Crown princess cabin help

cruise6932

When I book my cruise on the crown we book 2 x g grade (partially obstructed) I have now checked on our cruise planner and we have been allocated 2 x ff grade cabin (obstructed view).

I know this is a higher grade, but could somebody explain the difference between partially obstructed & obstructed please?

It sounds like we have been given a higher grade but we will not be able to see any out of the window as we have been given obstructed as appose to partially Obstructed, how is this a higher grade cabin?

Thanks

When I look at the Princess site I do not see the rooms grades listed as Partially Obstructed. They are listed either as Obstructed OV or OV, but not Partially Obstructed OV. That said, there are rooms within each of the Obstructed OV categories that are less obstructed than others of the same grade. The Obs. OV categories are E, FF, F, GG, G, highest to lowest based on midship location. Whether your view is fully obstructed or partially obstructed will depend on specific location more than letter grade.

"Partially" obstructed describes an oceanview cabin with a view between lifeboats, "fully" obstructed directly opposite a lifeboat.

For the sake of those who are new to Obstructed Oceanview staterooms, I like to offer some clarification to the above statement.

On the Crown and other similar ships, categories E, FF, F, GG, G rooms are all classified as Oceanview Obstructed. Rooms between lifeboats and opposite the smaller lifeboats (10 of the 13 on each side of the ship) get partially obstructed views of various degrees - you get to look over the top of these lifeboats. Only those rooms that are directly opposite the 3 larger and taller tender/lifeboats get mostly or fully obstructed views.

Here is a photo of the view from room E222 on the Crown that we had last month. There are many other rooms offer similar views.

DSC03393.JPG.5ae2af953596084114a23182fbe69c41.JPG

The price on these can definitely be a bargain. I just booked one that was $50 more than inside while it was another $150 to get to a OV and $350 for a balcony. I've sailed in about every accomodation and while much preferring a balcony in southern climates, I'm just fine with inside or OV in northern climates. The view out of any OV, obstructed or otherwise is generally pretty poor; the only real advantage for me is that I know if it's daylight when I awaken (I'm an early riser; sun up, me up). To me, this perk is worth about $50 more than inside but not much more.

We are booked in E315. Anyone have info on this cabin?

Tahoe782

This cabin should have the view of the front part of the smaller lifeboat and part of the lifeboat lift structure - a very decent view.

You can get a rough idea from the small photo below. It was taken from Crown's sister ship, the Emerald, Cabin E305 which is in a similar location of E315 from the window view standpoint.

Emerald_E305.jpg.7507dd8832fbbd316d4393f17e3b3057.jpg

Prior to arriving the end of January this year , I was dismayed that we were "upgraded" to a totally obstructed view cabin, E706 on the Crown Princess. Once we arrived I found that the view was blocked by a shelter containing a liferaft system but we had a nice view forward while at the window. You could also see over the shelter but only close to level with the horizon. The link below is to a page with a couple of my posts in the obstructed view section elsewheres in this site. The page below has photos from the totally obstructed E706, FF I think, and a partial obstructed we had last year on the Crown, E510. It might have been GG class, but I don't remember.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=830062&page=25

Archived