Do many single people cruise?

I'm not looking for a dating service!! ;) :D

I am booked on Azura for its Oct transatlantic cruise in October.

I will be travelling with a female friend.

We are really looking forward to the cruise all aspects of it but wondered if it's more of a family/couples experience.

Don't get me wrong it won't spoil it for us as we can mix with anyone but just wondered what to expect.

I'm not looking for a dating service!! ;) :D

I am booked on Azura for its Oct transatlantic cruise in October.

I will be travelling with a female friend.

We are really looking forward to the cruise all aspects of it but wondered if it's more of a family/couples experience.

Don't get me wrong it won't spoil it for us as we can mix with anyone but just wondered what to expect.

It is almost impossible to predict the demographics of a particular cruise but there is a fair chance that there will be a number of single people, such as you both. If there are, or really if there aren't you will still have a great time on board. I do hope that you both enjoy it.

We certainly didn't get the impression it was a couples type of cruise on Ventura and I'm expecting Azura to be the same. There were lots of families onboard, but also people travelling with friends.

Everyone was very friendly. You couldn't sit down for 2 minutes without striking up a conversation. We really enjoyed that.

On the Ventura last month there was advertised in the daily guide, a single travellers afternoon tea in one of the main dining rooms, on some of the sea days.

So obviously enough do and good luck to them too.

P&O usually hold a daily get together at 10am on sea days for solo travellers, I normally go along whether I am on my own or not. It is the only place to get a free coffee in the morning unless you want to go to the buffet. :)

Ha! I remember that in your 'live from' at Christmas.

Congrats on your 3000 post :D

Its one of the reasons I've chosen Epic for my next cruise.. The fact there are 100 odd solo cabins I think there will be a few more than normal..

On Royal Caribbean they had a solo meet, apparently it tends to be lots of old widowers so I avoided it.. :rolleyes:

Welcome to Cruise Critic

I have made lots of good friends travelling on my own on cruises. They will be mainly female, but IMO P&O are one of the best lines in the way they cater for solo travellers, although personally I find the smaller ships better in that respect. I am sure you'll have a great time.

Thanks for all your replies, both of us are social people so will strike up a conversation with anyone (even if they don't want to chat ;)) but did wonder if there were any not couple, couples travelling - if you know what I mean.

We're both already very excited! :)

Thanks for all your replies, both of us are social people so will strike up a conversation with anyone (even if they don't want to chat ;)) but did wonder if there were any not couple, couples travelling - if you know what I mean.

We're both already very excited! :)

Can I suggest that you look at the roll call thread for this trip, you will find it at http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1300251

You will meet any fellow pax there. :)

hey when I read this thread I thought you meant *solo* - as crusiing is the best holiday for a solo females -- - we do *girls do Sept* and what started off as just me and my sister each year (excellent time with no husbands in the way) we met up with variuos *solo* people over the years and sometimes their are 6 or more of us 'gals' now --and all came about by single travelling -- so you will have no problem at all !

You will be ashore most days anyway - but can join up with others to make the cab fare cheaper and meet even more people :-)

I was on Azura at Xmas and there were plenty of singles on board and a good mix of ages. There are 18 single cabins on Azura, so they will be attracted to her due to the lower premium for singles in those cabins.

The entertainment staff put in a good appearnce at the morning solo travellers get-together.

I did a trans-atlantic on Artemis in 2009 and was on a table of 8 singles. We had great fun.

Hi Catherine

I will be on Azura for the transatlantic cruise and hope to meet up.

I have met lots of people like myself who travel solo and have a great time, in addition to meeting lots of couples who like to chat.

I was on the world cruise on Oriana in September and went to the solo meetings and at each sector there were always lots of new people and the entertainment staff were great with at least 3 or 4 of them attending.

I especially love being on the transatlantics because there is more time at sea and with lots to do. When there is a port, I feel reluctant to get off.

I am sure that you and your friend will enjoy your cruise

Regards

Jo:)

I, too, am wondering about cruising alone. I really want to do the NCL Barcelona to/through Italy, but wonder about the safety factor of being a single middle-aged woman travelor, when we're in port?? I know I'll be fine onboard & have no concerns there, whatsoever. I've cruised before (with friends/family) and really I'm not the type that wanders too far away from the ship, anyhow. I also wonder whether chosing something in Barbados, Aruba & Curacao might be a safer bet to do a loner cruise? Any feedback is welcome - I have already purchased, on a previous cruise, the down payment, thinking I would "buck up" and brave it, LOL!!!

Archived