Tipping your room steward on the first day?

turbot72lou

Why? There is no reason to pre-bribe any Carnival employee. You will receive the normal outstanding service even if you just let Carnival take out the standard $10 per day/per person at the end of the cruise.

Yes I pre bribe

Works great eveytime

Now read my post very slow and understand it .I was using the Tip the bartender as an example:)

As far as tipping before services are rendered .Its $20 and 9 out of 10 times works magic we never to ask for anything

now tell me which part i didn't understand.....

but being a magician, what would have happened had you not tipped the $20?

To all the posters that define tips .

The people who are members of the cruise critic community are not stupid and know what a tip means.Please stop defining the term tip and start defining the word CHEAP

Cheers;)

I personally pre-pay my tips before my cruise, leave $20 for the first day and about $50 on the last day. We have never had bad service. Our last room steward was fantastic!

This is the best idea i have seen so far. I think this might be the way to go

We don't tip at the beginning of the cruise but always give both the room steward and the assistant $15 or $20 at the end of the cruise! I usually give the assistant the same amount as the steward (if not more) because he/she has to do the "grunt" work!

This is the best idea i have seen so far. I think this might be the way to go

If by best you mean dumbest you would be correct.

A pre-cruise bride does nothing to guarantee you will better service if you didn't (how would you even compare).

Besides if you end up with lousy service anyway, are you going to ask for your money back?

A pre-cruise bride does nothing to guarantee you will better service if you didn't (how would you even compare).

Besides if you end up with lousy service anyway, are you going to ask for your money back?

Big Duck, thanks for my much needed chuckle of the day.:D

Dianne

I saw one post that said they tipped to keep the cooler filled and an extension cord, another about the towel animals and missing luggage, what would be other reasons to tip extra, just curious?

When I get an extended balcony room I ask the stewart to bring down a deck chair to use instead of the chairs they have. I tip him $10 bucks for the service.

Dan

We don't pretip but we do give a tip if we ask for an additional service.

I am not expecting BETTER service, just an extra service thus the extra tip. Like for the exra hangers, new bedspread and 2 lounge chairs on our balcony.

I Gave a $20 asked him to make sure we always have ice .You gave the goose egg and always wanted ice .Its not rocket science.I win

I don't pre-tip $20 and ALWAYS have ice. Guess I'm the true winner.:p And that's not rocket science.

On one cruise I "pre" tipped the cabin steward embarkation day. The service that week was less than attentive for what we've come to expect. So much for that bribe. :p

On another note, yet a different cruise, the room steward was hitting on my gal every day. I was inclined to be less generous.

I prefer auto tips. I remember when it wasn't automatic. It was hard to save cash till the end of the cruise. (Now I pre-pay, and pre-load the SS account, and pre-order booze... as well as pocket cash. :D)

I too pre-tip to the tune of 50 bucks. I also tip the maid who does my hotel room. I do it because I appreciate their hard work for little money. I don't do it because I'm trying to buy any favoritism,or trying to scurry any extra service, other than maybe making them feel a little more of a personal connection with me and my family. I just feel more like there's someone I know and I can trust around my personal possessions rather than a stranger being in my room every day(or twice a day in the case of a cruise). That's just me being me. Or as the youngins would say, that's how I roll!

Same here - hey I got ice TWICE a day with a 'goose egg' pre-tip! Prett cool eh? :D:D

Twice a day morning when he cleaned and at night when he turned down your bed .In between you had no ice .Pretty cool eh

I always had ice and whatever else we asked for and better than that I liked the smile on his face when we gave him money

I always pretip $20 for any extra's we may need. And if the service doesn't warrant the extra tip and it's less then what is expected, I give a lot less at the end. I don't like charging my tips to my S&S card. I prefer to give them myself, this way it's more personal and I know they get what I give them, maybe I'm just ocd that way.

I too pre-tip to the tune of 50 bucks. I also tip the maid who does my hotel room. I do it because I appreciate their hard work for little money. I don't do it because I'm trying to buy any favoritism,or trying to scurry any extra service, other than maybe making them feel a little more of a personal connection with me and my family. I just feel more like there's someone I know and I can trust around my personal possessions rather than a stranger being in my room every day(or twice a day in the case of a cruise). That's just me being me. Or as the youngins would say, that's how I roll!

I agree with this sentiment and have much the same to say. I usually pre-tip, but I don't want anything extra or expect anything extra. I am an elementary school teacher, and very giving by nature. I guess I feel that these people work so hard, and I know it is their job, but I want them to know that I appreciate them. It's just that plain and simple. I don't have a lot of extra money, nor am I a pompous person throwing money around. I smile and try to say hello to every employ that I meet, hoping to make their day a little brighter. After a few cruises, if I hear our luggage being delivered I have gone to the door and thanked the person delivering it and tipped them also. If this makes me ignorant or a sucker, then so be it. I am pleased with the person I am. :)

I am planning a pre-cruise tip for the first time in July. My son and our nephews (all teens) will be in a cabin by themselves (first time for this as well). While they are all good boys, and fairly tidy, they are teens. The pre-tip will just be to say Thank You in advance for whatever he encounters.

We won't let them be slobs, but we want them to manage their room themselves. I will be checking in with the boys and the cabin attendants to make sure the stewards are able to get in and out. The stewards have enough to do, so our boys will be trying to make their jobs easy for the week.

My plan is for $25 on the first day and the prepaid gratuities at the end. If I feel like the boys made their week harder, they will give an additional tip.

Like I said, this is our first time doing this. Anyone have any suggestions for a different way?

I read on here to tip in advance, like you are talking about, but I didn't get any better service doing that. In fact, it was worse than the times I tipped at the end.

I have to agree, I have done both and the service was not as good when I tipped up front. I believe it should be done after the service has been rendered.

When we cruise, my wife insists that the sheets are changed when we first arrive at the cabin. So, I always give at least $10 dollars on the first day. My wife doesn't believe they have time to change all of the sheets in each cabin before others embark.

When we cruise, my wife insists that the sheets are changed when we first arrive at the cabin. So, I always give at least $10 dollars on the first day. My wife doesn't believe they have time to change all of the sheets in each cabin before others embark.

ugh!

yes they do.

and if they didn't, they would find their tip removed!

Archived