a safety hazzard.
  • by leaving the scooter in the hallway , you are prohibiting anyonw else that has to use a walker, scooter , wheelchair or any other type of mobility equipment from getting to their cabin.

Do you have a link to where this is stated on their website. Thanks.

Yes...I've been told by a number of people that the 'normal' size scooters have no issues with fitting through the cabin door.

I too would like to see exactly where that is posted. I was just posting what two reliable sources have told me they did on their Oasis/Allure cruises. I was also told that the cabin steward has 'closets' where they can store them to free up space in the cabin, but then you have to wait for them to get it for you in the morning..so not sure that is the best option.

Either way...we'll have a scooter and we'll find a place to put it...we're going to have an amazing trip.

Special Needs at Sea...NEVER AGAIN! Just used them last week on NCL Gem. The battery died the first night and the scooter needed to be pushed back to the room....from one end of the ship to the other!! Same thing the next day. Called Special Needs at Sea every day and they pushed off the problem to the ship's maintenance dept to "slow charge" the battery. Same thing. We could see the gauge draining quickly. Special Needs really didn't care. Could easily have brought another scooter onto the ship at our first stop in Port Canaveral but instead they did nothing. I can't say it ruined the cruise for our friend, but it made it very difficult.

Marianne...thank you for the post. That is good to know....we did price them, but we will probably go with a different company. Obviously you can have malfunctions with anything, however the fact that they didn't provide any assistance to help you makes me very leery. What a horrible way to ruin what should have otherwise been an amazing week.

Hi Everyone,

I used a Travelscoot last year before my hip surgery - check out the website - It's very compact, folds up into a golf bag and the battery goes all day on one charge. It gets shipped right to your home so you can get used to driving it around and setting it up before your trip. The only drawback is that it doesn't have reverse - you have to use your legs to back it up - which is very easy! It was a lifesaver.

Rec'd a response back from RCCL:

Here's my question: Issue: I'm traveling with a friend who will be using a motorized scooter. He doesn't have a handicap cabin. If the scooter doesn't fit through his cabin door, can he leave it in the hallway? Our travel agent says that RCCL allows this. Thanks, Barbara

Their response: Good day,

The entrance to the standard stateroom is 24 inches wide. If the scooter cannot fit through the doorway, they can speak with the stateroom attendant and the purser's desk onboard to find a location for it to be stored and charged.

Regards,

Access team ST

Thanks Phillychick for posting the response from RCCL.

When are you sailing? We're going in October...I can let you know what happens with us if you don't go before we do.

Thanks but I'm sailing on 4/10. I'll let you know how things work out for my friend.

Rec'd a response back from RCCL:

Here's my question: Issue: I'm traveling with a friend who will be using a motorized scooter. He doesn't have a handicap cabin. If the scooter doesn't fit through his cabin door, can he leave it in the hallway? Our travel agent says that RCCL allows this. Thanks, Barbara

Their response: Good day,

The entrance to the standard stateroom is 24 inches wide. If the scooter cannot fit through the doorway, they can speak with the stateroom attendant and the purser's desk onboard to find a location for it to be stored and charged.

Regards,

Access team ST

It's important to note that RCCL's response did not state it was acceptable to store the scooter in the hallway as your TA has told you. Rather RCCL's reply stated If the scooter cannot fit through the doorway, they can speak with the stateroom attendant and the purser's desk onboard to find a location for it to be stored and charged. Depending on the captain of each ship , RCCLs sometimes tolerates scooters left in the hallway though it is RCCL's Policy, RCCL's Parent Companies' Policy and that of the Coast Guard that scooters are NOt to be stored in the hallways for the safety of the passengers. Also in the unlikely event of an emergency evacuation. Please be considerate of others that need to move down the hallways in wheelchairs, scooters or any other mobility aid. The hallways are not wide enough for some using a mobility aid to pass a parked scooter blocking the hallway.

If your friend rented a Go Go scooter through CareVacations it will fit through the standard cabin door. The Door wide is 24" but you have to deduct for the 2"depth of the door when open making the total clearance only 22" wide. The Go Go is 21"wide. The arm rests can be removed by pulling out the pins in the back which will make getting through the door easier. Your friend needs to have the coffee table removed from the cabin or at best stuffed between the end of the sofa and bed other wise there will be no room to walk around the cabin. If your friend decides for RCCL's staff to store the scooter he/she should request that the key be returned to them after storing. Since the scooter usually won't charge if the key is in the ignition it can be lost or missed placed. If that happens the scooter will be useless. Also you don't want anyone else using the scooter on beknown to your friend. Yes I have seen this happen. Remember it's rented and your friend is responsible for the cost of all damages and or even full replacement of the scooter. Therefore it's not recommended that scooter be left out of your friend's control.

The go go has a tight turning radius as depending on how proficient your friend is in drving a scooter it is possible to d to very tight 3 point turn to drive the scooter front out rather than backing out the cabin. BTW I am a scooter user and have cruised regularly with a pride go go and book inside non HC cabins so I know for a fact this type of scooter will fit. It will be tight but it will fit.

It's important to note that RCCL's response did not state it was acceptable to store the scooter in the hallway as your TA has told you. Rather RCCL's reply stated If the scooter cannot fit through the doorway, they can speak with the stateroom attendant and the purser's desk onboard to find a location for it to be stored and charged. Depending on the captain of each ship , RCCLs sometimes tolerates scooters left in the hallway though it is RCCL's Policy, RCCL's Parent Companies' Policy and that of the Coast Guard that scooters are NOt to be stored in the hallways for the safety of the passengers. Also in the unlikely event of an emergency evacuation. Please be considerate of others that need to move down the hallways in wheelchairs, scooters or any other mobility aid. The hallways are not wide enough for some using a mobility aid to pass a parked scooter blocking the hallway.

If your friend rented a Go Go scooter through CareVacations it will fit through the standard cabin door. The Door wide is 24" but you have to deduct for the 2"depth of the door when open making the total clearance only 22" wide. The Go Go is 21"wide. The arm rests can be removed by pulling out the pins in the back which will make getting through the door easier. Your friend needs to have the coffee table removed from the cabin or at best stuffed between the end of the sofa and bed other wise there will be no room to walk around the cabin. If your friend decides for RCCL's staff to store the scooter he/she should request that the key be returned to them after storing. Since the scooter usually won't charge if the key is in the ignition it can be lost or missed placed. If that happens the scooter will be useless. Also you don't want anyone else using the scooter on beknown to your friend. Yes I have seen this happen. Remember it's rented and your friend is responsible for the cost of all damages and or even full replacement of the scooter. Therefore it's not recommended that scooter be left out of your friend's control.

The go go has a tight turning radius as depending on how proficient your friend is in drving a scooter it is possible to d to very tight 3 point turn to drive the scooter front out rather than backing out the cabin. BTW I am a scooter user and have cruised regularly with a pride go go and book inside non HC cabins so I know for a fact this type of scooter will fit. It will be tight but it will fit.

Thanks for the info. I didn't really think that the scooter could be left in the hallway either. And I'll be sure to tell her to make sure the key is returned to her each night.

Archived