I can't BELIEVE this crap

so, after our initial deposit in November, we made a payment (of half the balance) last month with our debit card. At the time I gave the debit card numbers to the TA (she works in the same agency as our TA, but ours wasn't there) I told her it was a debit card and she needed to wait until that afternoon to put it through (we were depositing cash at the bank). well, ofcourse, she tried put it through BEFORE then and it was denied a "few times" before it went through. didn't think anything about it.

so I call our TA Saturday and give her another set of numbers for our other debit account, to pay the remaining on our balance (which is due 3/10). she sends it through, but it's declined because it's over our "daily allowed amount" (even though the $ IS in there). So she calls back, I tell her to process up to our amount today (Saturday) and the remaining couple hundred dollars the next day.

well, when she calls back, Carnival tells her that since our account has had "a card" (even though it was 2 separate cards) denied so many times (3 or 4) that she's going to have to call the "accounting department" today (Monday) and straighten it out.

HELLO...we're 3 days from having to have the balance paid!!! :mad: can anyone tell me, based on your experiences with Carnival, if they're going to give my TA a hard time on this? or is it just a matter that they want to know "what the deal is" and have to reset something into the computer for the Carnival personal to be able to run a card again? apparently even if we showed up at the agency with the cash, it'd take a few days for the agency check to reach Carnival and by then it may be too late!!

ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

can anyone put my mind at ease here? my TA (who stinks, by the way, and we won't be booking with her again) is only a TA part time, is at her day job all day so probably won't "get around" to this til late this afternoon. meanwhile, I'm here, FREAKING OUT.

thanks, guys. *sigh*

Well, unless it's truly cost prohibitive, I'd cancel with that particular TA and go to another. Especially if you're able to get a similar deal on the type of cabin you desire.

Personally, I would not have even settled with what happened last month. However, you shouldn't freak out. If you got the down payment in, you'll be fine. If need be, send a check overnight.

This just happened with my sisters debit card. It would not go through, because we assumed the amount was over her limit. I just gave the TA my cc number to get it through in time, and my sister sent me a check. When the next deposit is due, I told my sister to contact her bank in advance to alert them of the upcoming transaction. MOST banks will work with you. I also contact my bank before traveling and let them know to expect out of town charges to appear and from what areas. The banks appreciate this. They will post a message on their system and it will avoid problems before they happen. This protects all parties including yourself. Banks have taken many losses ($$$$$) because of fraud and have really stepped things up.

So, if I were you, I would contact my bank right away, and see if they can help you in anyway. Good luck, and don't fret too much. I'm sure it will work out for you.

MamaParrotHead] ......or is it just a matter that they want to know "what the deal is" and have to reset something into the computer for the Carnival personal to be able to run a card again?

MamaP - Carnival probably 'red flags' any account where there are multiple denials, and they are waiting till today (Monday) to speak w/someone at your bank to make sure there are funds available. They'll see that the funds are intact, but they have to follow policy, I'm sure.:)

....apparently even if we showed up at the agency with the cash, it'd take a few days for the agency check to reach Carnival and by then it may be too late!!

I have a friend who owns a travel agency here on the coast, and she has a 'direct deposit' set up with Carnival. Somehow, she deposits money into the account and Carnival gets it the same day. I'm not familiar with that system, but she said she does this every day. SO, it wouldn't take a few days if your agency uses the same system.

I'm here, FREAKING OUT.

I can feel your frustration.:o BUT, hopefully it will all be resolved today. Let us know.

Uhhhh ... why not just use a credit card and send the check out immediately? I do this all the time. Just include a note that the payment is to be applied to account #XXX-XX ... done! No hassles, no potential credit score dings. As soon as I receive notification that my card has been charged, out comes the checkbook ... don't even receive a statement. What began as a simple payment of the balance due has now become some sort of high-finance transaction. Why make matters any more difficult than they need be?

Al

Banks routinely deny DEBIT charges that They are concerned about. Did you contact someone at the bank to advise them of your plans. They are trying to protect you from fraud. They'll be more than happy to work with you if you communicate with them. I phone call works wonders.

Yes, MamaParrothead, we had a similar situation, but it's easily resolved. (I had a PVP, so I had someone inside Carnival to help me.) Have your TA do a conference call between you and Carnival to discuss and resolve this situation. No problem! And, as mentioned above, call your bank first to make sure they're going to let that amount of money go through your debit card. Don't stress out ... it will be fine!

