Building a bit of momentum for a cruise ship port in Corpus...

*Mach*

No significant airport nor is there a good cruise port. Where would the passengers come from??? We can barely keep the airport in McAllen and Harlingen going. To far to drive from San Antonio and Houston folks will use Galveston.:o

The airport would be a problem. Corpus is nice, but so is Galveston. I'm thinking that we are lucky to have the port in Galveston. Wonder why Houston Port didn't really take off after the improvements, etc.? I know they say the trip to the Gulf is long, but they certainly do it out of NO. Oh Well.

Nancy

Before we discovered cruising, we'd go to Corpus to spend a few weekends each year. About 4 years ago we took our first cruise. Now we cruise at least twice per year, always out of Galveston and we have not been back to Corpus. We now have favorite places in Galveston and start our vacation by arriving a day early. I think it would be great for Corpus to get some of the cruise action. We live between Austin and San Antonio and our drive to Corpus would actually be about 50 miles closer. If one of the itineraries included both Key West and Cozumel, we'd be one of the first to book a cabin.

The airport would be a problem. Corpus is nice, but so is Galveston. I'm thinking that we are lucky to have the port in Galveston. Wonder why Houston Port didn't really take off after the improvements, etc.? I know they say the trip to the Gulf is long, but they certainly do it out of NO.

You're absolutely right about the airport. In fact, the overwhelming majority of folks cruising out of Galvestron drive there ... so getting to Corpus would be impossible for most.

The Houston cruise terminal is a two-pronged screw-up. The terminal is further from Bush Intercontinental than Galveston (at least a two-hour ride ... and at what cost?), in addition to its being built smack-dab in the middle of one of the busiest freight terminals in the country. There's no place to stay, and absolutely nothing to see or do pre- or post-cruise.

The other issue is the logistics. Not only is it difficult to navigate through the Ship Channel into and from the Gulf of Mexico, the volume of traffic on any given day is a huge obstacle (not unlike our freeways ... a freshman civil engineering project if there ever was one). I've spoken with a couple of POH representatives during the normal course of my networking functions. They've all but written it off as a huge mistake ... that'll teach 'em to watch Field of Dreams while under the influence!

A Galveston cruise line rumor

Another Princess anouncement?

RCL and Celebrity anouncement?

Carnival anouncement?

see article in Galveston Daily New today 03/10/11

by Laura Elder about another hotel planned on seawall and cruise rumor.

Within the article is rumor that is the Port of Galveston is about to make yet another big cruise announcement. It is in addition to Princess announment last week!

http://galvestondailynews.com/story/216990

Before we discovered cruising, we'd go to Corpus to spend a few weekends each year. About 4 years ago we took our first cruise. Now we cruise at least twice per year, always out of Galveston and we have not been back to Corpus. We now have favorite places in Galveston and start our vacation by arriving a day early. I think it would be great for Corpus to get some of the cruise action. We live between Austin and San Antonio and our drive to Corpus would actually be about 50 miles closer. If one of the itineraries included both Key West and Cozumel, we'd be one of the first to book a cabin.

We were the same way, every long weekend & a week in the summer we packed up & headed for Port A... then we took our 1st cruise. Now we don't even make it down once a year. Would rather put the money towards our cruise habit.:D

I would be thrilled if Corpus got a ship.

Archived