Can you summarize Nassau for me???

AandBmom

I've never been to Nassau. I've read a ton of posts on here and they're all about going to hotels. Can someone give me the Nassau for dummies quick summary???

Why does everyone talk about going to hotels?

What is the port like?

What is there to do with young kids (5yrs and 7yrs).

Is there anything "public" to do, ie. public beaches???

What are the, "must sees"?

Can you pay for a day pass at Atlantis? I tried to find info on their site but couldn't figure this out.

Best transportation?

I've never been to Nassau. I've read a ton of posts on here and they're all about going to hotels. Can someone give me the Nassau for dummies quick summary???

Why does everyone talk about going to hotels?

What is the port like?

What is there to do with young kids (5yrs and 7yrs).

Is there anything "public" to do, ie. public beaches???

What are the, "must sees"?

Can you pay for a day pass at Atlantis? I tried to find info on their site but couldn't figure this out.

Best transportation?

I will offer my opinion based on our (wife ,husband , 3 kids)personal experience and 5 vists:

It is a good port to walk around safely and get a flavor of another culture outside the USA. You can swim for free on a public beach or pay for nicer facility. You can do some shopping, get some local food, take a horse carriage tour, or vist Atlantis or Cable Beach. They have a zoo. You can do as little or as much as you like.

We usually walk to local public beach near the pier, swim for an hour or so, then walk through town and the straw market, do some shopping, eat lunch, and then return to the ship. Two to four hours max. The worst we have encountered is some aggressive hair braiding vendors or locals selling trinkets. Answering No thank you usually does the trick.

The deal with the hotels are this. Some people like to go and pay a price to use the hotels facilities, such as all-inclusive. This means all of your bar drinks and food are included in the price. There are swimming pools to use, plus their beach and beach activities. We have done this twice in Nassau and liked it both times.

The best transportation is your feet, there are cabs all over, if you need to go further the #10 Jitney bus if great for $1.25 per person.

I, too, have been to Nassau several times. It can be tricky as to what to do ....I've taken a snorkeling excursion--very nice, rented mopeds and driven to what I assumed was the public, free part of Cable Beach--very nice, no amenities, no tourists. Thus, this time, I'm opting for a resort because it appears thats the best way to beach it. But, if this is your first time, I feel you must at least see Atlantis, even if its just a cab ride there...the aquarium is wonderful for kids, but I think they charge for it now...

The nearest free beach is Junkanoo. It is within walking distance of the port, past British Colonial Hilton, if you like to walk. You can easilly see it on Google Earth, if you search for "Junkanoo Beach, Nassau, Bahamas", zoom in and you are there. If you scroll a bit to the right, you can see a few ships in port.

Can someone please give some info on the closest free beach near the pier and how to get to it? We are traveling with some friends and they would prefer this option vs a pay option.

Thanks.

Walk out of the terminal and go to you right along the waterfront. Go straight until you come to Senior Frogs then make a left. Follow that side street to the main street. You will see the British Colonial Hilton on your left and McDonalds on your right. Keep on that road, which will be a short right then a left. The public beach begins past the BCH on your right.

Does this go to either the Sheraton or Wyndham?? THANKS!

yes it does....catch the bus across from the Straw Market--and let the driver know you want to stop at the Sheraton it stops across the road from it and be sure to ask where you catch it on the way back

Archived