Do you recommend Cruise Confidential?

MrsMMark

I saw this book in a local bookstore and I have seen it mentioned on these boards, do you recommend it? Is it a "fun" read? I don't want to read a cruise expose book that is going to tell me things I don't want to know or otherwise make me not want to take a cruise. (Ignorance is bliss.)

Thanks in advance for the advice!

I enjoyed it and appreciated the crew more after reading it. I also enjoyed reading about how things work behind the scenes.

It is a fun read about the adventures of the author aboard the ships - which may or may not have been embellished a bit.

It is NOT some expose about how horrible the cruise industry is.

Just so you know, there is a sequel in the works. Should be out any time now.

At the rate he is going the Vegas book will be out first.

I as others also enjoyed a little behind the scenes information.

I read it a year ago. It was by no means classic literature but it did give insight into the inner workings of the Carnival Corporation and the "politics" behind the assignment of tables/areas to the waiters & assistant waiters. I always appreciated the hard work and crazy hours that these staff members put in but reading about it made me realize how difficult it was for them to be away from their homes for so many months.

cdamion-

What will the sequel be about? Life as an art auctioneer?

I thought it was ok at first and then slowed down towards the middle/end. I found that you need to read over a shorter period of time because there were so MANY different names in the book I would forget who that person was when I waited too long in between readings. I really just skimmed the last few chapters because of this. Glad I didn't pay for it.

I downloaded it to my Kindle about a week ago. Was going to save it to read on board, but couldn't resist starting it.:)

Me too! Bought it months ago thinking i could save it to read on my cruise. Started and finished in the last two weeks!

I found it entertaining, but i didn't put too much stock in the 'facts' behind it. I hope there is a sequel, i enjoyed his colloquial writing style :)

Enjoy!

I read it a year ago. It was by no means classic literature but it did give insight into the inner workings of the Carnival Corporation and the "politics" behind the assignment of tables/areas to the waiters & assistant waiters. I always appreciated the hard work and crazy hours that these staff members put in but reading about it made me realize how difficult it was for them to be away from their homes for so many months.

cdamion-

What will the sequel be about? Life as an art auctioneer?

Yes, and it sounds like it might cover Royal Caribbean too. A pilot has also been written based on Cruise Confidential that is currently being shopped to some tv networks.

Check out "The Truth About Cruise Ships"

Author: Jay Herring

Just started it, interesting read.

I did not enjoy this one as much. In my opinion Cruise Confidential was a better read. The Truth About Cruise Ships is about an American officer on board various Carnival ships, so the perspective is a bit different.

I think the book it pretty good, but I'm not sure a non cruise addict would agree ;). I am fairly certain things are embellished for dramatic effect.

His writing style, and bad editing, can make it hard to read at times.

I saw this book in a local bookstore and I have seen it mentioned on these boards, do you recommend it? Is it a "fun" read? I don't want to read a cruise expose book that is going to tell me things I don't want to know or otherwise make me not want to take a cruise. (Ignorance is bliss.)

Thanks in advance for the advice!

Definitely a fun read and would recommend reading it. but then again, that is my opinion

I think the book it pretty good, but I'm not sure a non cruise addict would agree ;). I am fairly certain things are embellished for dramatic effect.

His writing style, and bad editing, can make it hard to read at times.

I agree. It's probably worth a read just because so much of the info in it is interesting to cruisers but it's by no means groundbreaking.

• 2 months later...

Archived