? about crime in the bahamas...

Twin.Mom1

I've been reading a lot lately on crime against tourist in the bahamas....particularly in crowds, day light near the port.

Has anyone heard of this? Anyone experience anything like this before?

I suppose we are more of a target due to the fact we are unarmed, and typically carrying cash.

I read about about an instance on a segway tour involving over 15 people from 2 different cruise ships.

Typically I wouldn't be concerned, I've been there a few times with my husband however I'm bringing my 2 small children....and just wondering if this is typical?

Are you sure it was "lately?" There was a problem like you describe about a year ago, but they clamped down pretty hard at that time.

You should ask on the Bahamas ports of call board. There is a Nassau resident there who will comment. She doesn't sugar coat anything either.

At this time I wouldn't worry too much. When any port becomes dangerous the ship will temp not continue to use it. Remember we read all kinds of things. I don't blame you for worrying though, I think we all are a bit concerned about some of the ports from time to time.

Nita

Be cautious where ever you go including your hometown. We had heard about the recommendation to use caution in Nassau so we went to Black Beard Cay which was "off the beaten path" and I highly recommend doing that if you're worried.

Archived