Another Car Seat Question

Buford T Justiice

We'll be traveling to Seattle this summer for a cruise and I was wondering what the options would be regarding a car seat for our three year old. We'll be traveling from SeaTac to the hotel and back to SeaTac after the cruise.

-Do some Cabs at SeaTac have car seats?

-Will we be S-O-L if we wait until we get to SeaTac to arrange a car seat?

-Can cab car seats be reserved in advance at SeaTac?

-Should I have Mrs Justice take a cab with the luggage to the hotel, with me and little Buford taking the light rail system?

-What have others done?

It seems kind of burdensome to take a car seat across country for a fifteen minute ride.

Any thoughts would be appreciated

Yeah, it's annoying, but having done many cruises with small kids I have found that the easiest approach is just to bring your own gear. Just got back from Lugging a car seat and a booster seat from Seattle to Orlando to Ft. Lauderdale - onto a cruise, to Disney and back. It was a pain, but far easier than trying to arrange two car seats for a cabs or rely on a rental car agency to have what you need. Feel much safer with a seat I know and am familiar with installing.

In your case it really won't be that big of a pain. You can check the seat onto the plane and onto the ship so you will really just need to install it for a couple cab rides and be done with it. We were able to store our booster and car seat in the bottom of the closets on the ship to get them out of the way.

I see you are on NCL which departs from Pier 66 downtown. Are you staying at a downtown hotel or out by the airport? Was thinking about hotel shuttles for your transportation, but the downtown hotels don't usually shuttle to the airport. Nice thing about some of the downtown hotels however is that they are walking distance from the Pier 66 so you wouldn't need a car seat for getting to the ship.

You could take the light rail from the airport to downtown, but depending on where you are staying you would still have a cab ride to the hotel or a walk through downtown with your luggage. Its about a 30 minute ride from the airport to downtown.

No cabs here have car seats, so yes, you'll be SOL if you count on finding one at the airport. I haven't ever heard of a cab providing car seats. Your other options are simply to hire a car service that can provide a car seat for you or maybe take the Downtown Airporter, that can also provide a car seat.

http://downtownairporter.hudsonltd.net/res?USERIDENTRY=TMS-DTA&LOGON=GO

FWIW, you can get a Cosco Scenera for $35 at Target, Walmart, etc. It's lightweight, can sit inside a stroller (use a bungie to secure), and is pretty easy to cart around.

We recently flew with our Radian XTSL carseat, which kind of folds up a bit for air travel, but it was so big and bulky that we're thinking about getting a cheapie for use with our travel to our cruise. With the Scenera at $35, I'd be fine just throwing it away at the airport at the end of our trip if I didn't need it on the plane. At that price, it's practically a disposable seat, and still meets all safety testing standards.

In addition to what others have said, you need to know how to use and install a seat correctly for it to be safe. Unless you`re a car seat tech (like me!), that`s unlikely to happen. Plus rental companies offer no assurance the seat has never been in a collision, has recalls on it, is installed correctly etc.

It may be ``burdensome``; however it is your child`s safety in question.

We'll be traveling to Seattle this summer for a cruise and I was wondering what the options would be regarding a car seat for our three year old. We'll be traveling from SeaTac to the hotel and back to SeaTac after the cruise.

-Do some Cabs at SeaTac have car seats?

-Will we be S-O-L if we wait until we get to SeaTac to arrange a car seat?

-Can cab car seats be reserved in advance at SeaTac?

-Should I have Mrs Justice take a cab with the luggage to the hotel, with me and little Buford taking the light rail system?

-What have others done?

It seems kind of burdensome to take a car seat across country for a fifteen minute ride.

Any thoughts would be appreciated

Marriott would be a perfect location for you. Just walk across the street and you will be at Pier 66. I am sure some of the town car services can provide some sort of child seat. Just have to look around...

LOL!! Buford Justice....that's funny!!

We too will be traveling to Seattle for a cruise this summer with a 4 year old. Yeah, it's probably cumbersome and a pain to haul a car seat around, but your child's safety should be priority. I know that car rental locations rent car seats, but don't know if you have to rent a car also.

We will be hauling our car seat with us!! Plus it's free to check on the airlines! (or at least it used to be).

Have fun. :)

Archived