I don't spend money I don't have, either. I've had my own credit cards since I was in college (many more years than I care to reveal - OK, you talked me into it; I graduated in 1964) and have yet to pay a finance charge, late fee or any amount other than the balance due. It's just so much simpler today with a credit card. You're obviously financially disciplined, so the temptation to extend your resources wouldn't be an issue. The method I use works very well, and everything is paid for in the same amount of time. My intent wasn't to be disrespectful - it's just that everything is geared toward electronic transactions, which includes placing a limit on debit card withdrawals on a given day. Using a credit card would have circumvented the nonsense you're enduring, and kept you in a better frame of mind. Have a great cruise!

Al

Disciplined use of a credit card nets you an interest-free 30-60 day line of credit. It also makes transactions like this a lot simpler, IMHO. Finally, if you choose the right cards you can save money in the form of cash rebates or travel points/miles.

I just called and spoke to a REALLY nice lady at Carnival...I explained the situation to her. She said that, although *I* couldn't speak to anyone in the accounting department, as soon as my agent tells them that this is regarding a "debit card", there should be no problem, "because we know that the bank won't allow any charges that you don't have the funds for".

WHEW.

thanks everyone! :D

MamaP: See if your bank offers a visa check card. It is a debit card, but you can use like a credit card. The money only comes out your bank account, there is not credit account:D It just looks like one. You are using your bank account so there is not problem. You don't have to worry about it being denied unless you don't have enough money to cover in your account. I used mine at a local store, told them it was a Debit, the clerk put it through as a credit, when I went home to check it out, it came out as a debit. No prob:D

MamaP: See if your bank offers a visa check card. It is a debit card, but you can use like a credit card. The money only comes out your bank account, there is not credit account:D It just looks like one. You are using your bank account so there is not problem. You don't have to worry about it being denied unless you don't have enough money to cover in your account. I used mine at a local store, told them it was a Debit, the clerk put it through as a credit, when I went home to check it out, it came out as a debit. No prob:D

I think most of the debits these days ARE check cards (Visa or MC), BUT they do have a daily limit. Mine is $1000 but I have seen some whose limits for the day is as low as $200, so if you have a low daily limit, it can be a problem. Doesn't matter if you run it as credit or a debit. If you have a personal banker, a quick call can sometimes lift that daily limit.

I don't spend money I don't have, either. I've had my own credit cards since I was in college (many more years than I care to reveal - OK, you talked me into it; I graduated in 1964) and have yet to pay a finance charge, late fee or any amount other than the balance due. It's just so much simpler today with a credit card. You're obviously financially disciplined, so the temptation to extend your resources wouldn't be an issue. The method I use works very well, and everything is paid for in the same amount of time. My intent wasn't to be disrespectful - it's just that everything is geared toward electronic transactions, which includes placing a limit on debit card withdrawals on a given day. Using a credit card would have circumvented the nonsense you're enduring, and kept you in a better frame of mind. Have a great cruise!

Al

What you do requires more discipline than using a debit card, IMHO. However, we handle our money the same way as you do. We use one credit card for everything and pay the whole thing off each month. As you mentioned, it's quite convenient and we rack up a whole lot of benefits and frequent flyer miles by doing it this way. But people who aren't disciplined financially will often pay the minimum charge "just this once" to get over a hump. Next thing you know, they are in major debt and a slave to a minimum payment. If we weren't extremely committed to staying debt free, a credit card could really end up being a liability. I can certainly see why some people just don't want the temptation.

I hope the OP's problem gets worked out to his satisfaction.

I've had a 'debit' card for years, or at least when they first became available. I remember my original limit, per transaction, was $200. which has since been raised to $500. by the bank. I've received notice that I could have it raised if I wanted, but never felt the need.

I use my 'i-cruise' card to make payments, big purchases etc., to rack up points for future cruises, and just pay off the balance each month. Debit cards have their uses for quik cash, etc. but you might as well use the CC and get the 'freebies'.. ;)

Glad the phone call helped the OP! Have a great cruise.. :D

Why don't you send a cetified check or money order, overnight, directly to Carnival? I would completely circumvent the TA, at this time, and then ask her to cover whatever additional charges that you have incurred. BTW due to illness the final payment on my last cruise was late but the cruise wasn't canceled nor was I charged any penalties...I called Carnival from the hospital and they were very nice about it. I guess that's one of the reasons I keep cruising Carnival, they can really be helpful.

*we made a payment (of half the balance) last month.......

*I told her it was a debit card and she needed to wait until that afternoon to put it through......

*so I call our TA Saturday and give her another set of numbers for our other debit account......

*to pay the remaining on our balance (which is due 3/10)

*she sends it through, but it's declined because it's over our "daily allowed amount"

*I tell her to process up to our amount today (Saturday) and the remaining couple hundred dollars the next day......

I AM GLAD IT EVENTUALLY WORKED OUT FOR YOU, BUT HONESTLY, YOU DID NOT MAKE IT EASY FOR HER EITHER, DID YOU???

Archived