Something Different to Do?!

cruisinwithboys

We will be visiting Roatan in the beginning of June. We've done zip lining, snorkeling, jungle tours, all kinds of things at other ports and are looking for something different. We are mid 20s with 2 boys, 5 and 6, who may or may not get off with us. Any suggestions would be great! Thanks in advance!

We will be visiting Roatan in the beginning of June. We've done zip lining, snorkeling, jungle tours, all kinds of things at other ports and are looking for something different. We are mid 20s with 2 boys, 5 and 6, who may or may not get off with us. Any suggestions would be great! Thanks in advance!

That's what you do in Roatan. If you've never snorkeled around the reef, zip lined looking out at the ocean, or gone on a tour of the island, it may be the same activity but it'll be a different experience. And I doubt if a 5 and 6 year old boy will be satisfied with only onetrip down a zip line or bored with seeing fishes and rays and turtles again.

That's what you do in Roatan. If you've never snorkeled around the reef, zip lined looking out at the ocean, or gone on a tour of the island, it may be the same activity but it'll be a different experience. And I doubt if a 5 and 6 year old boy will be satisfied with only onetrip down a zip line or bored with seeing fishes and rays and turtles again.

Awesome! Sounds good to me. We booked the Bodden tour that is zip lining, monkey petting and then to the beach for snorkeling. Might as well do it all! Looks like you love the Dream! I think we are going to try that next year, we'll be on the Legend this year. If you have any other suggestions for the rest of the trip, let me know!

If they like going to the top of the biggest jungle jim then they'll love, you on the other hand... oh yeah, you'll love, it's not like jumping out of a plane. The first line is usually short and low, so it gives you a chance to get used to it.

• 1 month later...

I had the same dilemma on what to do with my 9 and 11 yr old grandsons on our NCL Epic cruise a couple of weeks ago. I really wanted something so unique that would really be the most special thing they had ever experienced in and around the ocean. I started looking for something special for them, such as the Dolphin encounter in Cozumel, over six months ago. I did a general Google search on underwater and watersport activities available in the ports we were visiting. One very intriguing thread I found was a guy in Roatan that was doing deep ocean dives in a sophisticated submarine he built in Iowa. The sub could make dives to around a thousand meters, and could take two adults, or possibly and adult and two kids to the deep ocean along the Roatan wall. His dock is right in Half Moon bay on the West End of the island. I contacted him and booked the sub, the Idabel, for our port day on April 5th. All I can say is the kids just can't stop talking about the experience. We dived to 2300', spent 4 hours and 20 minutes underwater, and saw the most facinating creatures you can imagine. I shot over 200 stills, and at least 40 minutes of HD video, and the kids shot stills the whole time. As a diver for over 49 years, this was simply the most interesting experience I've ever had underwater. The guy's name is Karl Stanley, and you can do a search of his name, or just add the word submarine. The cost was a little salty, but for the experience, I thought it was priceless.;)

I had the same dilemma on what to do with my 9 and 11 yr old grandsons on our NCL Epic cruise a couple of weeks ago. I really wanted something so unique that would really be the most special thing they had ever experienced in and around the ocean. I started looking for something special for them, such as the Dolphin encounter in Cozumel, over six months ago. I did a general Google search on underwater and watersport activities available in the ports we were visiting. One very intriguing thread I found was a guy in Roatan that was doing deep ocean dives in a sophisticated submarine he built in Iowa. The sub could make dives to around a thousand meters, and could take two adults, or possibly and adult and two kids to the deep ocean along the Roatan wall. His dock is right in Half Moon bay on the West End of the island. I contacted him and booked the sub, the Idabel, for our port day on April 5th. All I can say is the kids just can't stop talking about the experience. We dived to 2300', spent 4 hours and 20 minutes underwater, and saw the most facinating creatures you can imagine. I shot over 200 stills, and at least 40 minutes of HD video, and the kids shot stills the whole time. As a diver for over 49 years, this was simply the most interesting experience I've ever had underwater. The guy's name is Karl Stanley, and you can do a search of his name, or just add the word submarine. The cost was a little salty, but for the experience, I thought it was priceless.;)

Wow sounds incredible! It IS expensive :rolleyes:

Wow sounds incredible! It IS expensive :rolleyes:

You really need to check out several sites that talk about Karl, including National Geographic Adventure magazine, by just doing a google search for Karl Stanley Submarine. My particular dive cost around a grand, for the three of us. I do know there are cheaper dives that are shorter and not as deep, and there is a deeper dive he does that is more expensive. What I also know is this is a once in a lifetime experience that maybe 20,000 people in the world have ever experienced first hand in research subs around the world. My dive was the 800th the Idebel had ever made, and that's since Karl built it in 2002-03.

Archived