Mariner Champagne Brunch - worth going to?

Zezzie

I understand that only Champagne produced in the Champagne region of France is entitled to be labelled as Champagne......but of course I could be wrong.

We have only seen sparkling wine poured at the Mariners Lunch, Suite Lunch and Art Auctions.

you are correct. only champagne produced in the Champagne region can be label as such.

the method used to produce prossecco and spakling wine is the same. as with all things, quality varies. i've had some very fine sparkling wines and prossecco.

On a recent 10 cruise on the Noordam there were over 900 passengers attending the lunch, which was held twice once at 11:00 am and again at 1 pm. The food was o.k., got a free tile and met some nice folks, but on my AK cruise I'll eat in the lido.

We were on Rydam Feb. 6-20. At the Mariners Brunch, we were offered red or white wine, with lots of bar staff circulating to provide refills. Tea or coffee were also available.

The menu we had was only slightly different from the one KK posted; we had key lime tarts for dessert instead of the bread pudding, but the other dishes were the same.

Key Lime and White Chocolate Tart - A sweet and tart filling baked in a flaky pastry tartlet, topped with a dollop of whipped cream.

Dave

we also had the key lime pie on our ryndam cruise in october -- it was horrible -- bitter -- all of us at our table took one bite and pushed it aside

we also had the key lime pie on our ryndam cruise in october -- it was horrible -- bitter -- all of us at our table took one bite and pushed it aside

Your cooks must have had an off night. Ours on the Maasdam in February was very good. Same as in the MDR.

We went to the lucheon on Friday the 25th of Feb and there was wonderful food, champagne ( lots of refills) and great people. Got our tiles for the NA. It is fun and special. The other couple could also go as they don't check if you are invited or not. Up to you?

When calling the front desk to RSVP for the luncheon, I asked if I could bring along my companions who were new to HAL and they said, "Of course! How many will there be?"

When calling the front desk to RSVP for the luncheon, I asked if I could bring along my companions who were new to HAL and they said, "Of course! How many will there be?"

The vast majority of the people will be mariners, and will be invited to a luncheon. There are most often 2 of them to accomodate the numbers. On my last cruise, the Captain told of one time when all but 4 people were Mariners, and they decided to invite them anyway.

This will be our 4th cruise on HAL and we have never been invited to a Mariner's brunch. There was a gathering one trip in the lounge where they have the shows and we received a tile there, the other time, they were out and had to ship it to us.

Can you tell me how or when we would be invited? Thanks!

Can you tell me how or when we would be invited? Thanks!
The steward always delivers our invitations, the night before. It's a white card that looks like the "invitation" you get when you've booked the PG.

Ask when you board what day it/they will be, and which one (if there's two) will be yours. On that day, just go, whether you've gotten the card or not. We've never been asked for the card, and IF they do, you can say you forgot it and show your key-card with your star number.

none, as long as you've cruised with one of hal's sister lines. in that case, you'll be a one star mariner automatically.

My DH and I have been on one cruise with HAL, so I guess we will be invited. Sounds like a lovely affair.

I assume these are pretty crowded? WHere are they usually held?

On my first HAL sailing, I received an invite to the Mariner function and a tile.

The last two or three sailing were the brunch.

The lunch is ok. I mainly go to fellowship with my fellow cruisers and to hear the latest info on HAL.

Now one of my friends is a mariner and her husband not (her first HAL cruise was a girls only cruise, wives getting away from everyone). She took her husband to the brunch with her even though the invite was in her name only.

The vast majority of the people will be mariners, and will be invited to a luncheon. There are most often 2 of them to accomodate the numbers. On my last cruise, the Captain told of one time when all but 4 people were Mariners, and they decided to invite them anyway.

that was the repositioning cruise on the veendam -- 34 days -- back a couple of years ago

i remember that story

[quote name='airlink diva']On my first HAL sailing, I received an invite to the Mariner function and a tile.
The last two or three sailing were the brunch.
The lunch is ok. I mainly go to fellowship with my fellow cruisers and [B][SIZE=4][COLOR=red]to [/COLOR][COLOR=red]hear the latest info on HAL.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]
Now one of my friends is a mariner and her husband not (her first HAL cruise was a girls only cruise, wives getting away from everyone). She took her husband to the brunch with her even though the invite was in her name only.[/quote]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4]it has been about 4 years since we have heard any news about the future of hal while on a ship -- and we sail quite a bit on lots of different ships[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4]all we hear now is about the new mariner star program[/SIZE][/FONT]

Archived