Balcony and a 2 year old

malou82

We are planning an Alaskan cruise on Celebrity Infinity with my 2 year old son and would love to get a balcony but am concerned about him getting out there without me knowing. Has anyone travelled on this ship and know what the locks on the doors are like or have any tips for cruising with him.

How in the world would he get out there without you knowing???? The cabins aren't so large that you won't hear every breath he takes. There are child-locks on the door...no worries!

You're bigger and faster than a 2 year old...you'll keep him safe!

Sailed the Infinity in balcony cabin with my then 5 yo. She couldn't open the door, so it's doubtful your 2 yo will be able to.

If you are still nervous, ask your steward if he/she has some kind of rod or stick that they can put in the door track for you so your toddler won't be able to open it.

We are planning an Alaskan cruise on Celebrity Infinity with my 2 year old son and would love to get a balcony but am concerned about him getting out there without me knowing. Has anyone travelled on this ship and know what the locks on the doors are like or have any tips for cruising with him.

The balcony doors are designed to stop a charging rhino. The door would be difficult for a six year old boy to open and impossible for a two year old boy to open.

Thanks guys

I am a very paranoid person so its a hard decision for me. I'm thinking the balcony because then when we are sailing past the sights I can have my boy in the cabin playing or watching him in the small balcony space, whereas on the deck it will be a lot harder to watch him and I know from our last cruise there were just railings which would be easy to climb. I know I won't but what if I do get distracted with all the amazing sights- but then I think maybe thats just me wanting a balcony.

My biggest fear is he will get up while were still asleep and try to sneak out I'm not worried about any other time as cb at sea said the cabins are small so it will be easy to watch him. He is to big for a port-a-cot so will be on the sofa bed.

Sorry for my ramblings I just need some reassurance

No way he can open it plus there are usually locks up higher on the door that he wouldnt be able to reach. I have diffculty opening it and my 2 and 5 year-old have never been able to open them. The door is way to heavy.

Thanks guys

I am a very paranoid person so its a hard decision for me. I'm thinking the balcony because then when we are sailing past the sights I can have my boy in the cabin playing or watching him in the small balcony space, whereas on the deck it will be a lot harder to watch him and I know from our last cruise there were just railings which would be easy to climb. I know I won't but what if I do get distracted with all the amazing sights- but then I think maybe thats just me wanting a balcony.

My biggest fear is he will get up while were still asleep and try to sneak out I'm not worried about any other time as cb at sea said the cabins are small so it will be easy to watch him. He is to big for a port-a-cot so will be on the sofa bed.

Sorry for my ramblings I just need some reassurance

You are not rambling. You are a good parent for addressing your concerns about the safety of your child. As most people on here have already said, the balcony door is hard to open, and my three year old grandson could not open it. But there are also latches on the doors that he would not be able to reach if he wanted to. You will enjoy having a balcony for the reasons you stated. Your son will enjoy the sites, and you are always within arms reach of him. Enjoy your cruise.

Well, call me paranoid too. I don't think you are crazy at all. I avoid balcony's for just that reason. Maybe it isn't likely but it is a fear I have. That said, I tried the balcony once with my then 3 yr old. Nothing bad happened, but I don't plan to get another balcony until she is older. We just made sure she wasn't ever unattended. There was also no top latch on the sliding door. (We were on the Celebrity Summit) I wasn't comfortable because I felt we always had to watch her. We barricaded the sliding door with the pull out sofa for the remainder of the cruise. I'm not saying that you shouldn't get a balcony because of safety, but you should do what you feel comfortable with.

Hi guys

I've gone for the balcony I figure if I get there and I'm too worried I'm sure at least one person with a window would love to swap us for a balcony.

Thanks for all your help

Hi guys

I've gone for the balcony I figure if I get there and I'm too worried I'm sure at least one person with a window would love to swap us for a balcony.

Thanks for all your help

I don't think they will be able to carry the window upstairs and I am sure you will not be able to carry the balcony downstairs.

It's always good to take precautions. We traveled with our granddaughter on her first cruise a little over a year ago when she was 2 yrs. old. Although I really wasn't concerned that she could manage opening the door, I still had her sleep between my DH and myself. That was mostly so she didn't get up and wander around in the dark. Paranoid? Yep. Overprotective? Yep. Feel that I'm doing everything in my power to keep the child I love protected and safe? You bet your rear I am! How many times have you hear on the news, "I don't know how it happened. I just blinked my eyes for a second.".......

Good for you asking questions so you can be prepared. There is never a silly question when it comes to the safety of your child.

I had the same concerns about our recent cruise on Celebrity's Eclipse. Fortunately, the Eclipse had a second lock at the very top of the sliding glass door that a child could not reach. Also, our DS is 4.5 and is able to understand and follow rules about not going on the balcony alone. We also made sure the balcony furniture was way back and not near the edge.

We had a rule that NO ONE could lift DS over the rail to see better on the ship. In addition, I brought a tension rod (the type for hanging a curtain) to help secure the sliding door. It didn't fit exactly, because it was too thick, and as it turned out, I didn't need it.

I can't speak for other ships, but on the Eclipse, the sliding door was not hard to open, and my son (and I think a younger child) would have absolutely no problem opening it.

It's an individual decision. We ended up really enjoying our balcony and just made sure to make sure all the bases were covered safety-wise.

I had the same concerns about our recent cruise on Celebrity's Eclipse. Fortunately, the Eclipse had a second lock at the very top of the sliding glass door that a child could not reach. Also, our DS is 4.5 and is able to understand and follow rules about not going on the balcony alone. We also made sure the balcony furniture was way back and not near the edge.

We had a rule that NO ONE could lift DS over the rail to see better on the ship. In addition, I brought a tension rod (the type for hanging a curtain) to help secure the sliding door. It didn't fit exactly, because it was too thick, and as it turned out, I didn't need it.

I can't speak for other ships, but on the Eclipse, the sliding door was not hard to open, and my son (and I think a younger child) would have absolutely no problem opening it.

It's an individual decision. We ended up really enjoying our balcony and just made sure all the bases were covered safety-wise.

Not to scare you, but the cabin door is also an issue. On most ships, you can't bolt it shut for safety reasons. The only lock is the electronic key card lock, and a child can easily open it. One recent poster suggested bringing a door alarm. I brought the type of door alarm that also acts as a door stop. It was useless because it didn't fit under the door. If you choose a door alarm, bring the type that hangs on the door.

Not to scare you, but the cabin door is also an issue. On most ships, you can't bolt it shut for safety reasons. The only lock is the electronic key card lock, and a child can easily open it. One recent poster suggested bringing a door alarm. I brought the type of door alarm that also acts as a door stop. It was useless because it didn't fit under the door. If you choose a door alarm, bring the type that hangs on the door.

I'm glad you brought this up. I was planning to buy the door stop alarm. I guess I won't now. :( I have the door knob one and it was shaken loose several times during the night by the motion of the ship (there wasn't bad weather either). Does anyone have a good alarm that works well in the cabin?

Archived