Oasis, Feb 26 sailing, just back...

I've been looking forward to hearing your thoughts- glad to hear you enjoyed the cruise.

Just curious if the seapass issue has happened on other sailings or was it specific just to yours?

Thinking I may just have to look at the Nov-Dec prices :)

This issue had never happened to me before and I have never heard the alarm go off so many times when I was departing other ships.

Great review! Thanks. We were on the same sailing and I've posted some notes here previously.

The fiasco with the account when getting off the ship was un-freaking-acceptable. Why on earth did they not take care of that during the week?

In fairness, the captain did announce during his noon address on the day prior (I think I'm remembering when it was correctly) that we were staying in St. Thomas one hour later than planned.

Great review! Thanks. We were on the same sailing and I've posted some notes here previously.

The fiasco with the account when getting off the ship was un-freaking-acceptable. Why on earth did they not take care of that during the week?

In fairness, the captain did announce during his noon address on the day prior (I think I'm remembering when it was correctly) that we were staying in St. Thomas one hour later than planned.

You know what, he may well have done that but this ship seems to have one lousy PA system. I could understand it if I was in a passageway that was somewhat quiet and it it was great if I happened to be in an elevator . But if I was in any public area of the ship I just couldn't make much out that was being said. And a lot of that had to do with everyone around just continuing their conversations. I don't get why people can't just keep quiet for two minutes while the captain is talking. If you are not interested fine. But don't deprive others of being able to hear and understand what is being said. People seemed to treat the captain's announcements like any run of the mill bingo announcement.

You know what, he may well have done that but this ship seems to have one lousy PA system. I could understand it if I was in a passageway that was somewhat quiet and it it was great if I happened to be in an elevator . But if I was in any public area of the ship I just couldn't make much out that was being said. And a lot of that had to do with everyone around just continuing their conversations. I don't get why people can't just keep quiet for two minutes while the captain is talking. If you are not interested fine. But don't deprive others of being able to hear and understand what is being said. People seemed to treat the captain's announcements like any run of the mill bingo announcement.

We only heard the announcement once we got off the elevator, so a second or two in the elevator and then exiting, I couldn't hear it clearly either way. Too many people talking over the announcement. We heard bits and pieces.

I also found the voice in the elevators, when announcing the deck, to be barely audible, the voice had an echo and we never made out what deck we had arrived at, we only knew by looking at the numbers, and that was because we were usually at the front or beside the numbers, so we wouldn't get squished.

As CC mentioned, lots of pushing to enter the elevators without waiting for anyone to get off as well :mad:

Your point about looking over at the other ships, I had the same feeling on the Oasis when the Carnival Dream followed us from port to port. Nothing that I saw made me want to be on that ship and I was glad to be on Oasis.

DITTO same for me!!! :)

I leave in a few days. Thanks for posting your thoughts.

What level was your cabin on? I'm on level 10 in a D7 about 1/3 away from the aft and only 2 cabins away from the stairs. I hope this is a good location. Dazzles is close by, but I hope I won't hear too much noise from it.

JEALOUS JEALOUS have a great cruise!!!

Hello, everyone! I'm a new member and this thread is the first I found on the Oasis. I'm hoping someone will be nice enough to bring me up to speed on the ship and RCI. I've only taken one cruise to the Bahamas on the Disney Wonder so far; but it got me hooked; so now am taking the advice of my AAA agent and just booked a 7 day WC on the Oasis for August. I have been agonizing over which RCI ship to book and when. The group is comprised of myself and my 14 year old son. I had the option of doing the Allure, Oasis, or Freedom. Wanted the Allure; but the itenerary was EC and I think WC might be more our cup of tea (no boring shopping excursions; we want to chill on the beach or do something fun!) Oasis actually had a better deal for a better Stateroom class than Freedom. So, I'm wondering about possibly booking a last minute during Easter Spring Break week on either the Navigator, radiance, or Monarch/Majesty to get oriented to RCI before the big cruise in august. Thoughts, Opinions, Advice???? And no, while we greatly enjoy Disney, Hes a full on teen now, so he doesnt really care about the Dreamworks stuff; its ok i suppose, but we didnt even bother with the characters on the Wonder either. I just chose it because we know Disney's guaranteed service level for the most part! oh, and we are foodies too. i see us hanging out at the sushi bar and seafood shack a lot. Restaurant previews are a plus!

Hello, everyone! I'm a new member and this thread is the first I found on the Oasis. I'm hoping someone will be nice enough to bring me up to speed on the ship and RCI. I<snip> I just chose it because we know Disney's guaranteed service level for the most part! oh, and we are foodies too. i see us hanging out at the sushi bar and seafood shack a lot. Restaurant previews are a plus!

Welcome to Cruise Critic! We are booked on Oasis in June so I'm reading all I can as well. There are lots of threads - look for a thorough review by "Radio" for starters. And here's a new thread with a food review! http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1243807

:)

So, I'm wondering about possibly booking a last minute during Easter Spring Break week on either the Navigator, radiance, or Monarch/Majesty to get oriented to RCI before the big cruise in august. Thoughts, Opinions, Advice????

One thing you will find about RCI is that its various classes of ships can offer very different cruise experiences. I don't think that Monarch/Majesty, which are two of RCI's smaller and older ships would provide the feel of the other ships you mentioned. Radiance is a beautiful ship but very different from Navigator which is a Voyager class ship. None of the ships really provide an experience that will prepare your for what you are going to find aboard Oasis. Oasis and Allure really are very much in a class of there own and like no other. Since you are sailing with a 14 yo boy I would suggest Navigator if you want to do a warm-up cruise before Oasis. The Voyager class ships are pretty awesome in their own right with plenty for a 14 yo to do.

I have no interest in sailing Monarch/Majesty and I don't think your son will enjoy those ships either.

I keep reading posts from people who find it odd that shows need to, or should be, reserved and pre-planned so I thought I would address this. I had these very same concerns when I was planning this cruise. My thinking was how do I know what I am going to feel like doing in the evening two months ahead of time? It is not unusual for us to make up our minds half way through dinner whether we want to go to the show or do something else. It seemed like a lot of the spontaneity of our past cruises would be lost. However, it turned out to all work out just fine. If anything, with so much going on aboard this ship, a little pre-planning of shows helps to ensure that you will be able to get them in without conflicts. And if it turns out that you just don't feel like going you are not obligated to just because you have a reservation.

For those who are concerned about the above issue I would say though it is a departure from what you have been used to in the past don't let it put you off. And if you really don't want to pre-plan, most of the time you can get into the shows without a reservation anyway. You just will have less of a choice in seats.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm doing as much research as I can for our cruise, and I am loving the reviews, so thank you.

I will also say that I was one of the people you referred to. We sailed on the Carnival Miracle, which was docked right next to the Oasis, in November last year. While I loved the cruise, and the ship was nice, I couldn't stop looking over at the Oasis and wondering when I'd be on it.

I'm doing as much research as I can for our cruise, and I am loving the reviews, so thank you.

I will also say that I was one of the people you referred to. We sailed on the Carnival Miracle, which was docked right next to the Oasis, in November last year. While I loved the cruise, and the ship was nice, I couldn't stop looking over at the Oasis and wondering when I'd be on it.

Hopefully, once you get to experience Oasis from the other side of the railing you will let us all know what you thought.

Archived